Anyone take a service Dog on board ship

lilkrz

I too take my service dog with me when I cruise. I believe that that poor dog that had the accident was probably a little sea sick. ( It affects dogs differently sometimes) Service dogs are usually trained to "go" on command. I have always been offered either a sand box or a plot of grass up on one of the out of the way decks but since my dog is small (only 10 lbs.) she is litter trained like a cat so I just bring her own box and keep it in my room. My husband or myself clean up after her NEVER THE STAFF they have enough to do. My dog too has a life jacket and attends the drill. People laugh at her jacket but she couldn't swim much further than I could. :) There is a lot of paperwork to get a dog on board a ship and you must check with every island yourself to check on the rules about taking your dog off the ship. Some island just require shot records be up to date and the paperwork to proove it, others will not let her off the ship at all. Really the only problem that I have is that everyone wants to pet her and most of us know that that is a big no no, but if she is not working at the time I do allow her a little "worship" time. She really loves the attention but not with her working vest on! She will turn her head and totally ignor others around her. She is a darling and my lifeline and I love her to death. Just incase you couldn't tell.:eek:

I too take my service dog with me when I cruise. I believe that that poor dog that had the accident was probably a little sea sick. ( It affects dogs differently sometimes) Service dogs are usually trained to "go" on command. I have always been offered either a sand box or a plot of grass up on one of the out of the way decks but since my dog is small (only 10 lbs.) she is litter trained like a cat so I just bring her own box and keep it in my room. My husband or myself clean up after her NEVER THE STAFF they have enough to do. My dog too has a life jacket and attends the drill. People laugh at her jacket but she couldn't swim much further than I could. :) There is a lot of paperwork to get a dog on board a ship and you must check with every island yourself to check on the rules about taking your dog off the ship. Some island just require shot records be up to date and the paperwork to proove it' date=' others will not let her off the ship at all. Really the only problem that I have is that everyone wants to pet her and most of us know that that is a big no no, but if she is not working at the time I do allow her a little "worship" time. She really loves the attention but not with her working vest on! She will turn her head and totally ignor others around her. She is a darling and my lifeline and I love her to death. Just incase you couldn't tell.:eek:[/quote']

She sounds like a awesome dog! Just curious, what type of dog is she.

You said she was only 10 pounds....I don't think I ever seen a service dog quite that small.

Thanks!

She sounds like a awesome dog! Just curious, what type of dog is she.

You said she was only 10 pounds....I don't think I ever seen a service dog quite that small.

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing. I own a dog who is only four pounds and I just can't picture a 10 pound service dog. But then again I think we always assume a service dog is for the blind but they are used alot for others with siezures or wheelchair bound....etc...

I was thinking the same thing. I own a dog who is only four pounds and I just can't picture a 10 pound service dog. But then again I think we always assume a service dog is for the blind but they are used alot for others with siezures or wheelchair bound....etc...

4 lbs? What kind do you have. Mine is 112lbs..LOL! He's a golden retriever.

RVRGIRL Sorry that I took so long to answer. My dog is a Japanese Chin. She can detect seizures, drop or increase in blood sugar, pending migrain, and problems that I have with my MS. She is a wonderful dog and my lifeline. They are starting to use smaller dogs for things like she does and also the hearing impaired. I recently saw an article on MSNBC.com that a Chihuahua (sp) has been made a drug sniffing dog in Cleveland, OH. People have an idea of what a small dog is suppose to be, a yappy baby but if you really think just how close most small dogs are to their owners,not that big dogs aren't, and what they will often do if their owner is in need. I realize that most people don't know of the small service dogs and I'm very proud to tell everyone how wonderful she is.

Hope to see you soon cruising.

RVRGIRL Sorry that I took so long to answer. My dog is a Japanese Chin. She can detect seizures' date=' drop or increase in blood sugar, pending migrain, and problems that I have with my MS. She is a wonderful dog and my lifeline. They are starting to use smaller dogs for things like she does and also the hearing impaired. I recently saw an article on MSNBC.com that a Chihuahua (sp) has been made a drug sniffing dog in Cleveland, OH. People have an idea of what a small dog is suppose to be, a yappy baby but if you really think just how close most small dogs are to their owners,not that big dogs aren't, and what they will often do if their owner is in need. I realize that most people don't know of the small service dogs and I'm very proud to tell everyone how wonderful she is.

Hope to see you soon cruising.[/quote']

She sounds wonderful! Now that I think, I did see a program on tv regarding that kind of service dog. Makes sense to breed smaller dogs for that type of work. When someone mentions service dogs...I tend to always picture a retreiver of some sort LOL!

It just amazes me what these animals are capable of learning/doing. Mine (who is no where near a service dog) amazes me sometimes LOL!

It's great you have her to help you live a better life while batteling MS.

It would be great to meet on a ship one day! Good luck!

4 lbs? What kind do you have. Mine is 112lbs..LOL! He's a golden retriever.

UbutlWAMqxcB8WKawA8CJaGX4rfKpkNx0060.jpg

This is Lola. She is a chug (chihuahua/pug). She is 13 months old and will not get any bigger. She is so loved and spoiled. I can see where these little ones are used as service dogs. She is so smart and very loving. Not that I am bias or anything.....LOL

UbutlWAMqxcB8WKawA8CJaGX4rfKpkNx0060.jpg

This is Lola. She is a chug (chihuahua/pug). She is 13 months old and will not get any bigger. She is so loved and spoiled. I can see where these little ones are used as service dogs. She is so smart and very loving. Not that I am bias or anything.....LOL

What a cutie! And great name LOL! Thanks for sharing!

The mother of my friend, who is known as Coral on the cruisecritic boards, is blind. They have taken several cruises with "Erin". Click on this link http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum26.html and you will see several photos of Erin, her mother's service dog. She is adorable and the pictures will show you that Erin has no problems taking a cruise. Please be kind in any remarks to this post as this can be a sensative subject to many who read the boards. There is much preparation when Erin travels and many documents must be obtained. And yes, Erin does participate in the Emergency drill with her life jacket!

Diane

Here is a link to a great article that Pam Kane wrote about "Island Dog" Erin http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCP/is_6_23/ai_86040173

Archived