flight time allowance at LAX?

schmidlapp

We're on ATN on the way back from tahiti arriving LAX at 10:10AM in the morning of feb 1.(it was 8:30 previously) ATN changed the flight time recently and we think we'll have a tough time making our connection to a United flight we booked using credit card points. This flight departs at 11am. my question is does anyone know if ATN is early, on time or late

arriving in LAX? (as a rule??) I'm not sure if i should try to change my

LAX departure to account for this. I'm leaning toward trying to make a change to a later flight.... Any suggestions appreciated...

I'm not going to let this ruin what is shaping up to be the trip of a lifetime.

2wks on the PG !!!!

That's not leaving much time for your bags to off load and be re-loaded and what if the plane is late.......I myself would change your domestic flight to something later. Just cutting it a little too close. Our ATN flight was early into LAX by about 20 minutes.

Pat

That is absolutely not enough time to make it. When you arrive back at LAX you will have to claim your bags and go through immigration and customs. Then you will have to change terminals because ATN arrives at Tom Bradley International Terminal and United flies out of terminals 6 through 8. If ATN won't check you all the way through for your United flights as well (I don't know which airlines they are partners with), then you will also have to check in for your United flight.

My aunt just flew back from Australia a few weeks ago via LAX. Even with 3 hours between her flights and not having to change terminals and not check in for her next flight (all her flights were on American), she still missed her flight home due to customs delays.

Even if ATN is a bit early (which is not something to count on) you can't get thru customs and to the other terminal...one can never count on things going smoothly at LAX...and the possibility of ATN being late???

I'd change it!

Carol

(The PG is wonderful....we did it 7/06)...wish we were scheduled again!!!!

They said that 3 hours is usually enough time between flights. I hope that this is true and that wrp96 aunt's story is the exception. I think that I have 3 and a half hours between flights and I have to claim my luggage, recheck it and change terminals. Maybe I'm rushing it too much. This is all causing me some anxiety. I hope there's others out there that can shed more light on this. Thanks

A couple of years ago when we were on the PG we had three hours between flights and almost didnt make it. The customs really held us up and then the lines to hand over baggage etc.

ATN was an hour late as well.

Air Tahiti Nui and United are not partner airlines. United and Air New Zealand are Star Alliance partners. So, you will probably have to claim your bags, go through customs and change terminals at LAX. If by chance you are flying business or 1st class, you will get special treatment and priority bag handling. If not, you will wait with the rest of us. LAX can be a zoo. We waited a very long time for our luggage from the Air New Zealand flight we were on when we returned from Papeete. Regardless, 3 hours should be enough. I would do a little checking in advance on the best way to get from the international terminal to the United terminal--LAX always seems to have some sort of construction!

United Airlines is the next terminal over from The Tom Bradley International Terminal. Last May, our ATN Flight arrived in the morning and we were out of Immigration and Customs within an hour after landing. We live here so we did not need to go through security to re-board another flight. When you land and go through security, there are two areas - one for US citizens and the other for Non US passengers. US Citizens have further to walk to clear immigration and then second you must clear customs. Two separate lines. Customs was quick, because all I claimed were souveniers - and pearls which were strung - no duty to pay.

The problem is that the UAL Terminal is busy and security at LAX is very high because it's been targeted by terrorists on a number of occasions. Last time we flew UAL, our plane was on a special security watch and every passenger was required to be "wanded" and bags hand searched.

So if you clear quickly you will take your luggage, check bags - again, go through security - Again. You might make it, but, I would allow for additional time. It's close. Oh, and LAX is expanding their runways so there are some flight delays.

There is no way!

We had a flight on AA into LAX and were trying to connect to their partner Hawaiian Airlines heading to Hawaii and it was considered an illegal connection, since it was under 1 hour and that was with our luggage going straight through and not having to go through customs.

I think you are doing the wise thing in finding a later flight on UAL.

Archived