Best place to buy leather coats

shifty

We will be on a Celebrity cruise in January (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires), and are looking for suggestions for the best place to buy both women's and men's leather coats. We will also be spending a day prior to the cruise in Santiago, if that's a good place for such items.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Mike S

I agree with dileep - best leathers are in Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

In BA I got a custom made carpincho jacket (native animal to Argentina, similiar to pigskin) and DH got a custom made italian calf skin jacket. Both together ran us $900 for total custom jackets which fit perfectly and have nice details.

We bought them in the Recoleta, at a place called Uru (or Oro?). Maybe we could have gotten them cheaper somewhere else as the Recoleta is a pricey area, but we were as concerned with style as we were with quality and price. In some other parts of BA we saw some high quality pieces for less money but boring styles.

Given the choice, I would buy all leather products (as well as pretty much anything else) in Argentina. Considering that their dollar is the equivalent of three American dollars... everything, and I mean everything is a bargan.

I had a fantastic leather jacket made this past July in B.A, Argentina. I would highly reccomend a store called Bettina Rizzi. She is so good that she even does trunk shows in Rome and the U.S. There are no jackets for purchase "off the rack", as all jackets are custom made. You pick the style, the leather, the colour, the zippers, the pockets, ect and they will have it ready for you in 24 hours.

What really impressed me was that they made a jacket to fit in that time period. I say this as I am very tiny. They measured me, made my jacket, and remade/altered my jacket three times to make sure that it fit like a glove!! Talk about service! There is no way that I could every get a jacket off the rack to fit me like the one that they made me. And the best part- I got a custom made green lambskin leather jacket for only $225 dollars!!!!

The name of the store is Bettina Rizza, and it is found at 547 Paraguay St. (just off of Florida Street).

I assure you that if you go there you will be very happy with any item that is made for you.

Jane,

How long did it take for coats to be ready? Or, did they send to your home?

Tak

Less than 24 hours.

We ordered them at about 2:00PM and they were ready the next day by 10:00AM.

Everything was perfect.

It was a rush job, because that was the day our ship was sailing. Normally they'd prefer to have a couple of days, but we didn't find the store til then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shifty--we are doing the same cruise in december (2006), and was looking for the same answer. years ago in BUE --there were several places on florida

street which starts at san martin plaza. i picked up two coats at a store near the marriott plaza which was on the same side of the street as the hotel, and i believe a block or two east of it. of course, that entire block may have changed. more upscale than the florida shopping avenue, is several popular malls (porteños). also look at this site

http://www.easybuenosairescity.com/shopping.htm#Cueros

***please --if you hear of a specific good place --pls let me know.

<fenfield@charter.net> thanks freddiee

We will be on a Celebrity cruise in January (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires), and are looking for suggestions for the best place to buy both women's and men's leather coats. We will also be spending a day prior to the cruise in Santiago, if that's a good place for such items.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Mike S

Last April we had great shopping experience at a leather store on Marcelo T. de Alvear, just across the street from the side entrance of the Marriott in Buenos Aires. It's quite large, huge selection and friendly staff. A jacket my wife liked did not fit well and they did not have another. They figured out the adjustments and said they would mail it to us from Florida. We paid US$10 for shipping and gave us instructions to mail a check to their Florida bank after the jacket arrived at our home. The jacket arrived about a month later and fit perfectly. We mailed a personal check to their bank. Strange way to do business but we were very satisfied and would shop there again. We also avoided US customs by doing it this way. Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the store but it's easy to pick out because they keep the door locked and a guard is posted to let you in and out.

George

• 1 month later...
Given the choice, I would buy all leather products (as well as pretty much anything else) in Argentina. Considering that their dollar is the equivalent of three American dollars... everything, and I mean everything is a bargan.

I had a fantastic leather jacket made this past July in B.A, Argentina. I would highly reccomend a store called Bettina Rizzi. She is so good that she even does trunk shows in Rome and the U.S. There are no jackets for purchase "off the rack", as all jackets are custom made. You pick the style, the leather, the colour, the zippers, the pockets, ect and they will have it ready for you in 24 hours.

What really impressed me was that they made a jacket to fit in that time period. I say this as I am very tiny. They measured me, made my jacket, and remade/altered my jacket three times to make sure that it fit like a glove!! Talk about service! There is no way that I could every get a jacket off the rack to fit me like the one that they made me. And the best part- I got a custom made green lambskin leather jacket for only $225 dollars!!!!

The name of the store is Bettina Rizza, and it is found at 547 Paraguay St. (just off of Florida Street).

I assure you that if you go there you will be very happy with any item that is made for you.

I also got my jacket custom made at Bettina this week and I saved a great deal from Recolletta prices,. Many Americans shop there!!! Very nice people and trustworthy.

marty

I also got my jacket custom made at Bettina this week and I saved a great deal from Recolletta prices,. Many Americans shop there!!! Very nice people and trustworthy.

marty

I am glad that you are happy with your jacket. They were such a fantastic group of people that I would not hesitate to sing thier praises.

I am glad that you are happy with your jacket. They were such a fantastic group of people that I would not hesitate to sing thier praises.

They also recommended stores on Florida street (up the corner) for gloves and wallets.

You must allow two days for a leather coat unless your willing to forgo the final fitting. They are closed on Sundays except for large groups who independently arrange for a visit to the store.

Tour guides generally take people to Recoleta where the stores and prices are fancier.

Hope someone benefits from the information Canadian Red and I are sharing with you.

marty:)

btw while in BA think Empanadas

Archived