What's the story wth luggage locks???

ymelancon

I'm cruising for the first time and I've read several threads from people saying not to use luggage locks, but at the same time I don't want a baggage handler at the airport to be able to just go into my luggage. Any advice??? Help!:confused:

If you are flying you either have to leave it unlocked or you have to purchase luggage with the TSA approved locks (they can open those). If you put a regular lock on it, they will cut it/break it/etc. However, once you claim your luggage at the airport, or if you are driving to port, the cruiselines have not yet adopted this rule so you can lock it at that time.

We use cable ties on our luggage these days. If the TSA wants to check your luggage they are a lot less expensive to replace than a lock. Just put a nail clipper in an outside pocket of your luggage to remove them and extra ties for the trip home.

I agree with the cable ties. I get the neon color ones at Walmart, that way if the suitcase is opened, I'll know, most people and places will have the white or clear ones to replace it with, not the neon colors.

You can also buy TSA approved locks that have an indicator that will let you know if it has been opened. They are a bit more expensive than the regualar TSA locks, but its another possibility.

At our airport, nail clippers will be taken away from you if they are on a carry on. We bring a pack of matches and just burn the cables off - takes about a second. And best part, no problems going through the scanners at the airport.

I agree with the cable ties. I get the neon color ones at Walmart, that way if the suitcase is opened, I'll know, most people and places will have the white or clear ones to replace it with, not the neon colors.

Exactly. Keep a different color one in a zippered pocket just in case they replace it, you'll know. Keep a few spares in your carry on.

At our airport, nail clippers will be taken away from you if they are on a carry on. We bring a pack of matches and just burn the cables off - takes about a second. And best part, no problems going through the scanners at the airport.

Pretty much at "all" airports. Just put a cheap pair of nail clippers in and outside pocket.

Nailclippers being allowed for carry on depend alot on the person inspecting the bags and whether the clippers have a file (blade) attached. My mother lost hers last May when they inspected her carryon. Funny thing was, it was on the way back home! go figure.

Archived