Wheelchair accessibility in Grand Cayman?

CruisinOnWheels

We are taking our first ever cruise 12/3/06 on the Rhapsody...hubbie is in a wheelchair, can take a few steps.

Can anyone tell us about the wheelchair accessibilit we will encounter when we leave the ship...and what excursions/activities may be handicapped accessible or at least offer assistance?

Any info you can give us is greatly appreciated!

Leaving the ship will be the hard part. Grand Cayman is a tender port, which means you are transported back and forth from the ship to the dock at the port by smaller boats. The seas around Grand Cayman can get very rough since the ship is sitting in open water without any sort of protection. The ship is not in a protected bay or anything.

On our last visit, getting on the tender boats went OK. There was some rocking, but we all got in the tender boats without difficulty. The problem was in the afternoon, the seas had started to get rough and the waves were very rocky. We all had a very difficult time getting off the tender and back onto the ship. A big wave would come and move the tender away from the ship's ramp or move suddenly and slam against the ship. The tender boat would lurch suddenly up and down or away from the ship. There were many times that they had to pause unloading passengers. Many people had difficulty.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your plans, but you do need to be aware of the possible risks and difficulties at Grand Cayman. You shouldn't have difficulty in any ports which are not tender ports.

Leaving the ship will be the hard part. Grand Cayman is a tender port, which means you are transported back and forth from the ship to the dock at the port by smaller boats. The seas around Grand Cayman can get very rough since the ship is sitting in open water without any sort of protection. The ship is not in a protected bay or anything.

On our last visit, getting on the tender boats went OK. There was some rocking, but we all got in the tender boats without difficulty. The problem was in the afternoon, the seas had started to get rough and the waves were very rocky. We all had a very difficult time getting off the tender and back onto the ship. A big wave would come and move the tender away from the ship's ramp or move suddenly and slam against the ship. The tender boat would lurch suddenly up and down or away from the ship. There were many times that they had to pause unloading passengers. Many people had difficulty.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your plans, but you do need to be aware of the possible risks and difficulties at Grand Cayman. You shouldn't have difficulty in any ports which are not tender ports.

I'll confirm what's said here....you need to talk to the cruise line and determine what provisions they have for you in Cayman, or any tendering port. Getting on and off the tenders can be challenging under the best of circumstances. On the other hand it is certainly not the first time they have had to provide accommodations so I think there's a chance they'll have a decent answer for you. I'd call and ask....

My Mom used a wheelchair for our visit in 2005. The staff were very good about helping her in and out of the tender. I don't think the sea was very rough that day so that wasn't an issue. However, we tried to do some shopping right near the port and it wasn't easy. In many places the sidewalk was buckled so that we had to go up or down 2-3 inches. It wasn't impossible to navigate, but you really had to watch out. The bigger issue was that many of the shops had a step or two at the entrance. She wasn't able to go into any of the shops themselves.

We also did the island tour with stops at the Turtle Farm and Hell. I remember that working out quite well. Again, the driver/staff helped stow the wheelchair in the bus.

Donna

My MIL was also in a wheelchair on our Rhapsody Nov 2003 cruise (pre-knee replacement surgery) and I agree with above posters..... the day we were there it was very calm and we had no problems getting her in and out of the tender.... she could walk tho.... albeit was painful. The staff was very helpful....

once on land tho near the port area getting around was definately a challenge. Sidewalks were a mess if there were any at all..... alot of the time we walked in the street (and kept our fingers crossed)

I would not rule out going ashore at all.... but perhaps do a lot of research and find a nice tour type excursion.....

Archived