Dream dropping Roatan?

nonnie1996

Unfortunately, this change has been in place for quite a while. It's too bad -- Roatan was a great port. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but RCCL purchased the port area, or acquired the rights, or whatever the correct terminology is. Apparently they're going to invest significant $$$ in upgrading the port and other development activities, and it was soon after that was announced that Roatan started disappearing from the NCL itineraries.

Thanks for the information. They just removed Roatan yesterday on the website and I was confused. I am glad we waited. I will have to check and see if the Grand Princess is still stoping there. Also, discovered that I put the wrong date. It Sails on Jan. 6, 2007. My bad.

Some of the 11 day ones may still be stopping at Roatan, but they've eliminated it from the regular 7 day weekly sailings from both New Orleans and Houston.

I don't really know if the RCCL acquisition has anything to do with it, but the fact that it disappeared from the Texaribbean sailings about that time makes me a little curious.

OK - I have to say I'm glad and it was one reason I booked NCL again. I do NOT like Roatan and was glad it was taken from the stops. Tried it twice. It can be a pretty place but it is very drug infested and just not safe. We did do it on our own both times and did go to the West Bay Beach which was pretty. BUT I like many other ports much better... Just had to add a little two cents in.. :p Sorry - I know I'm in the minority here but I am glad they dropped it. Debbie

The Bad Thing Is That They Have Not Replaced It With Another Port But Added A Sea Day. Sea Days Are O.k. But Two In A Row Is Not As Fun As A Port Day, So I Am A Little Disappointed At That. I Am Sorry You Did Not Enjoy Roatan, Others Seem To Really Enjoy It.:)

Major bummer!!

Roatan is so un-spoiled. No Starbucks or McDonalds to greet you at the pier. Beautiful island, people are poor but very friendly.

In addition to RCCL, Carnival is still including Roatan on 7 night cruises. In fact we just booked a cruise for next Fall that will have me in Roatan on my birthday. Whoo-hoo!!

Major bummer!!

Roatan is so un-spoiled. No Starbucks or McDonalds to greet you at the pier. Beautiful island, people are poor but very friendly.

In addition to RCCL, Carnival is still including Roatan on 7 night cruises. In fact we just booked a cruise for next Fall that will have me in Roatan on my birthday. Whoo-hoo!!

You should have been there about 8-9 years ago.....it's become very commercial from then to now (no not starbucks or mcdonalds but still a lot more local commercial activity). Heck I remember when there was only one paved road on the entire island and the main bridge was two pieces of wood across a canal. It was better when it was still undiscovered by the cruise lines but I still love that place.

OK - I have to say I'm glad and it was one reason I booked NCL again. I do NOT like Roatan and was glad it was taken from the stops. Tried it twice. It can be a pretty place but it is very drug infested and just not safe. We did do it on our own both times and did go to the West Bay Beach which was pretty. BUT I like many other ports much better... Just had to add a little two cents in.. :p Sorry - I know I'm in the minority here but I am glad they dropped it. Debbie

Not safe? you must be kidding: drugs maybe, they are on every Caribbean Island as well as the gulf, but I can't think of a friendlier island, nor one that I felt safer. We hired a driver on one stop and did the entire island as well as a beach stop for a few hours: one time we did the ships tour to Tabyana beach and one time our concierge arranged a tour to a small private island. Was it as nice or safe as say? Aruba or Barbados? Probably not; still I can't think of many islands I would rather visit and we have been to about every one there is. NMnita

Major bummer!!

We may see you in Roatan.. We are booking in Oct. of next year with Carnival just because it still goes to Roatan.. My husband and I fell in love with the place..

NMNita - I understand what you are saying but it is just my opinion and my hubby's. :o I had to push him off the boat last December to try Roatan again after our trip there in 1999. So we gave it two chances 6 years apart. So we just don't like it. Aruba, Barbadoes, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios Jamaica, Curacao, Martinique, Dominica (Favorite!), St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassau Bahamas, St. Martin, Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Progresso, Playa Del Carmen, Private Island off Dominican Republic, Cococay, Labadee, and I'm sure I missed some ports all rank much higher too me. Each his own right?? :confused: I'm still normal... haha :eek: :D Debbie

The Bad Thing Is That They Have Not Replaced It With Another Port But Added A Sea Day. Sea Days Are O.k. But Two In A Row Is Not As Fun As A Port Day, So I Am A Little Disappointed At That. I Am Sorry You Did Not Enjoy Roatan, Others Seem To Really Enjoy It.:)

I wrote at length about this subject last year when many argued sailing to Progresso when Cancun was closed after Hurricane Rita. There's just not enough time to sail to Progresso and Roatan on the same cruise sailing from Houston/Galveston with stops in Cosumel and Belize City.

Take a close look at this winter's itinerary. The biggest change from last year to this year, besides dropping Roatan, is that the Dream will port in Progresso.

Remember, the top speed of the Dream is 21 knots, or 24 miles per hour.

Let's review the distances:

Houston to Progresso = 660 miles in 40 hours = 16.5 mph

Progresso to Playa Del Carmen/Cosumel = 280 miles in 16 hours = 17.5 mph

Cosumel to Belize City = 230 miles in 14 hours = 16.5 mph

Belize City to Houston = 1070 miles in 62 hours = 17.25 mph

Progresso is significantly out of the direct path from Houston to Cosumel that there's no time to sail to Roatan, and get back to Houston in 7 days.

Just like last year, there wasn't enough time to sail to Roatan and still sail to Progresso vs Cancun.

FYI, the distance between Belize City and Roatan is 150 miles. To go there and back is 300 miles. At 15 mph it is 10 hours each way, or a total of 20 hours. Assuming you would like a 8 to 10 hour stay in Roatan, I'll add 9 hours to the 20, for a total of 29 more hours to this year's itinerary. That's 5 hours more than another whole day. You couldn't possibly add Roatan to this year's Dream itinerary even if it were an 8 day cruise, much less a 7 day cruise.

If one argued that NCL could by increasing the ship's speed back on the return leg, let's see how long it would take to do so from Belize City to Houston at top speed. 1070 miles/24 mph = 45 hours, only saving 17 hours, when you need 29 hours.

But, the Dream could go to Progresso, Playa/Cosumel, Roatan, and Belize City on an 8 day cruise, go ing as fast as it can on the return leg back to Houston. There's no way the Dream can do so on a 7 day cruise.

NMNita - I understand what you are saying but it is just my opinion and my hubby's. :o I had to push him off the boat last December to try Roatan again after our trip there in 1999. So we gave it two chances 6 years apart. So we just don't like it. Aruba, Barbadoes, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios Jamaica, Curacao, Martinique, Dominica (Favorite!), St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassau Bahamas, St. Martin, Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Progresso, Playa Del Carmen, Private Island off Dominican Republic, Cococay, Labadee, and I'm sure I missed some ports all rank much higher too me. Each his own right?? :confused: I'm still normal... haha :eek: :D Debbie
This is why there are so many choices; some of your favorites are ours as well and some we wouldn't get off the ship again: Aruba, Curacoa, Dominica, BArbados are favorites: At the top of our list is probably either Barbados or Dominica and at the bottom, any place in Jamaica, Belize and Nassau. Our first trip to Tortola we loved because of Virgin Gorda, but in april DD and I were there (didn't do VG) we thought the people were the rudest we had ever seen, followed by those in St Thomas. They could have cared less about us, only our dollars. One of the very few islands we have never hit is Marinique, but my cliant have all said the people are rude as well. NMNita

NMNita - I understand what you are saying but it is just my opinion and my hubby's. :o I had to push him off the boat last December to try Roatan again after our trip there in 1999. So we gave it two chances 6 years apart. So we just don't like it.

I'm just curious if you did any excursions? We were there twice in 2 years. The first time we didn't do an excursion and didn't care for Roatan at all. The second time we did excursions and had a good time (would have been better but one of the people working for the excursion operator was way too drunk)

Roatan is far less developed than many ports and because of this is less desirable to lots of people

jmo

-Monte

I'm just curious if you did any excursions? We were there twice in 2 years. The first time we didn't do an excursion and didn't care for Roatan at all. The second time we did excursions and had a good time (would have been better but one of the people working for the excursion operator was way too drunk)

Roatan is far less developed than many ports and because of this is less desirable to lots of people

jmo

-Monte

Jim, yes we did and that does make a difference I am sure: We can't stand Belize, problem: 1st trip we had a very bad experience on a tour (private one, we had booked via the net) so the last time we just tendered in and walked around for a few minutes. St Lucia, the same, we didn't do a tour and hated the place: I was hurrassed by venders, it was dirty, the streets were torn up; just awful. As for Roatan: the first trip we did the ships excrusion to the beach and snorkeling (best snorkeling in the world) and fairly good lunch; the second time, we got together with about 3 others and hired a driver: the van was brand new, the driver very friendly and the beach resort he took us to was wonderful. (the snorkeling wasn't very good) the last time, 2 years ago, the concierge arranged a tour for us to a private island owned by an American family. Apparently he did this every week for a group of 12. Of couse someone was greasing his palm I am sure, but it was wonderful. We had a huge shrimp salad for lunch, snorkeling, boating, swimming, and other water sports. There were only the 12 of us so it was exceptionally nice. I guess that is why I always loved Roatan, plus the friendly people and the beauty of the island.

As for a drunken guide, that is scary and I can believe it. Our church women's group sponsors a missionary in Hondorus. About once every couple of years she comes to visit us and reports on the progress or lack of the same. The situation there, even in Roatan isn't good at all: Aids is rampet, there is a lot of alcoholiam and the as has been said, it is very poor. The good thing, those who are religious and there are many are so very much so.

They will walk miles over fields with no pathways 2 and 3 times a week to go to church. Darn, I have trouble driving the 2 miles once a week. Well, that's another subject. I do wish NCL was still cruising there but right now RCI has interferred. Darn them anyway. LOL

Nita

Let me clarify - the first time we did on our own with another couple to Anthony Keys Resort and we had numerous problems at the resort and off. You could also see that the locals bathrooms were an outhouse at the end of a pier. Very very poor. The next we went with two other couples to the West Bay Beach - very pretty - with a van driver (at least this time I knew how to negotiate and I made sure he was to stay with us the whole day - very important). Drugs were so bad. I’m not talking pot like Jamaica but CRACK... Even in talking to our van driver who was very nice he said a lot of people from Roatan that can get out are and a lot of mainland Honduras people are coming over and the drugs are getting worse. Next time you are there really open your eyes and look around - seriously. It is sad and getting more dangerous. It can be pretty but personally I prefer just about any other island as they are all pretty. By the way - Martinique we did a tour to the black sand beaches and it was very pretty and a nice snorkel tour. We didn’t have a problem with locals but we didn’t get past the port area other than the tour but the island itself is a pretty rainforest island. I just didn’t see Roatan as a rainforest island - not as pretty as Jamaica say. Or Dominica which is so pretty. The locals were nice enough in Roatan but it was the whole atmosphere. One really cool thing I will always remember is that we had a back aft balcony and we were docked at Roatan and when I woke up I walked out on the balcony with coffee I made and the roosters were crowing so loud it sounded like there were hundreds of them - really a neat (different) experience and hubby could hear it and got out of bed to come outside. Pretty view of the harbor and all the roosters crowing - it was nice... Debbie

Archived