Jewel--Istanbul to Athens

Mountaineers2

I relived my holiday reading your wonderful review of this cruise and I agreed with everything you wrote.

However, I also managed to come down with the GI illness. What I would like to say about this unfortunate end to my fabulous holiday was firstly, I did get all necessary vaccinations before leaving home. I'm sure I did not catch it in Istanbul, as some passengers were told (took too long to become ill). I didn't eat off the ship except in the luxury hotel in Cairo which was part of the ships tour. I didn't do the overnight trip in Cairo. I have cruised with NCL before (Jewel) last year (Sun) in 2004 and they never waive the charge for doctor consultation $78, they did this time. I was given 2 injections $115 which I had to pay for but luckily I had my own medication for the runny bots. I was so ill, I don't remember packing and have vague recollection of travelling home. I would really like to know how many people became ill on this ship.

n.

Thank you for reading my review. It's pretty cut and dry but a detailed rundown of a trip like that could take volumes! We really had a great time. I'm so sorry about your GI troubles. A lot of people had that. We, however had the head and chest bug. I was with a crew member who had it on the first day we boarded and after shaking hands just knew I was doomed. I won't say who it was but someone a lot of us came in contact with. I had it worse than my husband. I think there were a lot with our illness too. Everyone in our group seemed to have it. At first it was like a head cold but then it settled in my chest. It's still there but much better. I wondered if the ship was obligated to report breakouts like this? We would not have been counted since we didn't seek the Dr. treatment. I do know of at least 5-6 others who had what we had. The cruise after us also had problems. It's the first time I've ever had a problem with illness on a ship. It's a shame that they didn't have servers for the food in the Garden Cafe earlier in the week to help prevent some of the germs from spreading.

Interestingly, a couple of days after my wife's GI problems she came down with some kind of respiratory/cold affliction that plagued her for a few days. However, my dentist had given me an antibiotic prescription in case a tooth I need fixed flared up and she took that and it helped. By the way, I read a review of the Athens to Istanbul cruise right after this one and someone said you were not allowed to serve yourself in the buffet the whole cruise---not just the last couple of days as in ours. Again, I think that is a good precaution even though it is sometimes difficult to explain just what you want at the salad bar.

Interestingly, a couple of days after my wife's GI problems she came down with some kind of respiratory/cold affliction that plagued her for a few days. However, my dentist had given me an antibiotic prescription in case a tooth I need fixed flared up and she took that and it helped. By the way, I read a review of the Athens to Istanbul cruise right after this one and someone said you were not allowed to serve yourself in the buffet the whole cruise---not just the last couple of days as in ours. Again, I think that is a good precaution even though it is sometimes difficult to explain just what you want at the salad bar.

They knew they had health problems with our group so were trying to avoid more for the next cruise. But, I wonder how well they clean the cabins. As I said, next cruise I'm taking wipes and cleaning the doors, phone, remote, safe and other surfaces we touch before we settle in. We were very careful about cleaning our hands when out. I think the Cafe is a hotbed of germs on the serving spoons. I'm glad they realize that too. Not fun to be sick on vacation. Glad you are better now!

Thank for very nice informative review.

Can you tell me were Jewel docks in IZMIR ? Is it in "passport-harbour" (so, right in the city-center, Konak square) or in "industrial-harbour" (and how far is that from city-center)?.

Thanks.

We were on the Jewel on 9th October sailing and docked at Izmir in the industrial port on a headland north of Passaport Harbour. We must have been offered about 500 taxis in the few minutes it took us to walk out of the port (charging 10 euros flat fare to the town centre, but would no doubt drop you at their friend's carpet shop). I think they were also offering Ephesus for 40 euros but I am not sure whether that was one way or return. Once we escaped the port it was a pleasant walk along the sea front to the town centre. There is an information kiosk in the port giving out maps but it did not help us much as we were looking for the bazaar and it was not shown ! If I have done it right the relevant part of the map together with a few of my notes should be attached to this posting.

We later found "shopping district" marked in very feint red on the the map which pretty much covers the bazaar area and loads of other pedestrianised shopping streets around it. We walked to Passaport Harbour and turned left into a fairly major road called "Gazi Bulvari". We then asked for directions and had to turn right but I cannot remember the name of the road - as the area is so large I think most turnings on the right from there would lead through. It was probably a little over a mile altogether before we reached the bazaar, but that was nothing compared to the miles we walked around the shops !!!! I love Turkey and don't mind a bit of bartering but there was far less hassle in Izmir than in the major resorts we have visited. There was a touristy part (Turkish delight from 3 lira = just over £1 for a KILO and the vendor insisted on gift wrapping it for no extra charge !!) but most of it was local people buying shoes, clothes, jewellery, leather etc. I got 4 pairs of sandals for about £2 - £3 a pair and also a nice leather jacket, which was the main purpose of our visit, but that did take a little good humoured haggling - don't be afraid to walk out of shops if you don't like the price, and work towards at least 30 - 40% off the price they originally quote for leather coats etc.

Thoroughly exhausted by this time, we did spend the 10 euros for a taxi back to the ship. The majority of our fellow passengers went to Ephesus, and most of those who remained in Izmr seemed to be disappointed. I must admit, the town itself is not particularly beautiful and I don't think there is a beach, but the shopping is fun !

Hello (Paul&Kathy),

we are just back from the 09-oct-2006 Norwegian Jewel, and indeed the walk from Harbour to Konak-square is about 45-50 minutes, some 3,5-4 km. A niec walk along the Ataturk-Caddesi and the beach-promenade.

When going left on Konak-square you just walk right in shopping-centre and bazaar, where there are also very nice (karavaan-)seray's, where nomades in former time stay overnight and now this are very nice places to rest and eat/drink something.

Noorderdam.

Archived