Savor Caribbean Program???

Alaska Boo

I was on the Celebrity website, checking out prices for my Jan. 2007 cruise on Millie, and I noticed that they are offering a "Savor Caribbean" program, which includes on-board cooking demonstrations during at sea days and demos and meals at restaurants at some of the ports of call. Each such demo comes at an extra price, it appears, and the demos at sea are very limited enrollment. It is intriguing, but I wondered if anyone here had any experience with this program? Don't want to take one of the few slots available if it is not something I would really like. (I usually love cooking demos, enjoy learning about regional cuisines, and I am a fairly experienced cook.) Is this a good program? Or is it so basic that I wouldn't get much out of it? I really appreciate any and all input.

Vanessa

Hi Alaska Boo,

I was on the Millenium a few years ago for their "Savor the Carribean" program. At the time, it was actually sponsored by Bon Appetit I believe. My husband and I went to the cooking demonstrations on board (which were FREE at the time). They were ok, however, I would not have paid money for them. They were very basic. In fact, my husband and I booked an excursion in Barbados for one of the Bon Appetit sponsored events and it cost something like $80 a person and it was a complete waste of money. We went to a fancy hotel where the cook made a chicken stir fry (which was very basic). He basically salt and peppered some chicken and stir fried it and placed it on a bed of greens and served it to us to taste. It was the worst excursion that we have ever paid for. We had lunch at the hotel afterwards which tasted good, but it was not worth $80 a person. Anyways, that was my experience. I haven't gone recently on the "Savor the Carribean" program so you may also want to hear from others; things might have changed.

Hi Alaska Boo,

I was on the Millenium a few years ago for their "Savor the Carribean" program. At the time, it was actually sponsored by Bon Appetit I believe. My husband and I went to the cooking demonstrations on board (which were FREE at the time). They were ok, however, I would not have paid money for them. They were very basic. In fact, my husband and I booked an excursion in Barbados for one of the Bon Appetit sponsored events and it cost something like $80 a person and it was a complete waste of money. We went to a fancy hotel where the cook made a chicken stir fry (which was very basic). He basically salt and peppered some chicken and stir fried it and placed it on a bed of greens and served it to us to taste. It was the worst excursion that we have ever paid for. We had lunch at the hotel afterwards which tasted good, but it was not worth $80 a person. Anyways, that was my experience. I haven't gone recently on the "Savor the Carribean" program so you may also want to hear from others; things might have changed.

The fee is to cook with the chef - limited to 8 people - you get an apron + cookbook and some other benes' - they do this twice - at sea days.

I would be tempted ONLY because other than San Juan (we have been there several times as well) I don't need to book shorex. In Old San Juan - we know where the restaurants are and if we did a shorex it would be he rain forest if not go o OSJ and go to some of our favorite restaurants anyhow

We were on Infinity last year during this program and loved it. I think the key is who the chef is. We had Brian Katz from the Old Stone Farmhouse restaurant in St. Thomas. When it comes to teaching cooking you usually get either someone who knows cooking or can teach (entertain) but Brian did both very well.

Brian did pretty basic cooking demos in the main theatre each day (including port days). I am a fairly experienced amateur chef but still learned some great stuff. We got recipes of everything he made and I have made some of them and they were excellent.

All his demos were free. If you were interested you could take the shore excursion to Brian's restaurant (at about $80). We took it and it was excellent. About 20 of us joined Brian for a complete cooking class, rum tasiting with his sommelier and a fantastic lunch and then a tour of the entire restaurant. You can see pics of the food and the place at http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/iWeb/Travel/Caribbean Cruise.html

We thought the program was excellent and the shore ex was the highlight of our cruise.

Archived