QE2, The Solent, The Needles

Transatlantic Tom

Via the QE2 bridge webcam I followed QE2's departure from Southampton today, noticing some of the familiar landmarks (Fawley Marine Terminal, Calshot, etc.) as she proceeded out to sea.

It's a little hard to tell, but it appeared as if QE2 sailed down the Western portion of The Solent, past The Needles...and NOT around the eastern side of the Isle of Wight, past Nab Tower as is her habit.

Maybe it was just me being a little disoriented using that little webcam picture...

This was a fairly regular route for arrivals and departures for Southampton for many years, including my first crossing on QE2. This is a route she has not used for many years - certainly not when I've been aboard QE2 the last few years. According to the Harbourmaster in Yarmouth, it has alot to do with a decision not to dredge that channel, among many reasons apparently.

Does anyone know anything about this ?? Anyone who has sailed on QE2 in & out of Southampton recently ??

Tom

Hi there Tom

I was doing the same thing!

She did go her usual route. Here is a link to the Southampton VTS radar trace : http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/images/radcap/radcap.jpg

Because you only get an image once every minute it is hard to keep track of where she is. The deep channel forces ships to do a 90+ degree turn to port just off Cowes, so just before the turn, they are facing directly towards the narrows.

Next time you can watch her progress by plot and by webcam!

I had hope that we might be seeing a return to those departures/arrivals past The Needles.

Don't be too upset yet. In may I was fairly sure that she took the undreged western route although the maps onboard showed she'd taken the eastern one. As nobody else mentioned it I'd chalked it up as my mistake, but now I wonder.:)

Malcolm:

Thanks for that encouraging item !!

In the case of Monday's departure, I was mistaken...I missed a couple of critical frames from QE2's webcam, specifically just past Calshot when she turns to starboard THEN back around to port - her usual routing. Missing that key segment made it look as if she had eased past Calshot and was slipping down the western passage.

The explanation that I received from the Harbourmaster at Yarmouth in 2004 was not encouraging. He made it sound as if there were no plans whatsoever by any authorities - national or local- to dredge the channel leading past The Needles.

Oh well, if that's the worst news going then I think we are doing OK !! I'd sail on QE2 from the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal to Cowes and back and be very happy, thank you !!!

Tom

Archived