All inclusvie vacation vs.all inclusive cruise.......

Fun~N~Sun

The prices on those lines make all inclusives seen dirt cheap, but you are right. NMnita

While the brochure rates are very high, there are deals to be had. It is just a matter of preference IMO.

I looked at a honeymoon at Grand Lido Negril and an oceanfront room was running 650 day for two. Add air from where we live and we are up to 4550 for the week.

I can hop on Regent Navigator the same week and spend the same for a pretty inclusive experience.

RSSC has some decent pricing for the early December time frame. Again, it is all relevant and is still more than a suite on the mass market lines but having a great cabin with top of line amenities, no charges for the specialty restaurants, being able to grab a bottle of water or decent cup of coffee without having to pull out your card, all of these things are so appealing to me. And I like the fact that people dress nicely for dinner. It is all just very civilized and service oriented, things I very much appreciate and am willing to pay for for a special vacation.

I am so burned out on mass market cruising, and I am happy to cruise far less often and do so on an intimate, service related ship where I am not herded around and nickel and dimed to death at every turn. I have grown less tolerant of lines, out of control youth, and just the general atmosphere so many ships present these days.

Just my thoughts at the end of a long day....

caviargal, the $4500 is for you and your spouse to go to Jamaica, right? I find that to still be cheaper than a $2500+ cruise fare per person on a luxury line. It depends on the person whether they prefer cruising or a land vacation, but I think in terms of the numbers you used a resort vacation is still cheaper, right? I'm just trying to figure out the math. :)

caviargal, the $4500 is for you and your spouse to go to Jamaica, right? I find that to still be cheaper than a $2500+ cruise fare per person on a luxury line. It depends on the person whether they prefer cruising or a land vacation, but I think in terms of the numbers you used a resort vacation is still cheaper, right? I'm just trying to figure out the math. :)

Etoile, yes, you are correct.

If we went on Crystal that week, we would pay about 4k for the cruise and drive to the port or hop on Southwest for 100 R/T. We would likely spend another 500 or so onboard and in port.

For Regent, same in terms of driving or air and less out of pocket since it is semi inclusive. They have two ships sailing that week, Navigator at 2,100 per person and Voyager at 2700. That particular week is a great one for values and both are offering 2 for 1. The ports are not the primary interest to me when I am on a Caribbean cruise. Give me a beach and I am a happy girl.

So cheaper maybe, ship dependent, and less hassle in terms of Jamaica customs, airport, transfer time, etc.

I agree absolutely that the decision on cruise vs land is strictly a matter of taste and preference. I was close to choosing Jamaica for our honeymoon but we will be on either Crystal or Regent that week instead for the sheer ease of it as well as the luxury.

Now if I could make a final decision so I can start packing:D.

While the brochure rates are very high, there are deals to be had. It is just a matter of preference IMO.

I looked at a honeymoon at Grand Lido Negril and an oceanfront room was running 650 day for two. Add air from where we live and we are up to 4550 for the week.

I can hop on Regent Navigator the same week and spend the same for a pretty inclusive experience.

RSSC has some decent pricing for the early December time frame. Again, it is all relevant and is still more than a suite on the mass market lines but having a great cabin with top of line amenities, no charges for the specialty restaurants, being able to grab a bottle of water or decent cup of coffee without having to pull out your card, all of these things are so appealing to me. And I like the fact that people dress nicely for dinner. It is all just very civilized and service oriented, things I very much appreciate and am willing to pay for for a special vacation.

I am so burned out on mass market cruising, and I am happy to cruise far less often and do so on an intimate, service related ship where I am not herded around and nickel and dimed to death at every turn. I have grown less tolerant of lines, out of control youth, and just the general atmosphere so many ships present these days.

Just my thoughts at the end of a long day....

Guess what? As a TA I get the emails and specials all the time: they are still much higher than a mass marketed cruise or even a top of the line AI. I am not knocking either vacation: I think both are wonderful, but trying to compare the two isn't all that easy. First week of Dec; great rates: first week of Dec: AI great rates: this is probably one, if not the slowest week for vacationing. for those who can afford luxury liners it's wonderful. I, personally would love to cruise on SeaDream. but many cruisers just cannot handle the added price so they choose to cruise off season, book when kids are in school, or some, actually enjoy the kids. Those will book anytime. NMnita

Guess what? As a TA I get the emails and specials all the time: they are still much higher than a mass marketed cruise or even a top of the line AI. I am not knocking either vacation: I think both are wonderful, but trying to compare the two isn't all that easy. First week of Dec; great rates: first week of Dec: AI great rates: this is probably one, if not the slowest week for vacationing. for those who can afford luxury liners it's wonderful. I, personally would love to cruise on SeaDream. but many cruisers just cannot handle the added price so they choose to cruise off season, book when kids are in school, or some, actually enjoy the kids. Those will book anytime. NMnita

I agree and am also a TA but specialize in incentives and groups.

I priced several AIs that I like. A high end AI like Royal Plantation (on the AI plan) is well over 750/nt. I would not consider something like Sandals as I do find their product very average. GLN is 650. Not a bargain week for the good resorts. Galley Bay in Antigua is 800/nt.

Of course I can do a modest AI for about half that but have no interest. That cost would be the same a basic cruise that week.

I did lots of research on this when looking at honeymoon options. A suite on Galaxy for Dec 15th is 1900 pp (and Galaxy is not in good shape and I would not cruise on her) and that is from SJU. A true suite on HAL same dates on Prinsendam is 3k per person and a suite on Star Princess is 2149pp (too big a ship and would not consider it) Add all the extras and on some dates the luxury lines are a better value.

Same dates, same level of accomodations, all 7 nights, and less inclusive on Princess, HAL and Celebrity.

So it bears researching if one is looking for top level accomodations on mass market. Sometimes luxury can be cheaper:).

I looked at SeaDream and Seabourn (also half price that week at 2250) but I need fitness activities, entertainment options, great gym, etc. so they would not work for me.

The honeymoon trip is a splurge for sure but I based my decision (or my almost decision) on value for my dollar.

I priced several AIs that I like. A high end AI like Royal Plantation (on the AI plan) is well over 750/nt. I would not consider something like Sandals as I do find their product very average. GLN is 650. Not a bargain week for the good resorts. Galley Bay in Antigua is 800/nt.

Per night?! *falls off chair*

I have stayed at over 20 different AI resorts and alcoholic beverages have always been included.

I choose the high end properties and the ones that are adults only. I like the fact that these properties enforce their dresses

The upscale AIs include a choice of multiple restaurants and I have found the food to be good to excellent, just as I have on cruises, and is dependent on the resort.

I am not a big drinker and will have a martini occasionally before dinner, rarely drink during the day except perhaps a glass of wine at lunch. Always wine with dinner.

I find an AI is a great value because I enjoy the size of the room, access to the facilities offered, and the many no charge activities that add so much to the cost of a cruise. I take tennis lessons with the staff pro, waterski, scuba dive, snorkel, enjoy a yoga class every afternoon and all of these are included. Thesea acitivites are not available daily on cruises and are almost always an extra cost.

I can book a very nice AI for 600 a night or so for two plus airfare. This is a great value IMO.

Since you have done some many AI's....what and where do you recommend. I am really thinking of the USVI. Any thoughts?

Since you have done some many AI's....what and where do you recommend. I am really thinking of the USVI. Any thoughts?

I wish I could help there but I do not care for the USVIs. St. Thomas is a mess in my opinion and St. John is pretty enough but did not have me coming back for more.

In the BVI there is Peter Island, which is laid back and lovely.

St. James Club and Galley Bay in Antigua.

Le Source in Grenada re-opens the end of 2007 and is on my list to try.

Very high end (etoile, sit down please) would be Cap Jaluca but that can easily be 1000 per day. I have not stayed there yet but have sent clients there.

A suggestion would be to buy a day pass to an AI next time you are in port. We do this as a rule, head straight for the best one on the island and spend a full day. There is a very nice Sandals in the Bahamas and a bunch in Jamaica.

For great beaches, Grand Lido Negril or Couples Swept Away in Jamaica. Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios is traditional and elegant. A less expensive Jamaica choice would be Sunset at the Palms.

In Cancun, there is a new AI, adults only, Le Blanc. Read the reviews and consider it before the price goes up next year when they get their fifth star. Small enough to be personal and very zen.

Most of my experience with AIs has been in Jamaica, as I love the island and have been going there since I was 20.

I wish I could help there but I do not care for the USVIs. St. Thomas is a mess in my opinion and St. John is pretty enough but did not have me coming back for more.

In the BVI there is Peter Island, which is laid back and lovely.

St. James Club and Galley Bay in Antigua.

Le Source in Grenada re-opens the end of 2007 and is on my list to try.

Very high end (etoile, sit down please) would be Cap Jaluca but that can easily be 1000 per day. I have not stayed there yet but have sent clients there.

A suggestion would be to buy a day pass to an AI next time you are in port. We do this as a rule, head straight for the best one on the island and spend a full day. There is a very nice Sandals in the Bahamas and a bunch in Jamaica.

For great beaches, Grand Lido Negril or Couples Swept Away in Jamaica. Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios is traditional and elegant. A less expensive Jamaica choice would be Sunset at the Palms.

In Cancun, there is a new AI, adults only, Le Blanc. Read the reviews and consider it before the price goes up next year when they get their fifth star. Small enough to be personal and very zen.

Most of my experience with AIs has been in Jamaica, as I love the island and have been going there since I was 20.

Thanks for the info. I truly appreciate it. I have two questions if you don't mind. Make that three! 1. Why do you not care for the USVI? 2. What is it that makes you love Jamaica? 3. What (if any) opinion do you have about the Caymans?

Thanks for the info. I truly appreciate it. I have two questions if you don't mind. Make that three! 1. Why do you not care for the USVI? 2. What is it that makes you love Jamaica? 3. What (if any) opinion do you have about the Caymans?

1) The USVI is IMO overrun with tourists. St. Croix and St. Thomas have no charm (again, JMHO). St. Thomas is so Americanized and shopping oriented that it has no appeal to me. Cruise ships dump massive #s of people on their shores every day. It shows in prices and standards.

2) I love Jamaica for the topography; the volcanic islands are more dramatic IMO. St. Lucia is the same. Great beaches, wonderful fruits and veggies, reggae music, blue mountain coffee. The areas where the cruise ships dock are the very worst and understandably turn off many first time visitors. But Jamaica has it all and I have come to make friends there as well. It is a third world country so if that is offputting, I would stay away.

I have stayed in AIs, regular hotels and rented villas with friends which was really a great time. Again, Jamaica is not for everyone but it and St. Lucia are my two favorite islands.

3) I enjoy Grand Cayman for it's cleanliness, Seven Mile Beach, lack of poverty, ease of getting around. I have done land trips several times, staying at the Westin, and have also been there a dozen or so times by cruise ships. It is VERY expensive. I would go there for a few days but would be bored for any longer. If you are an avid diver, its a great spot for diving. I would definitely choose GC over the USVI.

1) The USVI is IMO overrun with tourists. St. Croix and St. Thomas have no charm (again, JMHO). St. Thomas is so Americanized and shopping oriented that it has no appeal to me. Cruise ships dump massive #s of people on their shores every day. It shows in prices and standards.

2) I love Jamaica for the topography; the volcanic islands are more dramatic IMO. St. Lucia is the same. Great beaches, wonderful fruits and veggies, reggae music, blue mountain coffee. The areas where the cruise ships dock are the very worst and understandably turn off many first time visitors. But Jamaica has it all and I have come to make friends there as well. It is a third world country so if that is offputting, I would stay away.

I have stayed in AIs, regular hotels and rented villas with friends which was really a great time. Again, Jamaica is not for everyone but it and St. Lucia are my two favorite islands.

3) I enjoy Grand Cayman for it's cleanliness, Seven Mile Beach, lack of poverty, ease of getting around. I have done land trips several times, staying at the Westin, and have also been there a dozen or so times by cruise ships. It is VERY expensive. I would go there for a few days but would be bored for any longer. If you are an avid diver, its a great spot for diving. I would definitely choose GC over the USVI.

Absotutely spot-on observations! Want a job in the travel industry? We're hiring...;)

Absotutely spot-on observations! Want a job in the travel industry? We're hiring...;)

Thanks for the offer. :) I am a partner an incentive agency and have been in the biz on and off since 1975. Remember handwriting tickets?

It's challenging these days but I love it!

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Jamaica AI and see what I can come up with. This sounds more like what I am looking for. I don't mind that it is a third world country, actually I kind of like that. I loved the people of Dominica; they were very proud of all they had (which was virtually nothing) but in their eyes they had the world. They were especially kind and friendly. The beaches and the music sound wonderful. We are looking for sun, blue water, nice beaches by day, shopping and sight seeing in the early evening, and drinks, dance, and laughter by night. Any suggestions about AI websites for Jamaica?

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Jamaica AI and see what I can come up with. This sounds more like what I am looking for. I don't mind that it is a third world country, actually I kind of like that. I loved the people of Dominica; they were very proud of all they had (which was virtually nothing) but in their eyes they had the world. They were especially kind and friendly. The beaches and the music sound wonderful. We are looking for sun, blue water, nice beaches by day, shopping and sight seeing in the early evening, and drinks, dance, and laughter by night. Any suggestions about AI websites for Jamaica?

If you comfortable in Dominica, I truly think you will like Jamaica. May I ask your age range and if you are looking for adult only or not? And maybe preferences as in beach being very important, sports facilities? Spa quality, food and service, luxury or basic?

We are not allowed to post specific websites but I can point you in a good direction with some more info. Jamaica is a place I know well.

If you comfortable in Dominica, I truly think you will like Jamaica. May I ask your age range and if you are looking for adult only or not? And maybe preferences as in beach being very important, sports facilities? Spa quality, food and service, luxury or basic?

We are not allowed to post specific websites but I can point you in a good direction with some more info. Jamaica is a place I know well.

My husband are in our mid 40's (but feel younger). We like things very basic and casual, definitely not luxurious or formal. Beaches with a bar, music, tiki huts, food is our ideal. We don't mind if kids are around but are not opposed to adult only. Not into the spa thing. We like anything that has to do with being on or near the water, snorkeling, jet skis, catamaran, etc. At night we like fun bars with music and dancing. We may end up taking our kids (they are in their early 20's) with us.

My husband are in our mid 40's (but feel younger). We like things very basic and casual, definitely not luxurious or formal. Beaches with a bar, music, tiki huts, food is our ideal. We don't mind if kids are around but are not opposed to adult only. Not into the spa thing. We like anything that has to do with being on or near the water, snorkeling, jet skis, catamaran, etc. At night we like fun bars with music and dancing. We may end up taking our kids (they are in their early 20's) with us.

Sunset at the Palms (they have their own website) would work well for you based on these comments. It is a good value, casual and the beach (across the street but great) is lovely.

I very much enjoy Couple Swept Away for the fabulous beach, spread out rooms and wonderful fitness facilities. I like to be active and they have the best options on the island. But it is couples only. Lots of water sports, choice of several restaurants (one requires long pant and collared shirt, no flip flops for the guys, nice outfits for women; others are casual). It is low key but with enough activitiy at night to be fun. Great piano bar!

Couples Negril is also very nice. Go to tripadvisor and read the reviews.

I don't like MoBay personally but have read some good things about Coyaba if you don't mind kids. I have stayed at both Sandals there and would not recommend either. Also stayed at Half Moon and was unimpressed.

For upscale try Grand Lido Braco as well (adult only but not couples only) if you do not mind that they have a nude area. Good nightlife.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.:)

Sunset at the Palms (they have their own website) would work well for you based on these comments. It is a good value, casual and the beach (across the street but great) is lovely.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.:)

I would really like to have something right on the beach. Anything come to mind or any recommendations?

I would really like to have something right on the beach. Anything come to mind or any recommendations?

Couples Swept Away, Couples Negril and Grand Lido Negril are the best IMO. Sandals White House is getting good reviews but is located away from any town.

bjtl, I have stayed at Half Moon several times, in villas on property. What do you want to know?

cariargal I am intersested in anything that you can tell me. We are going in June of 2007. We usually cruise but are trying this instead this year. Do you have a web site with pictures?

I have stayed at villas that had priviliges at Half Moon and used the gym and beach daily. We also had drinks and dinner there and enjoyed their in house entertainment some evenings.

If you are on the AI plan, you made a good choice as this place is $$$$$. The beach area is nice enough but there was no service provided while we were there, a nice feature I have enjoyed at other resorts.

The grounds are fairly lush and well kept and the property well spread out, so nice high rise hassles. It is very laid back.

There were a good mix of families and couples each time I visited. Again, I did not stay in the hotel proper, but in one of the affiliated villas which I liked for the privacy. There are many paths to walk amongst the grounds and it is lovely at night.

There are an abundance of pools spread throughout the complex, some private. I think the maintenance could be a bit mor regular.

If you go to trip advisor you will find much more info from those who have stayed there recently. It gets an average of 4 stars with some way ups and way downs.

What about excursions? The ship helps you set them up if you chose, does the hotel have a safe and reliable person (conciegere) that can help you with this? From reading post on the Jamaica site it sounds that its not too safe off of the resort. Also how about Jewerly shopping, are the prices as good as they are on St. Thomas?

What about excursions? The ship helps you set them up if you chose, does the hotel have a safe and reliable person (conciegere) that can help you with this? From reading post on the Jamaica site it sounds that its not too safe off of the resort. Also how about Jewerly shopping, are the prices as good as they are on St. Thomas?

I am not an excursion person and do not do them on cruises or land vacations. If I want to go somwhere, I will get a car and driver and go.

I like Jamaica and have no problem leaving the hotel grounds. I have been there at least 25x and it is my favorite island.

MoBay is my least favorite area so I cannot help you there. And I buy my jewelry elsewhere although I am sure there are duty free shops, though not nearly as many as on St.Thomas or other islands.

Archived