Kids & Formal Night

Leigh-Anne V

Hi!

Just wondering what people do for formal nights ... do they dress the kids up as well or feed them early and not bring them or ?

We've been on one cruise before, but our second cruise in December we will have our 6 year old with us.

Thanks!

Leigh-Anne

I love having my kids with us on formal night. I keep the family portraits hanging in my office. And I keep my eyes out for formal cruise wear pretty much all year long before the cruise. I have 2 formal dresses hanging in my daughters room (with tags on) for a cruise we are taking next April.

My kids love to dress up.

I've taken my kids on 2 cruises: the Caribbean Princess when they were 4 and 8, and then last August to Alaska on the Celebrity Infinity when they were 5 and 9. When the littlest one was 4 years old, I found it easier to feed them early and then put them in the kids program. Last August in Alaska, however, we were on a family reunion cruise so I really wanted them to eat with us and the rest of the family (even though they were the only little kids in our group).

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. They enjoyed dressing up and being part of a fancy dinner. Because of the multiple courses, however, the dinner takes what seems to be an eternity from the viewpoint of a 5 year old. So I asked the waiters to bring her dinner a little earlier, and then I ran her up to the kids program between courses. (the kids program was conveniently located a quick elevator ride up from the dining room.) That way she got to enjoy the fancy dinner for a while, but I could relax for the last half of the meal. My 9 year old, on the other hand, wanted to stay for the entire dinner.

You know your kid best. Will he/she hate being at a fancy dinner or will he/she love it? Will you be able to relax with him/her there? Do whatever you think will make you and your kid most comfortable.

WE have also taken our kids (now 9 and 12) on 3 cruises over the past 2 years, and always brought them to the formal dinners. They loved it! They love dressing up and they really enjoy the special menus (they are very sophisticated eaters). As many posters say, you know your own kids, so if you think the dinner goes too slowly, do bring them to the kid's program.

We found that in the early seating, dinner went very quickly, food courses had little time between them, and there was not much chance for boredom. Even tho we were in the dining room for almost 2 hours each night, it never seemed that long.

I agree with Lumpkin about kids becoming sophisticated eaters. On her first cruise when she was 8, my older daughter quickly realized that she didn't have to order off the kid's menu and after that there was no going back. She wanted caesar salad and filet mignon (medium rare, please) every night! And on her last cruise she got more adventurous and started trying new dishes, appetizer courses and desserts. Also agree that the formal night photos with the kids are priceless!:)

They enjoyed dressing up and being part of a fancy dinner. Because of the multiple courses, however, the dinner takes what seems to be an eternity from the viewpoint of a 5 year old. So I asked the waiters to bring her dinner a little earlier, and then I ran her up to the kids program between courses. .

We did the same thing and it worked great. Best of both worlds!

family06.jpg.88b2656246ac708531776b77405becde.jpg

We bought tuxes for our boys on ebay, and it's made for some great family photos. Our kids have done well with dinner, especially since we've been fortunate enough to have waiters who have doted on them. Right after dinner they get changed and go off to the kids' program.

She LOVES to dress up so I was thinking at least one of the nights we had to get all doled up and get some nice family portraits done while we're away. forgot about the 2hr dinners though lol I think we'll be doing the 'bring her meal first please' thing and running her to the kids club!

Leigh-Anne

Other side of the coin...my 11 year old daughter hates formal nights and dreads them. We have dragged her with us on RCCL and NCL both, and nobody had a good time.

Lesson learned: both of those cruise lines offered a "kids' night out" on formal night, where the kids' club went together for dinner under the supervision of one of the staff. DD had a wonderful time being with the gang and eating pizza, and my sweetie and I got to have some grownup time and enjoy leisurely meals, without anyone saying "Ewwww....you're eating snails!!".

I would love to dress her up (and I do pack her best dress just in case!) and have my princess shine at our table...but the harsh reality is that if it's no fun for her, then it's no fun for us.

• 1 year later...
I love having my kids with us on formal night. I keep the family portraits hanging in my office. And I keep my eyes out for formal cruise wear pretty much all year long before the cruise. I have 2 formal dresses hanging in my daughters room (with tags on) for a cruise we are taking next April.

My kids love to dress up.

Can you give me information where you shop for your children's formal ware?

Were going on the FOS.

Looking for size 6-9 months and 1 year.

Thank You

Can you give me information where you shop for your children's formal ware?

Were going on the FOS.

Looking for size 6-9 months and 1 year.

Thank You

The BEST time to find Formal Wear is right after Christmas and right after EASTER in the stores. I keep an eye out for dresses all of the time. The minute everything goes on clearance, I have 7 new dresses for the next cruise...lol. You can find formal dresses ANYWHERE. I have actually found formals at WalMart ay Target. And they look the same as the higher priced dresses that I bought at more expensive department stores.

For our fall/winter cruises I stock up on the Christmas formals from the year before. For our Spring/Summer cruises I stock up on the dresses from the Easter before.

OnTheBrink

Here are some from a December Cruise on Carnival

Cruise-06-1.jpg

Cruise-06MoGab-1.jpg

Fall Cruise on Carnival

cruise07d.jpg

cruise07b.jpg

Spring Cruise on RCCL

Freedom-Formal1.jpg

My kids were 3 and 5 on our last cruise...went to the dining room with us 3 of 4 nights, we skipped one "informal" night so they could go to the kids club(CCL) and go to the Pizza and Ice Cream party. OUr waiter/ress missed them and were so glad on formal night that we brought them...they would make special ice cream sundaes for them and bring pop(no charge) with cherries...both thought it was great...and then the singing! They loved that...both danced with the wait staff and were whisked around the room with them! One thing we did do though is made sure we brought a fully charged gameboy with us...our son played Mario when he got a little bored...our dd, 3, never got bored, she loved it! FOr formal night attire we just wore our easter clothes, and they were adorable!

Have Fun!

Mary Anne

It's kind of like everyone else, when you are dressed up you just seem to behave a little better. By age 6, your DD probably will love the opportunity to "dress up". If she's not into it, there are lots of alternatives. On most cruises the eat with the kids club counselors coincide with formal nights. Otherwise an earlier meal at the buffet or in the cabin and then directly to the kids club or use of a in-room baby sitter may work out.

DD is now 12YO and while she loves to dress up, her priorities are generally more about her friends -- so this past cruise, the kids (five 12YO girls) were busy on the climbing wall until 20 minutes before seating. They went from room to room gathering up stuff, dressed together, did each other's hair and "make up" and had a special table at Windjammer Buffet. The wait staff at the Windjammer were tickled with the girls and gave them very special treatment. They had a blast.

I love seeing the little ones dressed up on formal nights. On our last cruise there was a couple with twins, a boy and girl, who were about 14 months old. The boy wore a tiny tux and the girl had the most beautiful black and while dress---it was a pouffy white skirt and a black velvet top with tiny pink rosettes on the black satin bow. They were adorable. You just wanted to hug them up

My 6YO does not like to dress up -- so she goes to kids club. Our 8YO LIVES for formal night, so she goes with. There are options, find out what your kid wants to do (but make certain to be able to deal with someone who changes her mind too:D )

My 6YO does not like to dress up -- so she goes to kids club. Our 8YO LIVES for formal night, so she goes with. There are options, find out what your kid wants to do (but make certain to be able to deal with someone who changes her mind too:D )

i just bought my kids some really cute dresses at macy's yesterday. they have their easter dresses 25% off. we also have some cute dresses they wore at xmas time and those were from target. my kids are jeans and t's kind of girls, so i dont' spend too much on the fancy clothes. but their babysitter who has gone on several cruises with her parents told them they just "have to go to formal night!" so...we're going! (DD's are 10,7 btw)

Our kids have been going to formal night since they were 6 & 8 - including dressing for dinner. Our younger son didn't like it at first but adapted quickly and now it is no big deal. The dining room is great for teaching kids how to act in a public, somewhat formal setting. Plus as noted earlier, we have a whole series of nice family portraits showing the kids growing up.

It depends what line I sail.

For instance, on Celebrity I always take my son to the dinner the first night and meet our tablemates. Usually they pair me with parents and other kids. By the second or third night- the kids are so involved with the kids program and their new friends that they don't want to dine with us anymore. Fine by me.

I understand that older kids might enjoy the long sit down dinners but my son, six on our last cruise- couldn't be bothered to sit thru the courses. By the time he is 10- he will enjoy fine dining more- so I simply don't push it. It's his vacation too.

Now on Cunard, I was sick of fine dining (had come off a 12 night cruise with my parents) and my son and I dined in the buffet, took long strolls after dinner. At 8PM- he would go to the kids program and I would go change into my nice formal attire and go to the Pub and hang out with my newfound friends.

On Radiance we dined in the buffet too and never went to the formal dining room.

I think it depends on my moods and what the ship has to offer in terms of casual eating venues.

My kids seem better behaved all dressed up. We've gotten great deals on suits for the boys (both 8 now) at local consignment stores. This isn't an article of clothing most boys wear out. So for $10-20 we've gotten full suits including shirts and ties in "new condition".

Now we're traveling with all 6 kids and I've been back to the consignment store for our little ones.

Having said they were better behaved than normal..... we'd still have the waiter bring their meals quickly and they were usually gone to kids clud before we enjoyed a leisurely desert.

Have a great trip....nice vests with slacks and a tie make great formal wear as well and with Easter around the corner there's plenty in the stores.

Judy

ps - most of my kids really enjoy getting dressed up.

Archived