Southampton to New York roundtrip

nickyaddis

Hi,

Has anyone done a round trip from Southampton to New York recently? I will be doing it on October 30th and We will be in New York for the day on Sunday November 5th. Cunard only appear to give one option for a tour which lasts 6 hours and costs $79. It appears to drive you around the city for 4 hours and then take you to South Street Seaport for the remaining 2. Has anyone done this tour and if so what did you think of it.

I understand that immigration is no longer done on the ship, how long does it take if you are getting off for a tour (we will be docking at the Brooklyn terminal)?

Nicky

Hi,

Has anyone done a round trip from Southampton to New York recently? I will be doing it on October 30th and We will be in New York for the day on Sunday November 5th. Cunard only appear to give one option for a tour which lasts 6 hours and costs $79. It appears to drive you around the city for 4 hours and then take you to South Street Seaport for the remaining 2. Has anyone done this tour and if so what did you think of it.

I understand that immigration is no longer done on the ship, how long does it take if you are getting off for a tour (we will be docking at the Brooklyn terminal)?

Nicky

Has anyone walked to the nearest subway station and gone into Manhatten, if so how long did it take and how do you get there?

I have heard that taxi cab drivers don't know the way to Red Hook, is this still the case. I would be scared to rely on getting a cab back to Red Hook from Manhatten if this were still the case.

I have not done the rountrip, but coming from someone who lives in New York, I would not want to spend 2 hours in the South Street Seaport. I used to live across the street from it, and while nice, and a good place to get a drink, it's really just an outdoor shopping mall with mid-range stores. If you have the opportunity to spend the day in the city, I would venture out on your own (it's impossible to get lost here) and pick one or two neighborhoods that interest you, and then just wander. If you have never been to NYC, I would probably go to Times Square (briefly only) and Rockefeller Center, and then wander around in Soho for the rest of your afternoon. That's just my humble opinion though, so if you are a person who doesn't really like not having a schedule or guide, you might want to take the tour.

Archived