QV Master Appointment

Cunard Cruiser

Thanks for posting sea-sea. I am glad that Captain Wright is back on Cunard.

I can't wait to sail with him again. My wife and I have nothing but great memories when we have sailed with Captian Wright. Now if Cunard would finish the QV schedule for 2008 I can make plans.

Hopefully I can get him to fly my Cunard Flag over QV like he graciously did when we were on QM2.

Ed

Interesting to see that Captain Wright's first 15 years were spent at Shell & Canadian Pacific, not Cunard. Perhaps he, like Princess, values a variety of experience?;)

Peter

Hey Peter ... take that tongue out of that cheek !!!!! Know what you mean though...

Perhaps QV will attract a few more diehards now???

Ken

I understand the captains must be master of each ship in the fleet before they can qualify. I thought Rynd had done so (since QV is NOT launched). Any info on that???

Not sure if that is the case - afaik, Commodore Warwick never commanded CARONIA - but Captain Rynd certainly struck me as the sort of Captain who would make a jolly good Commodore - wonder how they work out the Seniority.......

Peter, who senses the distant rumbling of 'Hand bags at dawn'.......

Recently - very few - there always used to be one when the line was running a fleet of ships - but that sort of died in the mid-60s when the Queens, Caronia and the Saxonia class were withdrawn.....to be honest, I doubt there is much point in it in a two/three ship fleet - I suspect it was a bung to Warwick to stay on to bring in the QM2.....hoping to transfer loyal pax just like they are doing with Wright and the Queen Vistadammia.

Peter

Sir James Bisset, WWII master of the Queen Mary and later Cunard Commodore, wrote three books about his life at sea: "Sail HO!", "Tramps and Ladies", and "Commodore". I recommend them all to all of you. Curiously, the QM2 library didn't have any of them when I asked in June. I urged the librarians to correct this shameful omission. I wonder if they have.

Recently - very few

The only recent ones I can think of (that is, in the last decade) are John Burton-Hall and Ron Warwick.

Before then, Douglas Ridley and William Warwick.

That right there takes us back 40 years. Up until that time, I believe there was always a Commodore.

On the other hand, P&O always had a Commodore until recently.

Three cheers for Paul Wright!!!!!!................ excellent master and has the perfect personality for the postion. That has just given me another reason to join the QV at some point in the near future.

Our voyage in 2004 on the QM2 under his command was the really pleasant and to see him wandering the corridors at all hours keeping an eye on the ship demonstrated his extremely professional outlook and hands on approach.

Now all we need is for him to once again appear on these boards with the little bits of information from the inside workings of Cunard!!

Welcome aboard Captain Wright.

Three cheers for Paul Wright!!!!!!................ excellent master and has the perfect personality for the postion. That has just given me another reason to join the QV at some point in the near future.

Our voyage in 2004 on the QM2 under his command was the really pleasant and to see him wandering the corridors at all hours keeping an eye on the ship demonstrated his extremely professional outlook and hands on approach.

Now all we need is for him to once again appear on these boards with the little bits of information from the inside workings of Cunard!!

Welcome aboard Captain Wright.

I agree, Emu. Paul Wright was captain on a 2005 QM2 cruise I was on and everyone enjoyed his pleasant, outgoing style. I attended a small cocktail party he hosted and had a lengthy conversation with him. I found him to be very accessible and real. I am glad to see him back where he belongs. I only hope now that Ian McNaught returns to the QE2 for the world cruise on which I am booked. He is especially heavy handed on the QE2 whistle which I like to hear! It trumps all the others, including Queen Mary 2!

Bobby,

Will wave to you from the QM2 when we are side by side with the QEII in Sydney Harbour on Feb 20.

We were so keen on this spectacle............. we will be flying from our home in Australia to San Francisco to join the QM2 before going all the way to Southampton and flying back to Australia again!

From the information I can dig up it should be a spectacle like no other........ having been over 60 years since 2 Cunard Queens were together in the Harbour. (As it was wartime with the Queens being troop ships, and secrecy was the rule, only a couple of grainy black and white pictures exist of the event)

See you there!

Bobby,

having been over 60 years since 2 Cunard Queens were together in the Harbour. (As it was wartime with the Queens being troop ships, and secrecy was the rule, only a couple of grainy black and white pictures exist of the event)

See you there!

Small point of fact. The two Queens were never together in Sydney Harbour. The only event that was photographed was the departure of the QUEEN MARY shown outside the Heads as the QUEEN ELIZABETH arrived, but they were never together inside the harbour.

Stephen

Bobby,

Will wave to you from the QM2 when we are side by side with the QEII in Sydney Harbour on Feb 20.

We were so keen on this spectacle............. we will be flying from our home in Australia to San Francisco to join the QM2 before going all the way to Southampton and flying back to Australia again!

From the information I can dig up it should be a spectacle like no other........ having been over 60 years since 2 Cunard Queens were together in the Harbour. (As it was wartime with the Queens being troop ships, and secrecy was the rule, only a couple of grainy black and white pictures exist of the event)

See you there!

You will already be there just about to depart when we arrive around 8:00 pm. I am wondering what the particulars of the extravaganza will be. I am excited as you are. I will surely wave back!

Bon Voyage!

Archived