Isla Verde Beach.....????

Suesan Jean

Can ANYONE tell me about accessing Isla Verde Beach when you are a cruise passenger?

Is there a Public Beach Entrance or just Hotel access...????

PLEASE HELP.....!!!???

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT....!!!!icon14.gif:)

Isla verde beach is Public and there is access from the some Hotel's. I go there everytime I am in P.R. Enjoy

Does anyone have any details about this beach?

*Any good snorkeling?

*Can you rent life vests?

*Are there refreshments available?

*Are there public bathrooms?

*Are there lockers?

*What time does it close?

etc.

There seem to be very few posts about beaches in San Juan. Is there some reason San Juan is not as much of a beach destination as other parts of the Caribbean?

Thanks.

There seem to be very few posts about beaches in San Juan. Is there some reason San Juan is not as much of a beach destination as other parts of the Caribbean?

Thanks.

I thought the SAME thing!!! :confused: Maybe because we're usually not there ALL day (ships seems to have weird times in PR...either 7am-2pm or 5pm-midnight or so). So maybe people don't view it as a 'beach day' so to speak. I've been there a few times on cruise stops & we've never done the beach because of this, but this next time we do want to visit a beach.

I thought the SAME thing!!! :confused: Maybe because we're usually not there ALL day (ships seems to have weird times in PR...either 7am-2pm or 5pm-midnight or so). So maybe people don't view it as a 'beach day' so to speak. I've been there a few times on cruise stops & we've never done the beach because of this, but this next time we do want to visit a beach.

Yeah, our ship was there 3pm - Midnight, and next year it'll be there the same time, but my GF really would like to try to check out a beach next year anyway. Our ship was in Tortola from 7am - 2pm, and everyone went to the beach there, so if there are ships that go into SJ during that same time frame, I would think there would be a number of beach seekers for that port as well. Just seems a bit odd to me -- not quite sure what to make of it. :o

Hello ChristieNJ and Leo Jay, San Juan beaches are on the Atlantic rather

than the Caribbean and tend to be not as calm. Isla Verde is probably the

best choice. For really beautiful beaches, the southwest area is the place to

go, but we are talking maybe three hours of driving. There is a small

beach, Buye, that was a favorite of my DH and I. He died four years ago,

so I don't get there anymore. Luquillo, near the rainforest and Farjardo, is

a lovely beach, but you need an entire day to do that. Come for a long visit

and go to Vieques or Culebra where there are picture perfect beaches. I hope

you find a nice place to spend your day in San Juan.

Yeah, our ship was there 3pm - Midnight, and next year it'll be there the same time, but my GF really would like to try to check out a beach next year anyway. Our ship was in Tortola from 7am - 2pm, and everyone went to the beach there, so if there are ships that go into SJ during that same time frame, I would think there would be a number of beach seekers for that port as well. Just seems a bit odd to me -- not quite sure what to make of it. :o

There are few beach near by and if you have the time there are more between 1/2 hour and 1 hour that you might like to explore. Isla Verde and Carolina beach are about 20 minutes bt taxi. Hope you decide to explore..

Hello again Christie, Isla Verde is about 20 minutes from pier. It is near

airport. Thank you for kind thought!

Just wanted to add a comment and question. Your signature is so eye-catching and unique! Do you work with graphic arts and design and where

would I see your work? Hope you don't mind my asking. :Oakey:

Just wanted to add a comment and question. Your signature is so eye-catching and unique! Do you work with graphic arts and design and where

would I see your work? Hope you don't mind my asking. :Oakey:

Hey Oaktree! Thanks for the compliment!! :D I would looooove to work with graphic arts, but no I don't. I just like eye-catching colors & designs, so I kind of throw things together until they look good to me! Not sure everyone agrees, but hey what can ya do?? :p But I appreciate the compliment!!!! :)

Oaktree and Fred and Wilma,

Thanks a lot for the information -- explains a lot.

Maybe we'll leave the beaches for the other islands and visit the Rainforest? Our ship doesn't get in until 3pm, which means we probably can't count on being able to get to the Rainforest until about 4:30ish at the earliest. Does that time frame make any sense for a RF visit, given how much light is left? As I recall, when we were just in OSJ a few weeks ago, it was pretty dark by about 7pm, am I remembering correctly?

Oaktree and Fred and Wilma,

Thanks a lot for the information -- explains a lot.

Maybe we'll leave the beaches for the other islands and visit the Rainforest? Our ship doesn't get in until 3pm, which means we probably can't count on being able to get to the Rainforest until about 4:30ish at the earliest. Does that time frame make any sense for a RF visit, given how much light is left? As I recall, when we were just in OSJ a few weeks ago, it was pretty dark by about 7pm, am I remembering correctly?

Just a little info. You will not make it to the Rainforest for at least 2 hours due to construction and Rush hour. And when you get there it's closed at 5pm.. Sorry if I put a damper on your trip....

Does anyone have any details about this beach?

*Any good snorkeling?

*Can you rent life vests?

*Are there refreshments available?

*Are there public bathrooms?

*Are there lockers?

*What time does it close?

etc.

Thanks.

Hi;

It is because the beaches that are very close to the hotel areas are by no means good ones,at least for our standards.To find a good one you will have to completely leave SJ.Actually,the best ones are at the other side of the island,that means at least an hour trip from SJ.Keep in mind that PR,is one of the big antilles in the caribbean,so it is much bigger that all the other criuse destiny's islands.On those ones you can get to a beautiful spot in no time because of how tiny they are.

you can access the beaches through the hotels. last year we went to the marriott on a day pass while waiting for our very late plane departure. however, you could still go to their beach on your own and pay a few $$ to rent chaises and then head back to old san juan to walk around. we also enjoyed the beach at the el san juan hotel a few years ago. very nice beach. unfortunately the time frame you have does not permit much else. wonderful food in san juan, be sure to try the local favorites.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

All beaches in Puerto Rico are public and belong to the government. There are no privately owned beaches.

San Juan is a big metropolitan capital city, It is not a "tourist only" destination at all. The beaches in San Juan are few and are somewhat rocky and the waves rough, the only nicer area is in Punta las Marias at the end of the Condado strip where some guesthouses are located (behind Numero Uno guesthouse in Ocean Park is a good spot and a good restaurant/bar next to it).

For a nice beach with lockers,lifesavers and the other stuff /activities you need to travel to Luquillo or Dorado(1 hour + from san juan), Isla Verde,Carolina (20 min + from main pier ,[behind Intercontinental hotel has no locker/bathhouse but has jetski rentals) or explore beyond the north east coast (3 hours + /Rincon, Humacao..etc..).

San Juan will give you the historic sites and the cultural experience other ports of calls won't (the only other 2 places that can compare to San juan are Havana,Cuba and Santo Domingo,Dom. Republic). My recommendation is leave the beach for other ports (believe me you will have enough beach) and enjoy the san juan experience: best restaurants in the entire caribbean, unmatched museums/galleries, boutiques, history, history and more history in every step.

Archived