Just back from Pride of Aloha

nellie

We just sailed on the 9-17-06 sailing. After reading all of the negativity about this cruise I was quite nervous. I am writing this to put your mind at ease if you are sailing on her soon. I have been on 14 cruises in the last 10 years. I expected the ship not to be great, cause it was older, but it wasn't bad. I didn't find it to be dirty at all. The cabins were small but that was to be expected. The service was great. Believe it or not, they must have done something to improve it because we found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Our cabin steward wasn't the greatest but after a little tip from us in the beginning she shaped right up. The bartenders and servers were all very nice. We never wanted for much. Our waiter told us that they had just revamped the menus and changed alot of food items in the last month. Sorry to say, the food was still just fair. We ate in all of the specialty restaurants and found the bistro and the Asian restaurant to be very good. Worth the extra charge. We did not care for the Italian one as much. The buffet and main dining room food was just so so. We still made the best of it and had a wonderful cruise. It seems like the cruise line is aware of their problems and are making every effort to try to fix the problems. The entertainment was enjoyable. Cruising the Hawaiin islands is definately the best way to see Hawaii. Hope you all enjoy the Pride of Aloha as much as we did!

We were in Maui prior to the cruise for 5 days so we really got to enjoy Maui. I would recommend either the zipline excursion or the horseback riding. We had a great time. In Honolulu, we did our own thing. Took a cab to the Hilton on Waikiki beach and rented a chair and just hung out on the beach and ate lunch outside in their restaurant.

In Kaui we had a blast doing the mud buggies. They were sooooo much fun!!!

We also did the Jungle Trek hike, zip line and swimming in the water falls. We enjoyed that tour as well. While in Hilo, one of our favorite excursions was the Secrets of Puna. We walked over formed lava to a black sand beach, swam and snorkeled in an area that was natural heated by lava and a volcano. The water was about 80 degrees. It was so cool. Our tour guide was Anna and she was great. If you do this tour try to go with her! We talked to one of the cruise employees who works behind the shore exc. desk and she said this was the best tour in Hilo. Then in Kona we did the beach blast. Was about a 45min ride to a beautiful beach with full facilities. Included in the price was lunch, snorkeling gear, kayaks and bikes that you could ride in the water. It was a beautiful place. Have a great time. Hawaii is awesome!

I, too, read the positives and the negatives, nellie. We had a great time because we just took it for what it was. We've cruised on Celebrity before, and looked at them for Hawaii, but the Summit doesn't include a stop in Kauai which I think is a must see. I, too, took Secrets of Puna and had a great time! We had a rental car waiting for us in hilo, but the ship staff recommended the tour, and I cannot thank them enough for doing so! You sound like my kind of cruiser!

Thanks Nellie for the positive feedback. I like the other posters have read bad and good reviews and was getting a little concerned. We have been on seven cruises and they were all wonderful. We will be cruising on the Aloha on Jan 5, 06 out of Maui. I really appreciate the information on your excursions. I have been struggling with what to do and make the most of each island. Anything else you can provide along the way will be appreciated by those of us cruising Hawaii in the near future.

We will be staying on Maui for six days after the cruise at the Outrigger Napili.

Again, thanks for taking time to post.

Best regards,

Archived