Question about tours

benfish

I have been looking at the Port of Call section, trying to zero in on some good shore excursions for our cruise on Constellation 1/29/07 and am totally confused and really need some help

My questions are about the tram rides in both Limon and Colon

If we are going to choose to do only one, which is the best? We are

looking for moderate activity

The next question is with these two ports what are the best tours to consider again taking into consideration moderate activity and really looking for the nature side rather then city type tours.

I have posted in the Port of Calls section but the question is general and thought this is the best place to get the needed advice.

PLEASE HELP!!

Colon - good name - is really very impoverished and unattactive; Limon is not much better. These ports are not of the cute island variety, but they are the real deal for a travelor that doesn't wince too much in the third world.

Both are good jumping off points for seeing interior or coastal areas. I've not done any of the Embara Indian culture tours out of Colon but they're well liked by many (buy some molas [indian textile embroidery] somewhere). The canal zone is fascinating and Panama's jungle country side is beautiful albeit hot and hotter.

There are interesting things to see out of Limon too. Hiring a driver-guide in advance is a good idea. As a Floridian, a trip to the Toruntoro [sp? canals was "nice" but similar to nearby rivers, the occasional distant sloth or howler money notwithstanding. CR's coast is beautiful but not really beachy (darker sands). We did a car tour down to the surfer hamlet Peurto Veijo near the Panamanian border. People are pretty friendly generally. I've heard good things about white water rafting tours (not too rigorous), and personally, I'd be interested doing the drive up to the Poas Volcano National Park.

Hope these ideas help.

Archived