Windstar vs. Windsurf vs. RSSC

40cub

My husband and I took the Istanbul/Athens cruise on Windstar several years ago. We are now considering another cruise, but this time on the larger Windsurf. Can anyone who has experienced both vessels give us some pros and cons please? All help appreciated!

We are also weighing the difference between Windstar and Regent Seven Seas. Aside from the attire requirements, how would one rate the two? We did take one Seaborne cruise last year and found it stuffy. :rolleyes:

Can't help you but I'm now concerned about my upcoming cruise. We're trying Seabourn for the first time this coming spring. We've loved our two Windstar cruises due to the size and friendliness and relaxed atmosphere. Stuffyness is a concern. From the brochures it looked like Seabourn might be, but some reviews seem to disagree.

I'd be interested in discussing this off-list if you are willing. My email address is jsiegel at dcn dot org

Thanks, Jackie

My wife and I have taken trips on the Windstar and Windsurf and found the differences slight but important.

First the possitives:

The service is virtually the same with a tremendous crew to help you with almost anything you desire. The food is excellent, the dining rooms similar (the Windsurf does have the Bistro - to be renamed - as a second restaurant).

The shore excursions are handled almost the same way but of course you will have more people on the larger ship.

The Windsurf has one deck of suites if you are interested in having a cabin that is twice the size as the once two decks lower. The lower cabins are just about the same as on the Windstar.

Here are some other things to consider:

1. The Windstar obviously has fewer passengers and we found it easier to make new friends. Because of differences in likes and dislikes we did not meet everyone on board but certainly recognized eachother after a few days. On the Windsurf we encountered many folks whom we never spoke to. The atmosphere was a bit more like aboard large ships.

2. The Windstar (Windspirit and old Windsong) has a larger open deck with the pool area where it is fun to have the barbeque and some of the performances of local troups. The Windsurf has the "Barbeque" inside which ends up being more of a buffet (less fun in our opinion).

There are other things but stuffiness is not one of them. I would say, "Go for it and don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy your trip."

PS. If you want to see some desciptioons of the Windsurf you might have a look at the following web site.

http://www.*****.com/wind_surf.htm

Thank you so much for posting that wonderful website! It gave me some great memories of sailing the WindSurf last year. It also was a terrific travelogue. What a fabulous website! Thanks!

My husband and I took the Istanbul/Athens cruise on Windstar several years ago. We are now considering another cruise, but this time on the larger Windsurf. Can anyone who has experienced both vessels give us some pros and cons please? All help appreciated!

We are also weighing the difference between Windstar and Regent Seven Seas. Aside from the attire requirements, how would one rate the two? We did take one Seaborne cruise last year and found it stuffy. :rolleyes:

We also did the Istanbul/Athens cruise on WindStar. We then cruised on the Radisson Diamond in the Caribbean just before it went out of service. We loved both ships. The difference between the two was the size of the ships. WindStar was more like being on a private yacht and Radisson was more like a ship. Another difference was wine at dinner was included on the Radisson. You might check with Regent and see if they have a no charge for drinks currently. The people we met on both ships were very nice and interesting, not stuffy.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone notice that "40cub" has not responded to anyone's post re: their question. No ,"thank you" or "interesting reponse". Maybe that is why they they think people they met on their Seabourn cruise "seemed stuffy". If you want to be involved with people, you have to interact, not just complain.

Archived