Mercury cabins

Purplepuppy

I am interested in trying a Celebrity cruise (previously have been on NCL and RCI) and am looking at the Mexican Riviera in April 2007 on the Mercury. I understand that they may be upgrading the ship just after this sailing but I wonder about the condition of the cabins currently. Are linens and carpets visibly worn? How are the bathrooms-is there mildew or cracks? Do the hallways have any strange smells (like musty or sewer-like)? I'm really curious about trying Celebrity but I have never been on an older ship-I'm especially concerned about how the bathrooms hold up. I'd try a different ship but I believe that this is the only one going to Mexico-and that this may be the last time?

Thanks for your help!:)

I am interested in trying a Celebrity cruise (previously have been on NCL and RCI) and am looking at the Mexican Riviera in April 2007 on the Mercury. I understand that they may be upgrading the ship just after this sailing but I wonder about the condition of the cabins currently. Are linens and carpets visibly worn? How are the bathrooms-is there mildew or cracks? Do the hallways have any strange smells (like musty or sewer-like)? I'm really curious about trying Celebrity but I have never been on an older ship-I'm especially concerned about how the bathrooms hold up. I'd try a different ship but I believe that this is the only one going to Mexico-and that this may be the last time?

I sailed on the Mercury on September 18th (my first time with Celebrity) and loved the ship (I wrote up a review and it's on this board somewhere.) Like you I was a little apprehensive about the Merc being an older ship but, to me, it looked great and was kept spotlessly clean.

I don't think you'd regret sailing on her.

Dave

I understand that they may be upgrading the ship just after this sailing but I wonder about the condition of the cabins currently. Are linens and carpets visibly worn? How are the bathrooms-is there mildew or cracks? Do the hallways have any strange smells (like musty or sewer-like)? I'm really curious about trying Celebrity but I have never been on an older ship-I'm especially concerned about how the bathrooms hold up. I'd try a different ship but I believe that this is the only one going to Mexico-and that this may be the last time?

I sailed Mercury last fall, my 5th cruise with X.

My cabin would best be described as shabby. Faded carpets, worn bedding, old softgoods, thin towels, cracks in my sink and mold in the shower (later cleaned at my request and shower curtain replaced). Our group had eight Deluxe Ocean View Cabins and the feelings were the same. On the plus side, the cabins were a good size and the food and service in the dining room were very good. My full review was recently posted.

There are public areas that also need to be upgraded but the cabins are in dire need.

I would not cruise on Mercury.

We sailed on the Mercury on the August 2006 Alaska itinerary. My review was recently posted.

In short, no problems with the cabins or the public areas. Clean, shiny, comfortable - fully acceptable. I think that was the general feeling of most of the people aboard that cruise.

I just got off the Mercury today, and while we had a good time, I'd think twice about cruising on the ship again. We had a concierge class balcony cabin. The bathroom smelled very strongly of mildew, and the whole cabin was somewhat musty. I have asthma (not too bad, fortunately), and I had to keep the balcony door open all the way whenever I was in the cabin. The weather was pleasant enough that this wasn't really a problem (the room was too warm anyway), but in hotter or colder weather it would have been very uncomfortable.

We have sailed on Celebrity's Constellation, Infinity, Millennium, Century, and Mercury. Our January/February 2005 cruise on the Mercury had a fantastic group of passengers, a spacious cabin with a huge balcony (sky suite) and excellent food, so we had a great time. However, it was our only Celebrity cruise where I observed deferred maintenance throughout the ship.

Shoreless, which cabin were you in?

We were in 1125. Except for the mildew I was happy enough with it. If the weather had been such that I would have had to keep the balcony door closed I guess I would have complained, but I was afraid that if I asked for extra cleaning that the cleaning products might actually make it worse. I always try to stay in hotels that have windows that can be opened because I'm allergic to a lot of the cleaning products they use.

The cabin had its good points. It wasn't large, but there was plenty of storage space, it was quiet, it was convenient to stairs and elevators (very easy to get to food:) ), and the balcony was nice (although smallish).

I'd read some posts about overhangs, but I never gave it much thought until I was on board. It turns out that, at least in the section of cabins near ours, the overhangs are in a pattern where every few cabins there is a cutout section where there is no overhang for the last half of one cabin and the first half of the next cabin. We had one of the cutout sections, which gives a more open view.

The beds are quite hard, but I slept pretty well; on a longer cruise, I might have asked for the extra padding.

Thanks Sue! I know exactly what you are talking about the odor vs cleansers! We had a wonderful trip in a RS on Century but there was a really musty + sewer smell the last three days. We too just opened all the doors and "rolled" with it! A friend who was traveling with us who had an inside across the hall was another story! Poor guy had to get a fan in the middle of the night and slept with his door open! I guess these smells happen. I have seen the same thing on one whole deck of HAL's Rotterdam. Luckily it was the deck below us on that one! Once the water gets into the walls and carpet, it's just a matter of time until the mold develops. Hoping they got the Century's problem under control when she went in for drydock! If not, we'll just open those doors!:D

Sailed Mercury on Sept. 25th, SS 1205. Nothing shabby or smelly about the cabin, passageways, dining spaces, or any other public area I noticed. Some minute signs of normal wear on chairs in some areas, but nothing serious like tears, staining.

We were in an inside quad, 8081, on the Mercury on 8/25/06, and there was no problems that I saw. There was a slight rubbed off area on the bathroom sink, but not a big deal to me. The rest of the room seemed exactly the same condition as any of the other inside quad cabins I had on my prior 2 cruises on Royal Cariib. and NCL. We thought the Mercury was a great ship.

We were in 1125. Except for the mildew I was happy enough with it. If the weather had been such that I would have had to keep the balcony door closed I guess I would have complained, but I was afraid that if I asked for extra cleaning that the cleaning products might actually make it worse. I always try to stay in hotels that have windows that can be opened because I'm allergic to a lot of the cleaning products they use.

The cabin had its good points. It wasn't large, but there was plenty of storage space, it was quiet, it was convenient to stairs and elevators (very easy to get to food:) ), and the balcony was nice (although smallish).

I'd read some posts about overhangs, but I never gave it much thought until I was on board. It turns out that, at least in the section of cabins near ours, the overhangs are in a pattern where every few cabins there is a cutout section where there is no overhang for the last half of one cabin and the first half of the next cabin. We had one of the cutout sections, which gives a more open view.

The beds are quite hard, but I slept pretty well; on a longer cruise, I might have asked for the extra padding.

We are in 1125 on Dec. 1st...little nervous about the smell now.:eek:

We are in 1125 on Dec. 1st...little nervous about the smell now.:eek:

If you don't have allergies you'll probably be fine. The smell was strongest in the bathroom, but thankfully there was no sewer smell, just the mold/mildew smell. It was no worse than I have smelled in some summer cottages that have been closed up for a while. I saw in a previous post that someone asked for extra cleaning/scrubbing in a cabin and that got rid of their problem, so that might also help, as long as you don't tend to be allergic to most cleaning products. And, of course, if anyone else has requested it, it might be fixed before you even get onboard.

It wasn't bad enough to ruin our cruise.:) Have a great time on yours!

We returned from a MERCURY cruise on Oct. 6, and had a CC cabin. Our cabin was very clean, the carpeting new. Overall, while the ship needs decorative updating, it is kept spotless. This was our first cruise on MERCURY, and we will sail on it again for a similar cruise without hesitation. The staff were all professional, warm and courteous, and we always felt like valued guests.

Nicki

We returned from a MERCURY cruise on Oct. 6, and had a CC cabin. Our cabin was very clean, the carpeting new. Overall, while the ship needs decorative updating, it is kept spotless. This was our first cruise on MERCURY, and we will sail on it again for a similar cruise without hesitation. The staff were all professional, warm and courteous, and we always felt like valued guests.

Nicki

and if you don't mind me asking....what cabin?

Archived