Avalon Waterways

seagoingJLW

My wife and I plus another couple from Marin County sailed on the Artistry on May 20 thru June 3rd. We took the Danube Discovery sailing from Budapest to Nuremberg and taking a Bus from Nurenberg to Prague. The ship was brand new, and the cabins were large(172 sq ft) compared to other river boats we have been on. The food was fresh and perfectly presented with wine included with dinner--all you could drink!! The cruise director was accomodating and saw to our every needs, and the shore excursions were included in the total price except for a Vienna Concert and an all-day trip to Salzburg. The hotels in Budapest (Sofitel Atrium) and Prague (Renaissance) were 5 Stars and we were treated royally. The nightly entertainment in the Lounge was local but very professionally done, and the bar drinks were mixed to American taste, both on the ship and in the hotels.

We had made our reservations on the Artistry last Sept. and thus were given a 15% discount plus an additional $100.00 AARP Senior discount thru Brendan

Tours. Globus also partners with Avalon Waterways to make reservations. Our room was on the Royal Deck, but all rooms on the Sapphire or Royal Deck are the same, but I would not reserve rooms on the Indigo Deck as at night the windows on that deck are partially under water. We used our Mileage

Plus for a Luftansa flight from SFO to Budapest (with a stop in Munich). The flight was long (13-14 hours) but it is well worth it once you arrive in Budapest and we hated to leave Prague to fly home on June 3rd. We definitely can recommend the ship and will cruise it again in a few years.

Bon Voyage, Henry

My wife and I took the same trip last month (June 9th) on the Symphony. My comments about the cruise would be the same. It was an oustanding trip, and I plan to use this company again. At lunch and dinner they not only had a desert, but a desert buffet table and everything was outstanding. We did have a room on the bottom(Hayden) deck and it was no problem- the same size as all standard cabins. Our window was never below water! As we were never in our room except to sleep or change, why pay more for a view five feet higher? Again, it is a great trip. We added a day at each end, and were glad we did because you really need more time in Budapest and Prague. We also booked in September, but got a free companion airfare, saving $1000.00 booking through Globus, plus our AARP discount. As I said , it was a great trip and I thing this cruiseline is one of the best.

Dennis

We just completed a 12 days "Legendary Danube" cruise aboard the MS Symphony. Everything was great. The hotels in Prague and Budapest were outstanding and the Ms Symphony surpassed our highest expectations. The crew was extremely friendly and knowlegable and the food was fantastic --- especially the sumtuous breakfast buffet. Amadeus Waterway's state-side office was very helpful. The same cruise program is offered by various tour operators. We found UET on the web --- http://*****amade1.html --- and booked with them since UET offered the cruise at the best price. We saved substancially with them and our booking was handled vary professionally.

• 1 month later...

Husband and I just signed up for July 2005 on the new Poetry. We were so impressed by comments and info on this line that we booked immediately. We've cruised alot and have always wanted to do a river cruise. We've hesitated because my husband is 6' 7" and would be uncomfortable in the traditional cabin. We booked a Jr. Suite and now are excited about the trip and itinerary. Thanks to all of you and to Avalon for making such a trip possible. Carmela and Karl

• 3 months later...

I have a tentative reservation on the Artistry for May 2005 and have never been a riverboat cruise. I very much enjoyed reading your review of the same cruise I'm considering. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. How was the weather in May? Cool? Sunny? Much rain? Also, I'm going as a single woman and wondering if there were other single women on this cruise. I've traveled alone a lot and always met other ladies traveling together and hope to meet compatible traveling companions to share dinner with, etc. Any details you can give me will be much appreciated. Annie

My wife and I plus another couple from Marin County sailed on the Artistry on May 20 thru June 3rd. We took the Danube Discovery sailing from Budapest to Nuremberg and taking a Bus from Nurenberg to Prague. The ship was brand new, and the cabins were large(172 sq ft) compared to other river boats we have been on. The food was fresh and perfectly presented with wine included with dinner--all you could drink!! The cruise director was accomodating and saw to our every needs, and the shore excursions were included in the total price except for a Vienna Concert and an all-day trip to Salzburg. The hotels in Budapest (Sofitel Atrium) and Prague (Renaissance) were 5 Stars and we were treated royally. The nightly entertainment in the Lounge was local but very professionally done, and the bar drinks were mixed to American taste, both on the ship and in the hotels.

We had made our reservations on the Artistry last Sept. and thus were given a 15% discount plus an additional $100.00 AARP Senior discount thru Brendan

Tours. Globus also partners with Avalon Waterways to make reservations. Our room was on the Royal Deck, but all rooms on the Sapphire or Royal Deck are the same, but I would not reserve rooms on the Indigo Deck as at night the windows on that deck are partially under water. We used our Mileage

Plus for a Luftansa flight from SFO to Budapest (with a stop in Munich). The flight was long (13-14 hours) but it is well worth it once you arrive in Budapest and we hated to leave Prague to fly home on June 3rd. We definitely can recommend the ship and will cruise it again in a few years.

Bon Voyage, Henry

• 1 month later...

I also am intrigued by the reviews I've seen here. However, I was wondering if anyone has cruised to the Black Sea on this line? The cruise my husband and I are looking at starts in Budapest and goes to Constanta. Then they provide transportation to Bucharest and a night there before returning home.

It sounds interesting, but are we better off going north to Prague instead? And should we extend in Bucharest? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

We are a group of 10 people (mostly seniors). We are booked on the Artistry for Oct. 13, 2005 Blue Danube River Cruise. Been on bigger cruise ships before but never on River cruise. Concerned about meals and their schedules. Can anyone with River Cruise experience give us some feedback?

Wah

We are a group of 10 people (mostly seniors). We are booked on the Artistry for Oct. 13, 2005 Blue Danube River Cruise. Been on bigger cruise ships before but never on River cruise. Concerned about meals and their schedules. Can anyone with River Cruise experience give us some feedback?

Wah

Please let me know. after your cruise, how it went. We are also concerned about the amount of walking involved as we are seniors who need to have our joints oiled. Nothing works very well.

Thanks.

Joan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay they have the average size restrictions of 30x21x11 and no more then 60 pounds. They reccomend no more then one hand luggage at 17x8x14. Travel light. For every week pack five to seven tops or shirts, Bermuda slacks or shorts. Bring three smart casual outfits for evening and one dressier for Captains night. A warm sweater for evenings, raincoat and a umbrella. Pack one pair of comfortable walking shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned a few weeks ago from a wonderful trip on the MS Symphony.

I wanted to tell everyone that it is was very casual dress onboard.I took too many dresses.They have 1 rule -no shorts at dinner.In the evenings it was mostly slacks and a few skirts for the ladies and men wore a golf shirt or casual shirt with casual pants even nice jeans or the zip pants.There is 1 dress up night for the captains dinner.Only maybe 40% of men had jackets.I think they do this because alot of times you don't come back onboard until 1 hour or less before dinner.

I did write a review on the river cruise board here but if anyone has any questions-ask away.

For all those going soon-have a wonderful trip!

we are on the symphone from nuremburg to luxemburg in mid sept. do you have any suggestions to enhance the cruise (if none, great). also we will be in berlin before the cruise and in belgium for 3 nites after the cruise. any suggestions for those two cities. thanks.

Thanks for the update on what to wear at dinner....very helpful! On the one dressy night, how dressy do the women get? Cocktail dresses? Has anyone gone across Germany in Sept? Wondering what the weather will be like....

The captain's dinner attire:Cocktail dresses,nice pant set or skirt and dressy top for the Ladies.Only about half of the men wore jackets and ties.

Tables in dining room are set up for 6 or 8 people and there is no fixed sitting so sit where you want and with who you want.It is a good way to meet everyone.

I cannot help with those towns as we did not go to any of them.Our tour started with 3 days in Paris before going from Trier through Germany,Austria,Slovakia and Budapest.Enjoyed them all but my favourites were Rottenburg,Vienna and Budapest.

As for walking you always have the option of going on the walking tour which usually lasted for an hour or wandering through the town by yourselves and meeting up later or staying on the ship.Most streets were cobblestone so wear comfortable shoes.Our cruise director [Wade] was fantastic.Wherever possible he would made sure if some could not walk up hills to get to Palaces,churches etc there were taxis or buses so people did not miss out.

Entertainment at night: piano player every night, a crew show and some nights local entertainment came aboard.

Please feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Well, since you offered.... is there connectivity on the ship? If so, how is it set up - in the rooms or in a central location or both? And what about charges to use it?

You mentioned that the walking tours took about an hour. What was a typical day in port? Were tours in the mornings or after lunch? Were lunches on board those days? About how much time did have in each place, and did you have free time?

Well, that's plenty of questions right there!

MC

Email connection-There is email only onboard-no internet but in some towns they have internet cafes which are usually 20-30 minutes for a Euro.You can send emails onboard for 2 euros each.If you get emails sent to you there is no charge-they print them off and leave them in your cabin.

Tours-You always stopped at least once a day for a tour and half of the trip you did 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM.There was always free time but usually only less than 1 hour.Many times we wandered off on our own and met up with the group later on the ship or at the meeting point[ if we had been bussed that day].In most towns they docked right at the town and you only had to walk 1 block to get to the main square.Only on 3 or 4 occasions did we have to be taken to the town by bus because of distance away from the ship.

Breakfast and lunch[buffet style]was always served onboard.If there was an all day tour they usually included your lunch at a restaurant [ex Rottenburg]

My turn for questions now.

Is everyone getting excited yet?

When does everyone leave,what Avalon Waterways ship are you on and what tour are you taking.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on Artistry for the Danube Discovery on Octover 13 to 27. We booked 5 rooms on the Indigo deck. Could you tell me more about the ship e.g. food, city tours etc. also walking tours

Thanks

Oh yes, we are getting excited but nervous about this cruise. We've taken plenty of cruises but with other bigger cruise lines, never been on river cruise that's why we are nervous.

• 2 months later...

Archived