Question about boarding in San Diego

bright eyes

We are going on the Carnival Spirit 12/9/06 and I read a post saying it is hard to either get to or get through. I also read a post saying it was one of the easiest terminals to go through. Does anyone know what they meant by being difficult? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Harbor View the night before the cruise. Is it close enough to walk to the terminal or should we take a taxi because of the luggage? Any help with this would be appreciated.

:-)

We've stayed at that Holiday Inn pre and post cruise before and loved it. The San Diego port is amazing because the ship is docked with the bow next to the public street. At other ports we've been to there is a huge port facility you have to go through in order to get to the port buildings.

Back to your question. You are close enough to walk to the port but you have to cross a street that is at least 4 lanes wide (2 lanes each way) and the traffic is terrible on cruise days because there is so many cars dropping off and picking up. Here's the great news: the Holiday Inn will bring you there in there van for free and pick you up if you're staying there after the cruise. We planned on walking but when we saw how busy the street was and since we had 2 kids and a lot of luggage, we took the hotel van.

We cruised on the Spirit in Jan 06 out of San Diego. Had a wonderful time!!!!

Stayed at the Holiday Inn right across the street from the terminal. You can walk across, take a cab (yes, they will take you over ... the cabbie laughed when we asked, said a fare is a fare), or take the hotel shuttle (be sure to make reservations for it with the concierge). When we came back we got off the ship and just walked across to the hotel.

We had to wait in a line outside the terminal to drop off luggage. Not bad BUT my brother in law is disabled and waiting in the line for about 20 minutes was very difficult for him. You cannot request a wheelchair until you get to the terminal itself and are inside. Staff allowed him to wait up ahead for us as we dropped off luggage. Then crossed the small parkway to the terminal to another small/very short line to get inside. Once inside it went extremely smooth to check in.

We got there at 11 am and they were not able to get wheelchair down to us until noon. LOTS of seating in the terminal, bathrooms, and a small store for water, snacks, and souvenirs. Also a bar (if I remember correctly).

Once we were cleared for boarding (after noon) we got right on. Were in the first group to board because of traveling with someone handicapped. Again a bit of a walk to the elevator and/or ramps up to the boarding deck. We took the ramp and met our family at the elevator exit above. Didn't want to take up valuable elevator space from someone who really needed it.

Disembarking was a breeze. Luggage was separated by color and easy to find. Family took a cab back to the hotel and we walked over.

Checking process was smooth and well handled. The only negative we encountered was the wheelchair. We had been told that a wheelchair would be available right away by our TA (after calling Carnival). When it wasn't, it did pose a problem as there is only 1 bench outside by the luggage area. It would be great if they could add in some outside seats for those who have difficulty standing lengths of time. Next cruise from there, family will have their own scooter prior to boarding so won't be an issue.

Definitely a great port to leave from and return to.

NOTE: As of last Jan 06 there was NOT a VIP area for Carnival or the Carnival Vacation Club. Heard mentioned that there would be one soon.

Thanks for all the helpful answers. We will take the shuttle for sure. I can hardly wait. Hope they do have the VIP check-in as we got one of the wrap around mini suites, think it is 4327, or 4237, one of those anyway, with a connecting room for our son and his girlfriend. Sounds like it will be easy to pass time at the terminal. I love to get there early. Also sounds like check-in is pretty easy. 9 weeks and 1 day to go. I also prepaid the gratuities, so we won't go into culture shock when we get our sail and sign bill. Would it be foolish to get to the terminal around 10:00?

Thanks again!

San Diego was the easiest port we have ever been to. We drove from home so we did not need a hotel. Got there early around 10:30 walked right up and they made sure everyone had all their stuff in order and in their hands and walked right in. Very organized.

Have fun!!!

I also want to add...it was one of the prettiest ports.

If you stay at the Holiday Inn across from terminal, it is so cool to actually see the ship come in. (request balcony facing terminal) Also if you take a taxi, please tip nicely they have waited in line a long time for such a short distance, but I realize it is too far with luggage to walk!

Happy Cruisin:)

I am a San Diegan so thought I would throw my 2 cents in. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn directly across from the cruise terminal(there are a few Holiday Inns) it is definetly walkable. They have installed a pedestrian cross walk within the last year that is almost right in front of the cruise terminal so that you can cross Harbor Drive easily(that is the 4 laid road mentioned.). From the Holiday Inn to cruise terminal is only a few hundred yards. If there is more than 1 ship in that day driving thru there might be tricky, but walking should be easy.

Here is a link to the Port of San Diego for a schedule of cruise ships http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandiego_maritime/cruise/schedulesearch.asp

If you want to see things for yourself, go to the Signonsandiego.com website click on webcams and select the Columbia camera. The Holiday Inn is the shorter single building in front of the 2 large towers. You can see the Cruise Ship terminal right across the street and even see "your ship coming in" if it is in port.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your stay in San Diego.

Buck, I'm so jealous! We had a few extra days in San Diego before and after our cruise and I fell in love with San Diego. Your weather is PERFECT year round! I live in Illinois where we have hot/humid summers and snow/ice/freezing cold winters.

I keep saying if I win the lottery, we'll move to San Diego!

Thanks for all the helpful answers. We will take the shuttle for sure. I can hardly wait. Hope they do have the VIP check-in as we got one of the wrap around mini suites, think it is 4327, or 4237, one of those anyway, with a connecting room for our son and his girlfriend. Sounds like it will be easy to pass time at the terminal. I love to get there early. Also sounds like check-in is pretty easy. 9 weeks and 1 day to go. I also prepaid the gratuities, so we won't go into culture shock when we get our sail and sign bill. Would it be foolish to get to the terminal around 10:00?

Thanks again!

Personally I think 10 am is too early. We couldn't board until noon (we got there at 11 am) so spent a while just sitting in the terminal. Not much to see within the terminal.

That morning we walked along the waterfront, had a nice breakfast, then headed over to the ship. Truly enjoyed the morning in San Diego.

Here is my shot of the next pier over called Broadway Pier. The second one is With ships at the Cruise ship Pier

Ruf

http://static.flickr.com/51/189799469_5ddd90ce76_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/101/262760697_553ddc0c5e_b.jpg

Nice shots of Downtown. Did you take the skyline picture from Harbor Island?

I take it you live here also?

D4 - Glad you had a good time in San Diego. Hope you have a chance to visit again. Like any City there are pluses and minuses, but I think we are lucky.... but I've only lived here.

I too have plans for my lottery winnings.....no plans for relocation...just to not have to do the job thing, enjoy San Diego & go on a few cruises a year!

If you are staying at the "Holiday Inn Harbor View" - it is about a mile from the cruise terminal. There are three (3) Holiday Inn's NEAR the cruise terminal . . . The one that is across the street from the cruise terminal is the "Holiday Inn on the Bay". The other one is called "Holiday Inn Bayside" - which is about 3 1/2 miles from the cruise terminal.

I hope this helps.

Tom

brighteyes,

The Holiday Inn ON THE BAY is directly across the street from the ship. You said yours was HARBOR VIEW and that is on 1st street. Two years ago when we cruised the Spirit we stayed at a hotel on Ash and 5th and took their shuttle. It is a long walk with luggage. Both times we cruised from San Diego we arrived at the port around 10 and didn't get on the ship till noon but we were in the first group. Have a great time.

Archived