Tipping

Kinkacruiser

Hi all,

I read that tipping is automatically taken out of your kitty to the tune of $4.50 per day per person and that you can have this adjusted if you wish...up or down. So my question is.. what is the service like and do most people stick to the $4.50 per day base?

Thanks for any comments,

Cheers,

Kinka

We didn't adjust the automatic tipping. Our youngest(12) wasn't charged, although we did check he wasn't, as recommended by past cruisers. We were always happy with the service but decided to give a tip (discreetly) to our table waiter who was very shy & 'formal' at the start of the cruise but who mellowed out (& laughed at my husbands jokes:eek: ), by the week's end! We had an interesting talk to a drinks waiter at one of the bars who told us all the automatic tipping went to the staff in the dining & housekeeping areas. No-one else receives it. Of course we will never know if she was just angling for a tip from us!

Cheers

We had an interesting talk to a drinks waiter at one of the bars who told us all the automatic tipping went to the staff in the dining & housekeeping areas. No-one else receives it. Of course we will never know if she was just angling for a tip from us!

Cheers

The drinks waiter is right - if you notice on your printout it will show "meal grat" and "room grats" - these tips do go to the kitchen and cabin staff. What the drinks waiter didn't tell you was that their tips (approx 10%) are added into the cost of the drinks that you purchase.

Cheers Rach

The drinks waiter is right - if you notice on your printout it will show "meal grat" and "room grats" - these tips do go to the kitchen and cabin staff. What the drinks waiter didn't tell you was that their tips (approx 10%) are added into the cost of the drinks that you purchase.

Cheers Rach

Hi Rach!

The penny has now dropped as to why the drink waiters in the bar areas always 'jumped you' on your way to the bar...even at times when one was sitting at the bar! I got annoyed with DH at times, as our drinks would take ages to arrive via the waiter! Poor darling;)

Cheers

Hi

We were extremly happy with the service on our cruise so left the P&O tipping of $4.50 per adult per day on.

We also decided to get gratitude envelopes from the pursers desk & personally tipped our meal & drinks waiters along with our cabin steward & his assistant (the assistant we tipped slighly less).

These people work a huge amount of hours & nothing was too much trouble.

Deb

According to the new P&O brochure I got my little paws on, the tipping has gone up to $5.50 per day, per adult.

On top of the $3.00 delivery fee for the free continental brekkie.

I didnt mind spending close to a $100 on tips on our last cruise because they deserved it, but we're not made of money...:eek: I dare say P&O are getting a little greedy now...as if we dont spend enough while on the bloody ships. :rolleyes:

I agree Tinalou, we took the automatic tipping off and tipped for good service at the end of the cruise including wine, food and cabin staff. One of our cabin stewards wasn't so "friendly" or helpful, so he didn't get tipped! I feel tipping is a personal thing and shouldn't be automatically deducted, some people just can't afford it, after drinks, shore tours, gifts and of course Bingo is deducted!!!! Especially if you have kids as well!!

We mostly had great service, and will always tip for if at the end.

Cheryl

As I have said before, we were told by the staff that all tipping, whether you give extra in an envelope to someone special, has to go to the 'pool' where it is all divided between every staff member. Those who don't hand in what they are given risk getting dismissed!! So I am sticking to the $5.50 per day.

Archived