Need help on my Alaskan excursions

cruisevacationsrock

After weeks of viewing the posts and checking the various websites of the independent tour operators, my husband and I have decided what to do while in Alaska. But I still don't know what to do in a few ports, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

In Skagway, we are going to go dogsledding, but have only found one tour operator, Temsco, are there any others? I would also like to do a horseback riding exercusion thru Chilkoot Adventures. I know I'll have enough time, but was hoping someone could tell me how Chilkoot was, have not seen any posts on them??

In Ketichikan, we will be doing flightseeing, but nothing else (on the ship's exursions) interest us. I've heard the Dear Mountain Hatchery is interesting, but can you point anything else of interest there?

In Icy Strait Point, I would really just like to walk around go thru the trails and take it all in. ARe there any independent tour operators that do wildlife tours here?

any help is greatly appreciated. These boards have been a godsend for us in planning our Alaskan cruise

C

here's a link to the deer mountain tribal hatchery and eagle center

http://www.kictribe.org/Hatchery/Hatchery.htm

where you can observe rehabilitating eagles and salmon hatch and swim upstream.

the visitors' website for icy strait point is www.visithoonah.com

you can walk the trails around hoonah on your own. i don't know of any company that offers a walking/hiking tour. FISHES www.visithoonah.com/fishes/ offers a small boat whale watching/ wildlife tour.

Christina,

I was part of a group of 7 that visited Icy Strait in August. 4 of the group took the nature trails on their own. They said it was beautiful and they enjoyed it. But I don't think it took very long.

The other 3 of us took a wildlife cruise with Floyd at FISHES. On the way out to the point with the whales, we saw brown bear butt (by the time we saw what Floyd was pointing out, the bear was on his way off the beach into the woods), deer (which was not at all concerned by Floyd practically beaching the boat a few feet from it), sea lions, porpoises. When we reached the point, we found a pod of about 8 or 9 humpbacks. 5 or 6 stayed in a tight group but there was also a mother and calf and a couple of stragglers around. We watched for quite a while, joined eventually by the ship's excursion boat. Then the pod began moving in the direction of Icy Point. The ship's excursion boat got ahead of the pod and we trailed slowly behind them. Then Floyd stopped the boat and said the whales were turning around. They not only turned around, they came directly at our boat! At what seemed like the last minute, they all veered off to their left and passed by the right side of our boat. So close we could almost touch them. It was one of the most unforgettable things I've ever experienced.

After that one and another wonderful one with Davey on the Ester G in Sitka, I would wholeheartedly recommend an independent excursion in a small boat with a local, knowledgable guide. Just a very different experience.

Margaret

Thanks for the help! We are doing whale watching in Juneau, so my husband doesn't want to do another whale watching in ISP. I think we'll just walk the trails or do one of the excursions thru the line. I was told that there are no independent excursions for the nature trails, that they have to be booked thru the cruise line - in Icy Strait- does anyone know is this is true or not?

Thanks again!

C

Thanks for the help! We are doing whale watching in Juneau, so my husband doesn't want to do another whale watching in ISP. I think we'll just walk the trails or do one of the excursions thru the line. I was told that there are no independent excursions for the nature trails, that they have to be booked thru the cruise line - in Icy Strait- does anyone know is this is true or not?

Yes that is true. Icy Strait Point is a gated facility that deals only with the single ship that arrives each day. Independent operators from the nearby village of Hoonah are not allowed inside the gates - they meet you just outside.

Cathy & I went out with Floyd (F.I.S.H.E.S.) in June and it was extremely good. The cultural dance presentation at ISP is also well worth seeing, and walking the main forest trail is highly recommended.

Murray

After weeks of viewing the posts and checking the various websites of the independent tour operators, my husband and I have decided what to do while in Alaska. But I still don't know what to do in a few ports, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

In Skagway, we are going to go dogsledding, but have only found one tour operator, Temsco, are there any others? I would also like to do a horseback riding exercusion thru Chilkoot Adventures. I know I'll have enough time, but was hoping someone could tell me how Chilkoot was, have not seen any posts on them??

In Ketichikan, we will be doing flightseeing, but nothing else (on the ship's exursions) interest us. I've heard the Dear Mountain Hatchery is interesting, but can you point anything else of interest there?

In Icy Strait Point, I would really just like to walk around go thru the trails and take it all in. ARe there any independent tour operators that do wildlife tours here?

any help is greatly appreciated. These boards have been a godsend for us in planning our Alaskan cruise

C

The "nature trails" at Icy Strait will take all of 20 minutes to walk independently, can get a nice photo of your ship. I don't think it is what you think it is?? Goes along the coast and loops back though woods. Wildlife would be extremely rare, I would speculate.

I can highly recommend TECKK operators, if you want more and a good look at Hoonah- you will see NONE if you don't leave "Icy Strait". I went on a bear watching with him. http://teckkoutfitters.com/

Chilkoot Adventures does not run the Yukon horseback riding, they book for Joni who gets consistant raves. TEMSCO is the only helicopter company in Skagway.

In Ketchikan, you can easily walk to the Hatchery and the Totem Heritage Museum is right across the street, if of interest, in the past they had cheap combo tickets. Pick up a walking tour map at the visitor center. Very small, but interesting. To enhance your walk, you can take the funicular up to the Westmark Fox , out the back for a look at their totems and back down the "Married Man's trail". On Park just turn right, if salmon is running there is also a fish ladder.

Thanks BQ for the advice. I know TECKK has a walk that they offer, and once hubby saw that he was interested in that. We will either book directly thru TEMSCO or the cruise line for the dogsledding. I would like to do the dogsledding independent, because there was a tour with Southeast Tours that I was interested in.

There is so much to do!!! I thought this would be a "once in a lifetime" trip but am now thinking I'll have to go back!!

Thanks for everything.

christina

In my own research I have not been able to find a private horse back ride for less than $120 a person. Is this what you found?

Yes, I saw that for the horseback. Not sure who it was that you saw. I found Chilkoot tours, but they don't do independent only thru the cruiseline. There is another one, but can't remember their name. We won't have time cause it's too long and we had another tour (dogsledding maybe) and wouldn't have time for both!

Way too much to choose from.

C

Also I dont know if youre interested but I've heard something or 2 about breweries in Alaska. I'm personally interested in tastings but dont know if they're close enough to stop by on your way back to the ship.

Juneau has a brewery, easily gotten to via city bus, but takes up time. http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

If going to Anchorage, my husband just loves Moose's Tooth and Glacier Brewhouse brews.

• 2 weeks later...

in Ketchikan you can take kayak tours, which are fun. We did an easy one, but there was a wildlife viewing tour offered also. We booked through the ship.

The Alaskan Brewery is VERY cool. The bus will get you there on a weekday, but make sure you find out the schedule ahead of time .. we bused TO the brewery on a Sunday, got there just after they closed and had to taxi back because the bus we'd taken was the last bus of the day. The taxi isn't a bad option ... not too pricey for that distance and it's door-to-door. The brewery will give youj all the tastings you want, but the tour is nothing but a short talk.

I have posted this suggestion many times, so I apologize to those who will see it and say "not again" LOL, but one of the biggest highlights of my cruise to Alaska in June was doing the Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure in Ketchikan. It was just awesome. I kept VERY warm in the wetsuit. I would have never guessed that the air as well as water temps were each a nippy 54 degrees (F), and although I am from Michigan, I am a wus in the cold!!!

Ketchikan... We did flightseeing in the fjords... it was definitely a hightlight for us. In fact I loved Ketchikan and would have liked more time just to walk around the village. There is a suggested walking tour that you get in the Guide to Ketchikan tourist booklet they give you when you reach port. We did get to see Creek Street and visit Dolly's house but as I said there was more that we could have seen if time had permitted... the Lumberjack show is right near the docks.

Archived