Thoughts on Balconies

Tropicalshowers

Hi all,

Went to see the TA when we got home to tell him about our cruise & commented to him that next cruise :D we would definitely want an outside cabin..or even a balcony. He said a balcony was a waste of money unless you didn't go ashore on port days as it is so windy when the ship is moving. I must agree it was always breezy out on the upper decks but I wondered if anyone here could comment. I do like fresh air!

Cheers

Hi all,

Went to see the TA when we got home to tell him about our cruise & commented to him that next cruise :D we would definitely want an outside cabin..or even a balcony. He said a balcony was a waste of money unless you didn't go ashore on port days as it is so windy when the ship is moving. I must agree it was always breezy out on the upper decks but I wondered if anyone here could comment. I do like fresh air!

Cheers

Haven't had a balcony cabin, and on the Australian ships I'd don't think I'd bother. The cabins on both Sun & Star are very exposed, so I don't think there'd be much privacy - particularly on the ones close to the viewing areas at the front of the ship - and yes, as your TA says they'd be very exposed to the elements while at sea.

As for an outside cabin, having been in both, an outside cabin is a must. It's nice to be able to wake up in the morning and look out the window and see where you are.

An outside cabin is the go BUT if the cruise is too good to refuse an inside cabin will do very well!!! lol.

We had our first inside cabin earlier this year and I must admit when I walked into the room I breathed in and held up my shoulders and thought "OMG" I don't think I'm going to like this at all, but we didn't spend that much time in the room and it didn't take too long to get used to there being no window.

If I had a choice at a great CHEAP price I'd always pick the window but hey some bargains are too good to pass!!!

Kerri

Hi there, I agree with Kezza. I would rather do 4 to 5 cruises a year inside if the price is good.. that is what I do . whenever the specials come up. I choose which ones I want, and that is the years quota. years ago I would want dearer cabins... but you don't sit in the cabin all day. it is only used for sleep, shower and getting ready for dinner.

the service is the same whever you are.

regards, Lorraine:) :)

The first cruise I went on was a cabin with an inside and that was fine, cause I didn't know any better. And I was never in there except to shower and sleep. And then my next cruises were outside cabins. And I agree, that is fantastic, to be able to look outside your window at the port! :)

I love windows the best! :D But if it was an inside cruise or no cruise, I would go with a cruise of course!!

An outside cabin is the go BUT if the cruise is too good to refuse an inside cabin will do very well!!! lol.

We had our first inside cabin earlier this year and I must admit when I walked into the room I breathed in and held up my shoulders and thought "OMG" I don't think I'm going to like this at all, but we didn't spend that much time in the room and it didn't take too long to get used to there being no window.

If I had a choice at a great CHEAP price I'd always pick the window but hey some bargains are too good to pass!!!

Kerri

Oh yeah, that's true. The one cruise we did an in an inside cabin we did because it was cheap.... $900 each for 10 nights inside cabin on Empress Deck on Sun.

I wouldn't turn down a cheap cruise because it was an inside cabin!

Wind on exposed balconies can be a problem.

Balconies that are "hull cut", as on Pacific Dawn (Regal Princess), and the Sun class of Princess ships are certainly more protected from the wind than those on the Grand class of Princess ships.

I for one thing balconies are somewhat over-rated.

One of of the first things I do once I'm board is to ask the steward to remove one of the chairs from the balcony and replace it with a sunlounger.... which, if it's a warm night, I sleep on at night. The cabins are either on the sides or stern of the ship, so there is just a gentle wind. Remember, the ship is typically moving at 15-20 knots, and the wind is usually on the bow.

So, this cruiser couldn't manage without a balcony....

If you've never tried a balcony cabin you don't know what you're missing. Your breakfast served there at whatever time you like. Somewhere private to sunbathe and relax. Fresh air without having to get to an open deck. Watching the moonlight on the water and the stars with no intrusion from light pollution. Watching all the activity as you arrive and depart a port. Try it once and you will be hooked.

One of of the first things I do once I'm board is to ask the steward to remove one of the chairs from the balcony and replace it with a sunlounger.... which, if it's a warm night, I sleep on at night. The cabins are either on the sides or stern of the ship, so there is just a gentle wind. Remember, the ship is typically moving at 15-20 knots, and the wind is usually on the bow.

So, this cruiser couldn't manage without a balcony....

On Pacific Star & Pacific Sun the balcony cabins are on the top deck and far forward, so they are quite exposed.

Thanks for your responses! I agree about the lack of privacy for those with balconies on the Star. Hubby & I always felt we were intruding on someone's private space when going up to watch port departures. I tended to spend more time in our cabin initially, because our son was ill at the start of the cruise & I guess that wasn't the best way to begin for having an inside cabin.

Cheers

Hi I have had all three - inside on our first cruise, balcony on our second and a window on our third. If I didn't have a choice I would go inside but its fantastic having a balcony. Our next cruise on the Pacific Princess we have an aft balcony which is one of the largest ones so there will be no wind so I anticipate being out there quite a lot of the time - we aren't sun bakers so we will lay out there in the shade and read our books rather than fight for a spot up on the pool deck. Also the cruise after on the Norwegian Sun we have a balcony. Once you have a balcony its very hard to go back. :D

We have always had a porthole or inside cabin. It is nice to wake up and see the sun and know what time it is. We have a balcony on the Sun Princess for 32 nights in April 2008 - just hubby and I goinf and leaving the kids at home. This is the first time we have had this luxury and only because we got a deal to good to refuse. Most of our fellow cruise aholics wld rather opt for an inside and hace 2 cruises a year than hae balociny and only afford 1. The choice is entirely up to what your pocket can afford

narelle

Here's a response from a Pom.....

I can see the arguments in favour of a balcony when at anchor somewhere in the Med, but I've found on our cruises that once the ship is moving there's a stiff breeze even across the sheltered Lido decks on the ships I've been on. And as for the english channel - that's pneumonia-inducing, even in summer!

I'm currently on the Diamond Princess, sailing down the coast of Mexico, and having a ball.

With regards to balconies, on all 3 cruises I have been on, I have been lucky enough to have a balcony. There was only a difference of $300 or so between an outside, and a middle range balcony category.

On the Diamond, we are on Aloha Deck (Deck 12), which is second highest passenger cabin deck. We have a view of the Mini-Suites below us, which I don't think I'd like that if I had paid that extra money.

Yesterday we ordered room service for 830am, and went and sat outside on the balcony and enjoyed breakfast. Trust me it is not cold outside!! It is about 28C now @ 10pm. Even in Alaska, I didn't find it overly cold out on the balcony. You can sit back, relax and enjoy the journey in peace and quiet.

As people have said, once you have a balcony, it is hard to go back to an outside or inside.

That's my two cents worth.

If you've never tried a balcony cabin you don't know what you're missing. Your breakfast served there at whatever time you like. Somewhere private to sunbathe and relax. Fresh air without having to get to an open deck. Watching the moonlight on the water and the stars with no intrusion from light pollution. Watching all the activity as you arrive and depart a port. Try it once and you will be hooked.

Have to agree - once you have a balcony it's hard to go back.Our first cruise was in a balcony suite on Pacific Princess as there was not much to choose from at last minute after our cruise on Pacific Star was cancelled.The cost was not that much more than a window cabin. If you are 'room people' (as we are) and enjoy breakfast and pre-dinner drinks and a quiet place to relax and read as well as sailing into port (in your dressing gown:p ) on your own private balcony, then this is the way to go. We didn't find it too windy either but this is also due to the design of the ship. We have booked a balcony again this year and will be trying an aft balcony on Sun Princess next year. I think it's true also that some people prefer to cruise more often and can afford do so in an inner cabin rather than pay for a balcony and cruise less. :)

I loved our balcony, the privacy and uninterupted view for one thing... nothing nicer than coming back from a port and chilling on your balcony with a glass of wine from the winebox - uk pando still allow bring on booze:) - and watching the port activity before sailaway. We were in the Canaries on Arcadia. I have a balcony again for the Med in June 07 so should be hot again - sailing to Rome,Barcelona, South of France, Sardina, Gib, and Pisa - can't wait.

Am going to try a inside cabin on Aurora at Christmas for a weekender cruise - just the 2 nights in winter - not much point in having a blacony then!

It's wonderful to wake up in the morning and go outside straight away to see whats going on!

Sue

Archived