Mobile phones

Tikibird

It really depends on how far out you get and how close you are to a major coastal center.

When i cruised in march, at one point we were straight out from coffs harbour pretty close to the coast and me, my uncle and my dad were sitting on one side of the ship comparing who had the best signal (3 different carriers) then if we went to the other side, we all lost our signals.

On my 3 night coastal cruise from Sydney, I had reception the whole time, in Australian waters though. And my phone only worked on parts of the ship. But on a cruise going out of Australian waters, it won't work and coming back into Sydney at early hours of the morning, it will work! Hope that helps!! :)

I was wondering about while the ship is cruising between Brisbane and Noumea, if it is close enough to the coast to pic up a signal. It would be much cheaper to send text messages to my friends than use the ship internet.

No, leaving Brisbane you'll loose reception once the ship turns out to sea off Point Cartwright on the Sunshine Coast (the ship heads north through the Pumicestone Passage on leaving the Brisbane River). Then, Unless you have global roaming, you won't have mobile phone reception from then until you come back in range of the coast on the final night of the cruise.

I think one of the best things about cruising is the fact that my mobile goes into a draw and I don't see it for the entire cruise!! Must admit that it's odd when they do start ringing again! In fact I tend to choose holidays (cruising, Norfolk Island) where my phone won't work so I can get away from work.

Just a word of warning to those not familiar with global roaming, check your call rates. Typically you will personally pay the cost from Australia to wherever you are regardless of whether you want to receive the call or not. I.E. someone calls you and they pay for the normal call cost as if you are at home, you then pay the cost of the call from Australia to wherever you are. These can quickly add up and it's annoying when you get a telemarketing call in New Zealand and know that you have paid for it...:o

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I am with telstra in Oz and will be away from the fam. for 28 days, would like to think I can ring and chat just incase I happen to be missing them....But will only have my phone on when I want to talk. Got caught while o/s last time with incoming calls-ended up costing me mega.

Archived