Door Decorating

hkolln

[quote name='dmk'][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]I have seen doors decorated on the Summit for Anniversaries and Birthdays. I would like to decorate our door on our next cruise for St. Patty's day. However, I can't remember how the door decorations on the Summit were applied.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080]Does anybody know if I can use magnets?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black]If you get the poster putty, you wont have to worry about it, it will stick to anything, but not mark it up after you remove it! :)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Ziggy7 and other positive fun-lovers,

After spending most of my life helping cheerleaders and dancers decorate lockers and doors, I fell in love with the idea of decorating our cabin door!

I have been gathering some really cute "Spuddy Buddy" posters - I work in the potato industry here in Idaho - and thought it would be cute to put something up that represents our state and life!

Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas.

After reading this board my friend and I decided that we'll decorate our door since its her first cruise and I still get turned around on ships. We got a banner that says rock 'n roll that has strips of music notes hanging from it. What should we use to hang that and our balloons? We'll be on the carnival Miracle.

On our 10/05 Hawaii RT cruise, we purchased cute little magnets showing different flowers from each island and put them on our door on Infinity. We learned the hard way, only put up what you won't mind if it disappears. Someone helped themselves to all our flowers ! Then we just started putting them inside. All Celebrity M Class ships have metal doors.

[quote name='westernmom']Ziggy7 and other positive fun-lovers,

After spending most of my life helping cheerleaders and dancers decorate lockers and doors, I fell in love with the idea of decorating our cabin door!

I have been gathering some really cute "Spuddy Buddy" posters - I work in the potato industry here in Idaho - and thought it would be cute to put something up that represents our state and life!

Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas.[/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black]That sounds adorable!!! Please take photo's and show us when[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black] you return please :)!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='golfnkitties']On our 10/05 Hawaii RT cruise, we purchased cute little magnets showing different flowers from each island and put them on our door on Infinity. We learned the hard way, only put up what you won't mind if it disappears. Someone helped themselves to all our flowers ! Then we just started putting them inside. All Celebrity M Class ships have metal doors.[/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black]Yes, it's a shame others must steal what others have! But look at the positive side! You prolly brightened someones day with your pretty flowers :)

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I will take pics! Being our first cruise, I will probably take pics of any and everything I can.

Have to tell you... Last year when my daughter's team was competing in Daytona at the national collegiate dance championships, I took one whole suitcase just for all of the door decorations! They had a dance around the theme of Chicago and so I decorated their doors like jail cells with dancers behind them. It worked out great because we spent time in Orlando and went shopping so had a suitcase to carry everything back in! Oh, by the way, they took second out of 180 teams!

I guess I better plan on decorating my son's door also.... he's a cowboy, so any western theme will work for him!

[quote name='westernmom']I will take pics! Being our first cruise, I will probably take pics of any and everything I can.

Have to tell you... Last year when my daughter's team was competing in Daytona at the national collegiate dance championships, I took one whole suitcase just for all of the door decorations! They had a dance around the theme of Chicago and so I decorated their doors like jail cells with dancers behind them. It worked out great because we spent time in Orlando and went shopping so had a suitcase to carry everything back in! Oh, by the way, they took second out of 180 teams!

I guess I better plan on decorating my son's door also.... he's a cowboy, so any western theme will work for him![/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=Black]Great I will be looking forward to seeing them all!

Congratulations to your daughter and her team! Wow, very impressive! Their winners in my book!!!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jewel of the Seas does have metal doors. It was the first time we’d seen door decorations (other than those the crew had put up for a Birthday or Anniversary). I have a few weeks before our next cruise. Thanks for the great ideas of ways to personalize our door.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] [/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS]We are sooooo looking forward to our next cruise . . . [/FONT][/I][/B]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Constellation Oct. ’06 – [COLOR=teal]11 [/COLOR]Western Caribbean[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – [/B][COLOR=teal]10[/COLOR][B]Panama Canal[/B][B][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – [COLOR=teal]10 [/COLOR]Bermuda and Caribbean[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Dawn Princess March '05 – [COLOR=teal]10 [/COLOR]Western Caribbean[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) – [COLOR=teal]7 [/COLOR]Eastern Caribbean[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Island Princess '03 – [COLOR=teal]10 [/COLOR]Panama Canal[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Star Princess '03 – [COLOR=teal]7 [/COLOR]Mexican Riveria[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Grand Princess '02 - [COLOR=teal]7[/COLOR] Western Caribbean[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Enchantment of the Seas '98 -[COLOR=teal] 7[/COLOR] Eastern Caribbean[/FONT]

[quote name='dmk'][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy]I have seen doors decorated on the Summit for Anniversaries and Birthdays. I would like to decorate our door on our next cruise for St. Patty's day. However, I can't remember how the door decorations on the Summit were applied.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000080]Does anybody know if I can use magnets?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]
Summit cabin number plate is set away from the door so you can hang something on it. This how I used it....

[url]http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=17429924805.912646514305.1142115838924&conn_speed=1[/url]

Every day we met someone new as they stopped to comment!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='EllieBB']We are allowed to decorate our door? We are going on a Carnival cruise. the Inspiration on 2/14/05.[/quote]

We sailed the Inspiration last November...LOVED IT!!!! We decorated our door with an 81/2x11 magnetic sign that we made asking our shipmates where they were from. We put post-its on the door and strung a pencil for them to use. We got over 100 responses (all pleasant). We brought a world map and every morning our kids would pinpoint where people were from. We all enjoyed reading the notes from everyone and included them in our vacation scrapbook.

[quote name='hkolln'] I just have to figure out how to attach a pen to it so nobody steals it! Either that or bring a big package of pens just in case LOL quote]

We used a cheapo automatic pencil that had a clip on it. We used a business card magnet (purchased at the office supply store) and string to affix it to the door. People could move it around and it didn't get stolen.

[quote name='Totally Addicted'][COLOR=teal]Hi!
Patti, did I understand you to say that the magnets will not stick to the doors very well? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!!!
Barbara:)
[/COLOR][/quote]

We have not had a problem with the magnets sticking.

We made a great picture on magnetic paper for our cabin door on the Inspiration! Helped with finding our cabin down that long hallway at the end of a LONG fun-filled day!

Took the picture with us on the Miracle- only to find nothing magnetic would stick to the cabin doors!! They had a little Mailbox thing outside each door- wish I would have brought a little something to decorate that!

Going on the Valor in November- anyone have info about the doors/mailbox on that ship??

Thanks!

Sue

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the magnetic printer paper will stick to the doors on the Miracle? Which do you think is better.... a poster with sticky tape or one of the magnetic? Also, I have heard suggestions that putting your name on your sign is dangerous. What do you all think????

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]I always sail Halloween week with a group of six of us - three couples. We decorate our cabins and our doors. (We always get three suites in a row.) It's funny because not only does it look cute and it's helpful when trying to figure out which way your heading late at night but by about the third or fourth day of the cruise other people will say 'oh, you’re the ones with the decorated doors.' We also like to put a little something out on our balconies - above the glass doors and the railings. That way when you are in port and take a picture of the ship our cabins stand out easily.

Also within our group of six for that week we have three birthdays and an anniversary so on top of the Halloween decorations we will bring balloons - which the ship will give you if you forget, and banners. It's a great week and all these things to celebrate really add to it all.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
I think the poster on the door where everyone can sign is such a cool idea. Can someone send me a sample of what something like this looks like - how big a piece of this magentic paper are we talking about. I am assuming that the magnetic paper sticks to the door on one side and can be written on on the other? Also, some writing ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=deepskyblue]Hello all,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#00bfff]didn't see a reply to an earlier question, and I have the same Q: has anyone brought along a string of little lights, and used them to decorate the balcony railing ?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#00bfff]we will be six couples going to Alaska in May 2007, and I thought decorating the balcony would be fun.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#00bfff]any comments, experiences with this?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#00bfff]Thanks,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#00bfff]Mary[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

• 3 weeks later...
Every ship we have sailed has metal doors. I'm pretty sure it's required in passenger ships to prevent a fire from spreading. HOWEVER, magnets do not stick to all metals so bringing along some tacky clay or sticky tape as a back up if you aren't sure would be a good idea.

We have fun decorating our cabin doors and usually pick a theme related to the itinerary, holiday ect. that we are sailing. On longer cruises we like to change the decorations out with new ones during the cruise. We took a 17 night Panama Canal cruise last year and started with a Caribbean reef scene because the first part of the cruise went to Curacao and Aruba, and changed to a rainforest scene for our transit through the canal and Costa Rica days, and changed again to a Mexican scene for our Mexican port days.

I've used window clings (the kind that just stick with water) with no problems. I just wet the door and stick the clings and smooth out with a dry washcloth. Room stewards love them because they leave no residue or marks on the doors when they are removed.

[quote name='Snapshot19']We have not had a problem with the magnets sticking.[/QUOTE]
We have used the Avery Printable Magnetic Sheets for every cruise for several years (about 6 cruises on Various RCL ships) and have never had a problem with them sticking...Our last cruise was on the Voyager and it's metal doors had waves (wrinkles) in it but the magnet sheet just conformed to the waves and stuck all week...Elsie

[quote name='Snapshot19']We have not had a problem with the magnets sticking.[/QUOTE]
We have used the Avery Printable Magnetic Sheets for every cruise for several years (about 6 cruises on Various RCL ships) and have never had a problem with them sticking...Our last cruise was on the Voyager and it's metal doors had waves (wrinkles) in it but the magnet sheet just conformed to the waves and stuck all week...Elsie

Archived