? About masks

dforeigner

I understand the difference between a one and a two-window scuba mask. Now, I found a three and a four-window mask. Why the difference? I am already aware that one should try a mask to make sure it seals properly before purchasing one. Which one would you recommend for snorkeling and taking underwater pictures?

For underwater photographing, I would HIGHLY reccommend a 1 or 2 pane mask with a black silicone skirt. The side windows, as well as a clear or colored skirt let light it and cause reflections. Imagine looking out a window at night with a light on inside your room. It's hard to see outside b/c of the glare. Turn off the light and you can see nice and clear. That's what it's like with a black skirt. I've got Mares X-Vision and it's great, but try on before you buy if possible. booth

There are actually two types of masks, one is a high volume mask usually used for scuba diving and a low profile or low volume mask that is slightly better suited for snorkling and also used for scuba diving. Find a mask with a good and comfortable fit it is your most important piece of equipment.

There are actually two types of masks, one is a high volume mask usually used for scuba diving and a low profile or low volume mask that is slightly better suited for snorkling and also used for scuba diving. Find a mask with a good and comfortable fit it is your most important piece of equipment.

I will do that, thanks.

Go with a low profile mask- not sure that a high volume mask is usually used for diving, in fact most divers I know use low profile as they require less effort to clear the water from.

I agree. The high volume ones usually leak due to the shape of my face. I always (while growing up) used the two window low profile ones. But needed some input with all this new technology development since my teen years. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Go with a low profile mask- not sure that a high volume mask is usually used for diving, in fact most divers I know use low profile as they require less effort to clear the water from.

New question under the same subject. When purchasing a mask, should one buy one with or without a purge system.

Having used both, I vote for no purge. Either way you'll have to tilt your head to purge the mask, and the purge valve just creates more volume. And if you consider things like this, the purge valve is an additional failure point of the mask.

Having used both, I vote for no purge. Either way you'll have to tilt your head to purge the mask, and the purge valve just creates more volume. And if you consider things like this, the purge valve is an additional failure point of the mask.

Fair enough, thanks.

Archived