Cartahegna, Columbia

hermang

Looks like both Celebrity and RCCL are dropping Limon, Costa Rica for Cartahegna Columbia in 2008 on the 10 night partial Panama Canal transit.

Of course they do not have any shorex posted as yet but one of the couples we were planning to join us ( We did this on the Brilliance in 2004 and loved Costa Rica) is thinking Columbia and Drugs and may be backing out.

They want to take the Panama Canal RR and a Train trip in CR which was one reason the were taking the trip ( we both love train rides).

Anyone been to Cartehegna and can recommend anything to do or do you think X and RCL may have second thoughts and put Limon back on the itinerary. I realize it is over a year away and anything can happen BUT just looking for someone else's take on this

Hello, hermang...We have been to Cartagena twice, years ago, and loved it. Methinks the cruise lines feel it is safe again, or they wouldn't put it back into the itineraries. We did the city tours. What a magnificent city with all it's history.

We are going on the Brilliance OTS in January of '08, and pray they don't change Cartagena for somewhere else. Would be very disappointed. Hope this helps.

Helen

I find this incredible. Maybe the cruise ships should not dock in LA because

there sure are drugs there. People get murdered in LA everyday.

Cartegena, while being a very safe city for tourists is also one of the

most beautiful and interesting cities in the Carribbean.

When we were there the last time on the Zenith, we hired a cab and

went all over the city.

I am pretty sure there is more crime against tourists in Limon then there is

in Cartegena.

I have not been to Cartahegna, and I don't have any problem visiting there, but I sure loved Limon and will be sorry to see it leave the schedule. Guess I'll just have to find an ideal price for an all-inclusive in Costa Rica and great air fare, all at the same time!

hermang - we're booked on the Infinity for April 2008 15 day Panama Canal and we have a stop in Cartagena and am REALLY looking forward to it, have done some research and Cartagena is a Beautiful Caribbean City with lots to do:D If your worried about drugs than you shouldn't be going to any ports as they all have there problems as well:D Drugs aren't an issue unless your looking for them:( :mad: and then they become an issue...here is a link that I've been using for Cartagena......enjoy and don't make your decision based on Drugs ???? www.cartagenainfo.net

I am very open minded - and even though Jamaica is a reputed drug haven we enjoy going there. I was interested in what they have besides city tours.

Some of the things I looked forward to in Limon were the Costa Rican Coffee - Yes I know Juan Valdez sells Columbian Coffee and while I like it - Costa Rican Coffee especially from Cafe Britt is what we drink these days - when we can't get Jamaica Blue Mountain at Ocho Rios prices.

Second is the train ride as I also mentioned and third is the Artisan Market at the pier in Limon.

Got some great rosewood trays and also very inexpensive and delicious coffee there too.

Other than city tours what is available???

So far neither RCCL or X is showing shore excursions.

I am very open minded - and even though Jamaica is a reputed drug haven we enjoy going there. I was interested in what they have besides city tours.

Some of the things I looked forward to in Limon were the Costa Rican Coffee - Yes I know Juan Valdez sells Columbian Coffee and while I like it - Costa Rican Coffee especially from Cafe Britt is what we drink these days - when we can't get Jamaica Blue Mountain at Ocho Rios prices.

Second is the train ride as I also mentioned and third is the Artisan Market at the pier in Limon.

Got some great rosewood trays and also very inexpensive and delicious coffee there too.

Other than city tours what is available???

So far neither RCCL or X is showing shore excursions.

No shore excursions, maybe because it is 2008. Too early.

As an American married to a Colombian/American, I feel safer walking the street of Cartagena then i do walking the street of some American cities. We own real estate in Cartagena, I will walk with my ipod in the mornings, and am not bothered or harrased by anyone.

I would suggest renting a taxi for the day for a private tour. This last summer we rented a mini van for 6 people for a guided full day tour for $40.00/US total.

Suggested highlights..

San Felipe Fort.. very historical, but alot of walking

La Popa.. the monastery overlooking the city

Plaza Bolivar.. very pretty area in the old city that has both the Gold Museum and the Museum of Inquisition, you will be able to find english speaking guides at both of these museums.

Las Bovedas.. in the old city, area for souvenir shopping

Pierino Gallo in Laguito has great prices for gold and emeralds

Chiva tour of the city, tour on open air bus

Boat ride to the Rosario Islands.. islands off the coast of Cartagena, crystal clear blue water and white sand beaches, great diving and snorkling.

Missed it to our disappointment on Summit a few years ago having been earlier on Ocean Princess. It's a historical gem of a port.

The peddlers are aggressive - like Jamaica or St. Lucia - but they have far more interesting goods. Emeralds at reputable jewelers (and hand done gold filagree) and leather goods are a good value.

La Popa monestary and the fortress are musts. The authorities security control the cabs allowed into the cruise terminal area so the place is safer in a lot of ways than, say Colon. The government has reportedly gotten greater control over a lot of the FARC rebel problems of the outer lying provinces and tourism from Europe mainly has taken off in the past year or so.

I'd return in a heartbeat.

Archived