Luggage question...

patwell

Has anyone carried the lightweight foldover garment bags onboard? I'm referring to the type one would carry formal wear in and not the bigger, more luggage type garment bags. This is more of a suit bag that is 52 inches long but folds in half. I'd prefer using this kind of thing for tux, sport jackets etc since they take up so much packing space, and heaven knows I need all of that I can get!! :rolleyes: I'm wondering if this would be allowed thru the scanners. We aren't flying so airline regulations aren't an issue...just wonder about the ship scanner. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Cheers, Penny

Has anyone carried the lightweight foldover garment bags onboard?

Penny - sorry, I haven't but I have seen them on the QE2 so you should be OK. My mother always goes with things that are too fragile to pack in a suitcase so she carries them aboard with no problem. If you try then you should be able to get the steward who shows you to the cabin to take it from you;)

Thanks, Malcolm...And who would that person carrying my excess carry-ons to my cabin be? I'd kind of figured it would be poor Steve since I got the impression that no one voluntarily does this for you. And here I've gone and memorized my route to Deck 11 when there might be someone to lead me there! :rolleyes:

I'm with your Mum...the good stuff stays with you...can you imagine having all your formal wear in the one suitcase that gets left behind? And your next port is in 3 days?:eek:

Cheers, Penny....who's trying very hard not to obsess over luggage....

agonizing over what's to go in them is bad enough;)

We carried such a thing on both times we've travelled on QE2, I have a bridal dress bag that I lay the evening gowns and jackets in, that zips up and folds in half. I don't recall any problems getting it through their scanner, and it was taken from my husband on embarkation by the person showing us to our cabin.

Who would that person carrying my excess carry-ons to my cabin be?

Sorry - I keep forgetting how inferior the QM is when compared to the QE - on the QE everyone is shown to their cabin!

Can you imagine having all your formal wear in the one suitcase that gets left behind? And your next port is in 3 days?:eek:

Who said anything about only taking one suitcase? If we're not flying then we'd take at least six for 16 days - That's just Paul and me, not including my parents!

Malcolm....That one suitcase I referred to being left behind was only one of the several I plan on dragging along, trust me. I was just worried that it would be the one suitcase that had the formal wear...thus the trusty garment bag that never leaves my hands!!

There's a scary thread on the HAL board from this poor lady who took an Alaska cruise. Unfortunately her luggage got loaded on another ship at the pier and that went to Hawaii!! Her lucky husband had his suitcase arrive in their cabin but all of her clothes went "aloha". Not a pretty story...:eek:

Annette...thanks for your reply. What you used sounds exactly like what I plan on taking. Now if only there would be someone there to take it, and me to my cabin...ooops, wrong Queen I guess;)

bobby1119...6 suitcases and assorted garment bags?? Sounds like what I'm anticipating for my one week Caribbean;)

Cheers, Penny

My question has nothing to do with how many suitcases I'll pack - but wondering if we use White Star to convey our luggage to the ship - Do they compensate us, should our baggage not be delivered?? Also, has anyone used the service when disembarking in New York - Does someone pickup the luggage from our stateroom for shipment to our home or??

Originally posted by bobby1119

What happens to empty suitcases during the full world cruise? Can they be stored somewhere outside the cabin?

QE2 has facilities, or at least she did last January when the World Cruisers joined her in New York. (We were on the micro-segment - staying on until Fort Lauderdale.) On our way to dinner that first night we enjoyed seeing foot lockers and steamer trunks in the corridors awaiting collection and (presumably) storage.

Archived