Country Inn & Suites at Houston Hobby

Cptnkirky

Anyone ever stayed at this hotel, about a mile from Hobby airport? We are staying there on friday night before our cruise. They have comp. taxi service to and from the hotel. We have more of our group coming in on Sat, which is why we are staying at the airport area, instead of near the port. We also have paid Princess transfers as well.

My questions to anyone who might know are:

1. If you have stayed here, or close, is there any restaurants within walking distance?

2. Are there any convienence stores close by that we can walk to get sodas/water?

3. Are there taxis waiting outside the airport, or do we have to call for one? And do all of them do the hotel complementary services?

We won't be getting in till after 9pm, so things would have to be open later.

Any other information would be helpful as well.

Thanks everyone!!!:p

The hotel is nice and it is close to I-45. There are convienance stores in the area but I would not be out walking around in that area at night. I grew up in that area and it has gotten somewhat dangerous to be walking around in after dark. I think the taxis service has a line near the airport and you have to call for one. I will be in that area in the next few days, so I will scout it out for you.

We stayed here in June '04. At that time there really wasn't anything of much close by. We had pizza delivered for dinner. They had us take a regular taxi from Hobby and they paid the fare. Taxis are ready and waiting outside of baggage claim.

There are stores north of the airport, but I wouldn't walk to them, or even go to them after dark! There is also a convenience store on Airport Blvd., just before you get to the Gulf Freeway headed to Galveston, but the Princess Bus probably won't stop!! You might look on one of the "yellow pages" websites to find a 7-11 or Circle K listing. Perhaps someone who still lives in the area (I moved several years ago) will reply, too. I had never heard of the "comp. taxis"--I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay the cabbie, get a receipt, and then be reimbursed.

Happy Cruising

I concur with DannyMac. The hotel is nice enough, but this area of Houston is not a place to be strolling after dark. I would also say "off the top of my head" that there are no restaurants very close to the hotel. There is a Denny's & a Taco Cabana about a mile away off of I-45 and a fast food(Bimpie's Subs) on the corner of Airport & Monroe. I think there is a sports bar and even a "gentlemen's" club nearby too.

I'm a part-time limo driver and I have picked up cruisers from this hotel and I have not heard any complains about the property.

Not a chamber of commerce part of Houston to say the least. I don't know where you could walk to eat or to provision (personally I wouldn't walk anywhere there at night) I hate to say its not safe, but its not. Why put yourself into a situation unnecessarily. Actually depending on when you arrive there are a few fast food places in Hobby airport that aren't too bad. Not gourmet, but at least the patrons have been scanned through a metal detector!

Considering the lack of amenities, dining etc, you might want to book with a different hotel.

There's a Hilton with full services, two restaurants for example, just one mile from HOU airport.:

http://reservations.internationalairportguide.com/hotel/10006381-10202728O.html

As others have mentioned, this is not a good area after dark.

There are other hotels nearby, but they all appear to lack extra amenities:

http://www.internationalairportguide.com/hotels/hobby_airport_hotels.html

Cptnkirky,

I have not had a chance to get over to check it out due to work schedule changing. check back from time to time, I might get over on Sunday.

Plan on ordering pizza or fast food. Like I said, the area is dangerous after dark for people walking around.

Archived