I now understand why there is dress code confusion

Luckybee

As far as women's apparel goes, what is a pant suit? Is that basically a female version of a business suit, dress pants w/ jacket ensemble? (What I used to wear during court appearances as a lawyer). Or is it just nicer dress pants with a coordinating top or sweater set. Not trying to be silly or beat a dead horse here--- just wondering since the "pantsuit" is not a term I hear bantered about at my local Ann Taylor/Talbots stores. I am currently packing for Bermuda and have to be selective at this point.

Betty4, I don't think that is a dumb question at all. When we pack we like to pack the minimum. I use my travel knits for informal nights. They are perfect and take up a small amount of suitcase space. I have not seen too many people wear a traditional pants suit. This is why the dress code confusion is so irritating. The only time I saw anyone enforce a dress code was on the Carnival Glory. This came from the captain who said he would not allow anyone into the dining room in the evening with shorts. Outside of that, no other cruise line seemed to care what anyone was wearing. We told our friends that a good rule to follow was just to make sure to not wear what they tell you is not acceptable in the ticket book.

As far as women's apparel goes, what is a pant suit? Is that basically a female version of a business suit, dress pants w/ jacket ensemble? (What I used to wear during court appearances as a lawyer). Or is it just nicer dress pants with a coordinating top or sweater set. Not trying to be silly or beat a dead horse here--- just wondering since the "pantsuit" is not a term I hear bantered about at my local Ann Taylor/Talbots stores. I am currently packing for Bermuda and have to be selective at this point.

Hi Betty4...

Please forgive my antiquated language...but you certainly did get the meaning of "pantsuit." Any well tailored pant (not too dressy) with coordinated jacket or top.

You will look terrific in Bermuda, I'm sure....have a wonderful time.

Growing up if my mom wore a pantsuit it was a one piece thing, kinda like an alternative to a dress. I guess for men they are called jumpsuits, or flightsuits.....

I was under the impression that it had more to do with that Charlies Angels 1970's wardrobe.......

Just like the wording 'Informal'...I don't equate it with casual as many do... and for me to call it 'Smart Casual" or Semi-formal doesn't sound right to me.

I guess it it all depends on your age, and where you grew up.

Dave:eek:

Growing up if my mom wore a pantsuit it was a one piece thing, kinda like an alternative to a dress. I guess for men they are called jumpsuits, or flightsuits.....

I was under the impression that it had more to do with that Charlies Angels 1970's wardrobe.......

Just like the wording 'Informal'...I don't equate it with casual as many do... and for me to call it 'Smart Casual" or Semi-formal doesn't sound right to me.

I guess it it all depends on your age, and where you grew up.

And for me, "formal" DEFINITELY means a tux. A suit (dark or not) is simply not formal! That's why I try to pay more attention to the description of what is expected rather than simply to the words "formal", "informal", and "casual".

For me formal is either my tux or dinner jacket; Informal is always a blazer, tie and dress slacks ( or a dark suit on occasion); and casual is dockers and a hawaiian, polo or sport shirt.

I alway try to buy the more 'traditional' cuts of clothing so they are always in style.........Of course I kinda feel like Amalda Marcos with her shoes....Except my vice is Cufflinks and Silk Ties :D .

But I guess that after cruising many times I have my standard cruise wardrobe...and packing is second nature.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Luckylady 4 - Celebrity actually uses the term "pantsuit" in its dress code description - so if anyone needs to update their "fashion vocabulary" it's the policy writers who have caused all this confusion. In any event, I'm now thinking the Farrah Fawcett jumpsuit look described by Bububr might just be the way to go. Hmmmmm. That oughta bring the fashion police out of hiding!

Suffice it to say that you are expected to wear resortwear- polo shirts or nice button down shirts and slacks for men (every night other than formal night). Women wear nice dresses, skirts, pant suits, or capris every night except formal night. Just think of what you would wear to an elegant restaurant with tableclothes and waiters in tuxes. Jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc. would be out of place.

Certainly if a Celebrity rep gave wrong information, that is a problem. However, I maintain that the intent of the dress code is perfectly clear, and is laid out on the website, the brochures, and in the daily newsletter once aboard. I have seen no significant inconsistencies among these sources. They tell you how many Formal, Informal, and Casual nights there will be (I don't know where the "Smart Casual" term even came up, as it's not a term Celebrity uses) and what the appropriate dress is for those three categories. Given how clear they make it, I'm confused as to why someone would need to even call a Celebrity rep to ask the question. HOWEVER, given that they did so, they should have gotten a consistent and correct answer...

Well first of all, I dont have the brochures. Secondly, we booked through Celebrity directly, and when I make a booking with a company directly whether it be X, the Four Seasons, Singapore Air, etc etc. I do so because I prefer to get up to date info directly from the horse's mouth(so to speak :) . I refuse to rely on web site info solely without confirmation since for many large corporations it becomes stale dated quite often. If you travel frequently, as we do, you would agree with me that one would rely solely on a webisite at their own peril.

We have never travelled on X before, only on Radisson(now Regent). The term "smart casual" came out of the mouth of the Celebrity rep during the 1st of 3 phone calls, then was reaffirmed during my 2nd call. I have no idea if is is or isnt the "normal" term used by X. But it sure as heck IS a term used by X since I heard it twice...lol. Now I recently read on here that Royal Carib, owns Celebrity? Could they be using the same telephone reps, and would that explain the difference in terms?

Suffice it to say that you are expected to wear resortwear- polo shirts or nice button down shirts and slacks for men (every night other than formal night OR INFORMAL NIGHT). Women wear nice dresses, skirts, pant suits, or capris every night except formal night. Just think of what you would wear to an elegant restaurant with tableclothes and waiters in tuxes. Jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc. would be out of place.

On informal night, men are specifically asked to wear a tie and a jacket. Slacks and a polo would be inappropriate.

Hi Luckybee!

Which cruise will you be on in April? We will be cruising the Century on the April 16th sailing.:)

We're getting on just as you get off. April 21 for us and we're booked in RS1040. Perhaps we can wave at each other as we arrive and depart :D

Well first of all, I dont have the brochures. Secondly, we booked through Celebrity directly, and when I make a booking with a company directly whether it be X, the Four Seasons, Singapore Air, etc etc. I do so because I prefer to get up to date info directly from the horse's mouth(so to speak :) . I refuse to rely on web site info solely without confirmation since for many large corporations it becomes stale dated quite often. If you travel frequently, as we do, you would agree with me that one would rely solely on a webisite at their own peril.

We have never travelled on X before, only on Radisson(now Regent). The term "smart casual" came out of the mouth of the Celebrity rep during the 1st of 3 phone calls, then was reaffirmed during my 2nd call. I have no idea if is is or isnt the "normal" term used by X. But it sure as heck IS a term used by X since I heard it twice...lol. Now I recently read on here that Royal Carib, owns Celebrity? Could they be using the same telephone reps, and would that explain the difference in terms?

You've probably come to the right conclusion. If they have the same people manning the phone lines for Celebrity and for Royal Caribbean, it's not surprising that confusion would result! That's some really bad management!

On informal night, men are specifically asked to wear a tie and a jacket. Slacks and a polo would be inappropriate.
Drew,

I agree that slacks and a polo would be inappropriate, I disagree that a tie is necessary on informal nights. My reading of your message is that a tie is required on informal nights. You're correct in the sense that the web site and the cruise docs expressly mention a jacket and a tie for informal nights but the web site and the cruise docs also say that the shipboard daily program will be the guide to appropriate evening wear. So, in effect, the daily program's requirements are the real dress code.

Since the beginning of 2005, the shipboard daily programs have done away with the requirement of a tie on informal nights and now only require a jacket and slacks for men. This is the minimum dress code requirement for informal nights and while there is obviously nothing wrong with wearing a tie, it might help lessen some of the confusion about dress codes if extra requirements were not added to the minimum dress code. :D

I think Celebrity would go a long way to clearing up dress code confusion if it would make the web site and cruise docs consistent with the daily program dress code and changed some of the ambiguous terms used in the dress code. It would also help if CS reps were properly trained regarding the dress code.

I certainly hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. That was not my intention. I just believe that accurate information about the dress code will result in a better compliance rate than someone's personal dress code based on upbringing or past cruises. As Lenny Bruce once said, "you have to deal with what is, not what should be."

Drew,

I agree that slacks and a polo would be inappropriate, I disagree that a tie is necessary on informal nights. My reading of your message is that a tie is required on informal nights. You're correct in the sense that the web site and the cruise docs expressly mention a jacket and a tie for informal nights but the web site and the cruise docs also say that the shipboard daily program will be the guide to appropriate evening wear. So, in effect, the daily program's requirements are the real dress code.

Since the beginning of 2005, the shipboard daily programs have done away with the requirement of a tie on informal nights and now only require a jacket and slacks for men. This is the minimum dress code requirement for informal nights and while there is obviously nothing wrong with wearing a tie, it might help lessen some of the confusion about dress codes if extra requirements were not added to the minimum dress code. :D

I think Celebrity would go a long way to clearing up dress code confusion if it would make the web site and cruise docs consistent with the daily program dress code and changed some of the ambiguous terms used in the dress code. It would also help if CS reps were properly trained regarding the dress code.

I certainly hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. That was not my intention. I just believe that accurate information about the dress code will result in a better compliance rate than someone's personal dress code based on upbringing or past cruises. As Lenny Bruce once said, "you have to deal with what is, not what should be."

I apologize. I didn't know their was a difference between what it said in the daily newsletter and the brochure/website. I thought that they ALL said that jacket and tie were required. I will have to pull out my daily newsletter and check...

And trust me, this has nothing to do with my personal dress codes. I would be MUCH happier not wearing a tie on informal night. I only did so because I believed it was expected.

Thirty something CC regulars are on and posting from the Zaandam. Today's tidbit included the confusion with attire in the DR. Program specified informal, the DR said formal and the 1:00PM Bridge report specified, what else, casual.

It seems none of the cruise lines can decide what they want to be, when they grow up.

Thirty something CC regulars are on and posting from the Zaandam. Today's tidbit included the confusion with attire in the DR. Program specified informal, the DR said formal and the 1:00PM Bridge report specified, what else, casual.

It seems none of the cruise lines can decide what they want to be, when they grow up.

That's hysterical.:D

By the way, just a word on the "informal alternate dining" on the Mercury. From reading about it on the website and in the daily paper in the cabin, it seemed like this was a standard option. In practice, at least on our cruise, it was a little haphazard. We made a reservation, and were greeted and seated and given the speech about the mininal charge that could be paid in cash or charged to our account. After that we waited for at least twenty minutes before we saw a waiter (there were only about half a dozen other tables occupied). Finally a waiter showed up and asked if anyone had taken our order. When we said no, he said "Well, I guess I might as well do it". :rolleyes: The food arrived fairly soon after that, delivered by another waiter, and eventually another waiter brought around a dessert tray. The food was all quite good fortunately. After dessert we hung around for another half hour or so and never saw another waiter. Finally we just put some money on the table and left. It wasn't a bad experience (quite relaxing, actually), just a bit unexpected.

Archived