Avalon Tapestry - Romantic Rhine

gb88

Has anyone been on the Tapestry for their Romantic Rhine cruise? Just wondering about your experience and the quality of the ship, its crew, the food? My cruising experience is strictly on the bigger ships, mostly Holland America. We felt that they took pride in caring for their passengers.

We are booked on the Tapestry for the Romantic Rhine Cruise from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam beginning November 5,2006. We booked this trip based on our cruise with the Avalon Poetry on the Danube in October, 2005. We hope our trip this year will be as enjoyable as last year's cruise.

We will post a review upon our return.

We are booked on the Tapestry for the Romantic Rhine Cruise from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam beginning November 5,2006. We booked this trip based on our experience with the Avalon Poetry on the Danube in October, 2005. We hope our trip this year will be as enjoyable as last year's cruise.

We will post a reveiw upon our return

Vaguy and GB88: looks like you folks will be replacing my wife and I and our other traveling couple on the Tapestry. We are sailing on Oct 22 on the Rhine and Mosel cruise Amsterdam to Trier then on to Basil arriving on Nov 5. There were other choices for this itinarery, ie Uniworld and Viking, but we chose Avalon based on the great cruise we did with them, Budapest to Amsterdam , in 2005 on the Poetry. Based on our last cruise you can look forward to excellent service and a competent cruise director. The food was good to excellent, and seconds were offered at each dinner as well as freely poured wine throughout the dinner meal. Have all doc's in hand and looking forward to a fine cruise. Hope you guys have the same

Big Kahuna:

Have no fears, breakfast is from 7:00 till 8:30, so as much as I remember no shore excursions began earlier than 8:30, on the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. Excursions require a fair amount of walking on cobblestoned streets, be prepared to walk between 3 and 6 miles a day if you take all the excursions and explore on your own. My wife and I are in our mid sixties and in pretty good shape, and we found it difficult to stay up past 10:00pm after a day of touring. So if your up at 6:00 , Breakfast at 7:00 you'll have your 8 hours and be ready to rock and roll the rest of the day.

Dear DeeGee:

I envy your sailing so soon. Our trip is not until next August 2007, although we already have our reservations. I am just collecting information about this trip and what to expect on the ship. Thank you for the positive review of your previous experience. Hope you have a wonderful trip! GB88

• 2 weeks later...

Hey VAGUY:

We'll be on the same cruise! If it's not too personal to inquire, how old are you and your spouse? Are you flying into Zurich on the 5th? We're flying Icelandair into Frankfurt and taking a train down to Basel. It's not the simplest means but I really wanted to fly Icelandair to break up the flight. Was hoping to get an overnight in Iceland (we were just there for 8 1/2 days in August and LOVED it) to maybe see the Northern Lights, but they don't fly out of BWI on Friday so we're leaving Saturday night instead. We're obviously not too far from you. I imagine you're leaving from Dulles, yes?

:) Well, we amuse ourselves by reading pamphlets about Medicare/Medicade which is coming up next year. We are flying out of Dulles this Thursday night arriving in Zurich on Friday, November 3. This will be our first visit to Zurich and will give us a couple of days to sightsee. We have not been to Iceland and would enjoy hearing about your experience there.

Just looked at the weather forecast for Zurich - mid 40's during the day and about 30 at night. Guess I better throw in that extra sweater.

Well, gotta start packing.

See ya !!!

Hi!

LOL! Well, in that case, you'll recognize us as possibly the only people on the boat who still have a long way to go before retiring or getting Medicare. :D You can see my full Iceland trip report (beware it's long but it is broken into sections) and some pics here ... http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/147964256.

Have a safe flight and maybe we'll run into you on the boat!

fuzzlekins,

I'll combine my response to your post here and from the other thread. We also are on this same trip ! Yes, there "usually" are some people under 50 (including myself), although the majority are older. We generally act (and think we are) much younger though. We took a Uniworld cruise last year that had quite a few under 50 people. With only a few exceptions, most everyone was laid back and not stuffy. The ones that were you could point out immediately.

We are usually fairly quiet and shy also, but on Uniworld there was only one 2 person table which the same woman and her mother always claimed. But we expected this and we did very much enjoy talking with everyone we met and keep in contact with one of the younger couples. We sat with a variety of people including an 86 year old and his sister and had a great time with them ! They were one of our favorites. We also are generally independant and go our own way once on shore, depending on the excursion.

This will be our first time on Avalon, but our experience on Uniworld was that most everyone dressed very casually. I would leave your dress, tie, etc. at home. I know every cruise is different, but casual is just fine on the river cruises (except for Deilmann). We had people in jeans and slacks. If it is cool, my DH wears a shirt and sweater. He does not take a sport coat. And we didn't have anyone on our last cruise in a dress. For dinner, I wear slacks or dress khakis and flat heel shoes with a sweater or blouse. Many times the excursions get back late in the day and many people ended up just wearing what they had worn all day.

We are flying into Zurich on Sat. 11/4 and taking the train on to Basel and spending the night there. Then we will take a cab to the ship at check-in time.

We'll probably be able to figure out who you are !

Hi Hobse,

Good to know! We thought a river cruise would be a little dressier for dinner than an ocean cruise, so I'm glad to hear that's not the case. It's not that we hate dressing up, but it's nice to know that it's not required at least. Looking forward to meeting you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

VAGUY:

It was lovely to meet you and your wife last week. Hope you made it home safely. I'm happy to report that we (and our luggage) made it home safely although we very nearly missed another connection! We weren't ready to leave the boat and especially Germany, but it is nice to be home. :)

hobse:

Not sure whether we met you or not. Did you figure out who we were? There was another couple younger than us on the boat so I'm thinking you may not have been able to easily pick us out, but you'll easily be able to recall us when I tell you this ... we were the ones whose luggage was lost. Seemed that EVERYONE knew about that! LOL Hope you had as good of a time as we did!

• 11 months later...
Has anyone been on the Tapestry for their Romantic Rhine cruise? Just wondering about your experience and the quality of the ship, its crew, the food? My cruising experience is strictly on the bigger ships, mostly Holland America. We felt that they took pride in caring for their passengers.

Did you ever take a cruise on the Avalon Tapestry. We are booked to cruise September 2008.

We are booked on the Tapestry for the Romantic Rhine Cruise from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam beginning November 5,2006. We booked this trip based on our cruise with the Avalon Poetry on the Danube in October, 2005. We hope our trip this year will be as enjoyable as last year's cruise.

We will post a review upon our return.

How was your cruise on the Avalon Tapestry? We are booked to cruise next September 2008.

How was your cruise on the Avalon Tapestry? We are booked to cruise next September 2008.

Hi funtrip traveler. Which of the September cruise are you booked on? We are booked on the Basel - Amsterdam 7th Sept.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi happycruizer. Husband and I are looking forward to the cruise. We will probably be one of the few 'young' ones on board, so will not be hard to spot us. Which cat. cabins have you chosen? We are now in the process of booking our flights, lots of fun!

Definitely hope to meet you on board.

Hey again vb527. We are booked in Cat. P. Friends wanted to make sure they had windows/doors that would open and Cat. P was only $50 more than mid-deck. We are in the "late 50's/early to mid 60'd" age group. We will probably wait until Jan. to start looking at flights so we'll have time to decide how many days early we want to arrive.

Hi happycruizer. That's quite lucky to only have to pay $50 more than the middle deck. We're booked on Cat B. We're not too fuss, as long as we have a big sliding door/window and not a port hole, I'll be ok. Hopefully we'll get a cabin around the middle of the boat.

Hi happycruizer. That's quite lucky to only have to pay $50 more than the middle deck. We're booked on Cat B. We're not too fuss, as long as we have a big sliding door/window and not a port hole, I'll be ok. Hopefully we'll get a cabin around the middle of the boat.

Our TA(affordabletours) was able to book our requested cabin a year in advance. We also wanted a cabin in the middle of the ship and we were able to reserve it with no problem on the Avalon Tranquility this July for our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise.

Hello. Yes I was surprised at being able to upgrade for so little. Don't know how it was figured but I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Our cabins were requested/assigned when we booked. I am prone to motion sickness & wanted to be sure I was mid-ship. However I doubt motion sickness would be a great concern on a river cruise.:rolleyes:

Archived