Land sailing in Bonaire

ukbballfan

Anyone ever tried this either on your own or with the ship? Is it easy to get the hang of? I've tried to email the company thats does it but they haven't returned my email...probably because they have a contract with Princess to do the ships tour of this.

My husband and I are also interested in land sailing. I sent an email today to the company too and haven't gotten a response. I'm wondering how far they are from where the ships dock. Hopefully someone will give us some information or the company will email us back. Booking directly with the company is 1/2 the price per person than booking through the cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a response from the company.

My question to them was:

Can you tell me how far your location is from the pier that the cruise ships dock at? Or do you offer any packages that offer transportation to/from the pier?

Response:

We are about a 10 minute drive from the pier, by car. (We are located on the main road towards the other "town" Rincon.) We offer our tour with the island tour operator Bonaire tours, they will pick you up at the pier and bring you to the track. When you decide to do that you have to book that thru the cruise-line. If you are planning to rent a car you can come to the track on your own.

I then asked:

Can you tell me if there are taxi’s at the pier that could bring us to your location?

Response:

There will be plenty of taxi's at the pier to bring you to the track.They will charge between $5 and $10 per person. Depending on how many people you are with, maybe it's cheaper to rent a car. You can always have a look at budget car rental Bonaire to see what they offer for a day. Hope to see you on the track to sail with us!

• 1 month later...

We would like to try the land sailing in Bonaire but don't want to pay the price princess offers. Someone mentioned in a post that if the company has a contract with the cruise line you must book thru them. What's to stop you going to the location on your own and saving more than half the price!!! :rolleyes:

Keener

Thats what I'm still debating. Thinking of renting a 2 seater scooter ($24)and going on my own. I've been trying to find info on the driving conditions on Bonaire. My concern with cancelling my ship tour and doing it on my own was getting out there and finding out they were full for the day as the ships tour has filled up quickly for our cruise. The ships tours are only taking 10 at a time, with 4 different tour times offered, so I am concerned about the number of Blo-carts they have available.

:)

Keener

Thats what I'm still debating. Thinking of renting a 2 seater scooter ($24)and going on my own. I've been trying to find info on the driving conditions on Bonaire. My concern with cancelling my ship tour and doing it on my own was getting out there and finding out they were full for the day as the ships tour has filled up quickly for our cruise. The ships tours are only taking 10 at a time, with 4 different tour times offered, so I am concerned about the number of Blo-carts they have available.

I found an alternative to Bonaire. I don't know if you'll be going to Aruba but they offer this same sport. The company will pick you up at the cruise ship and return you, cost is $60.00 pp for about 2.5hrs. We're going this route, don't want to take our chances in Bonaire.:)

Can anyone give me a website to check out what this is exactly. It sounds interesting, but not sure what a blo-Kart is.

Thanks!

Here's a site in aruba that we're considering for land sailing, looks like it will be a blast!

http://www.aruba-active-vacations.com/landsail.html

Bonaire also offers this sport but we're unsure whether we can independently book ourselves because Princess has a contract with them(tour operator).

Cyndee:)

Just got back from bonaire.dec 2006

i had contacted the website about information and they responded about getting there and i told them 6 of us were going and made what i THOUGHT was a reservation with them on a specific day!

DO NOT BOOK THIS ON YOUR OWN!!!! princess rents out ALL the blo-karts for the day! The company only owns 8 blo-karts presently.(JUST WISH THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD US!! from reading the website...seems like you can book this on your own and spend a few hours and they give prices etc)

Getting a taxi to this place was a nightmare. Took us 45 minutes to FINALLY find someone who knew where it was(in the middle of NOWHERE) and when we finally arrived..the woman said "we have 1 blo-kart available" i said Do you remember my email and reservation?" She said" i vaguely recall it! Im sorry. In about 2-4 months we should have more available for independent rentals!"

I have to say...it really did look like fun! Next time hopefully...

So after a $45 dollar cab ride to see some cactus and 2 goats, we sadly returned to the ship! Walked over to plaza resorts and snorkeled (great consolation though) There were A LOT of colorful fish! :D

*sweet*

We just got back from our cruise and booked this through the ship. It was absolutely a blast! It wasn't hard to do and it was so much fun. As noted above, the ship books all blo-karts so you can not do this excursion on your own.

Here's a site in aruba that we're considering for land sailing, looks like it will be a blast!

http://www.aruba-active-vacations.com/landsail.html

Bonaire also offers this sport but we're unsure whether we can independently book ourselves because Princess has a contract with them(tour operator).

Cyndee:)

Thanks Cyndee. I understand it now. Looks like fun.

• 2 weeks later...

You get about 50 minutes on the blo-carts. The tour will meet you at the pier and drive you out to the track. It’s about a 20-minute drive. You'll get some instructions and then off you go. They are really simply to use if you follow the instructions that they give you. A few people flipped their carts, but as long as you keep your hands and feet inside there is really no way to get hurt.

Also, if you give you camera to the guy that runs the carts, he'll take pictures for you.

Archived