NCL and Refunds or upgrades

gkrebs

Folks,

I hope you NCL cruisers can help me. Can anyone tell me how NCL handles reductions in cruise price after final payment. Do they refund the difference or do they do an upgrade if the TA fights for you?

Thanks a bunch ahead of time

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Sun, the price of our inside stateroom never dropped. However, the price of the BA balcony room dropped to the same price as our inside stateroom. I just happened to see the lower price on the internet, contacted my travel agent, and they upgraded us without any problem. There was an additional $40 pp charge for the 3rd and 4th people in the room, but I was more than happy to upgrade for $80 :D . The lower price only showed up on-line for about 48 hours.

If you went through a TA, I would definitely recommend contacting them and see what NCL will do.

We wern't lucky getting either a refund or upgrade on the Norwegian Crown. Booked in Feb and prices dropped in June after final payment. We tried with reservations and also the upgrade dept. We wanted to move to an outside cabin from our inside which was advertised as $10pp cost difference. NCL wanted us to pay $100pp to do an outside guarantee..we have teen boys in the cabin next to us so didn't want to do the guarantee... so for us it was a brick wall. I still think that cruisers who put the $$ down months ahead should have some type of price protection, either shipboard credit or upgrade given. From my point of view, the few cruisers who track those prices and request the upgrade/shipboard credit would pay off in future cruise good will..It will be a factor in our choosing a cruise in the future. Will be more likely to wait til after the 60 days prior to sailing to see if we can get the bargain fare not available before then.

Good luck, our TA did go to bat for us but was not successful.

Chris Mitchell

Our TA was great and fought hard for us. We were booked on the America a week before she sank. When they moved us to the Aloha, she fought for us and was able to keep our same cabin level (balcony) at the same price when others were being downgraded and charged more. She also was able to get each of our two cabins an onboard credit and a coupon book from NCL. (the coupon book ended up being useless because those on ship refused to honor it for a variety of always changing reasons.)

I think what you get has a lot to do with what your TA is willing to do for you and hard hard they are willing to work.

Our TA was great and fought hard for us. We were booked on the America a week before she sank. When they moved us to the Aloha, she fought for us and was able to keep our same cabin level (balcony) at the same price when others were being downgraded and charged more. She also was able to get each of our two cabins an onboard credit and a coupon book from NCL. (the coupon book ended up being useless because those on ship refused to honor it for a variety of always changing reasons.)

I think what you get has a lot to do with what your TA is willing to do for you and hard hard they are willing to work.

You mentioned you received an on-board credit from NCL for the re-booking fiasco. Were you told this was because of the re-booking fiasco? My TA says NCL will do nothing. Interesting. And they are a BIG cruise-only agency. Please let me know. My email is: acerbobg@hotmail.com Bob

CoasterBob: Our TA told us that the $100 per person on board credit we got from NCL was for the hassles that we had gone through. I assumed that was for the re-book. When we arrived, there were two vouchers in each of our cabins for $100. ($200 per cabin) We signed the vouchers and turned them into the reception desk and there was a $200 credit on our bill when it came.

Hope this helps.

CoasterBob: Our TA told us that the $100 per person on board credit we got from NCL was for the hassles that we had gone through. I assumed that was for the re-book. When we arrived, there were two vouchers in each of our cabins for $100. ($200 per cabin) We signed the vouchers and turned them into the reception desk and there was a $200 credit on our bill when it came.

Hope this helps.

Do you mind telling me the name of your TA? You can email me if you want. http://www.acerbobg@hotmail.com Thanks, Bob

POA 9/5/2004

Our TA told us that the $100 per person on board credit we got from NCL was for the hassles that we had gone through. I assumed that was for the re-book. When we arrived, there were two vouchers in each of our cabins for $100. ($200 per cabin) We signed the vouchers and turned them into the reception desk and there was a $200 credit on our bill when it came.

We haven't heard of that either. You said you weren't downgraded in category. There used to be an NCL chart of what you could expect as compensation if your America - Aloha bookings didn't really gel.

Any particular type of hassle other that just PoAmerica sinking? That was, I believe, in January 2004. We have been booked since May 2003. (Think I'll have a chat with my TA ...)

My mother and I are traveling with a group... the price we paid for an inside regular is now well more than an outside superior is running... when I called the TA she told me about all the "extras" we're getting as a group, but when I asked how much more it would be to upgrade to an outside as I'm afraid I'm going to be claustrophobic, she said she'd see what she could do, and she got us a free upgrade to an outside regular/partially obstructed view on an upper deck (I'm also nervous about being low down in the ship, which apparently is actually better... live and learn!) I think we've over paid for this cruise, but since we're newbies it's probably a good thing that we're with a group and it's not that huge a difference... would have been nice to have a bigger cabin but whatever...

The TA was really nice about it, but I did feel I was asking for something out of the ordinary, and that this wasn't something that was "polite" to ask for...:o

We just found out about our credit about two weeks before we sailed. Like I said, she said is was for "the hassles" that we had gone through. Now this was months after the re-book, but I can't think of any other "hassles" that we went through!

We booked two balcony cabins and we got two balcony cabins. Same catagory I am pretty sure....BB.

Archived