Renting a car in port

Lounur

We're cruising on the Norwegian Wind Nov 8-18. I've seen several postings suggesting renting a car and touring on your own but I have a few questions. 1) How do you pick up the car in the following ports: Hilo, Maui, Kona? 2) Are there shuttles available? If so which car rental agencies have you found to be most reliable? At which ports? How do you make the arrangements? 3) Is it time efficient to expect to rent a car, travel to the Volcano National Park, see the sites and go to the Botanical Gardens if we're docked in Hilo from 9:30A-4P 4) What day trips would you suggest for Kona and Maui (we'll be at Maui until late) assuming we rent a car? 5) If we don't rent a car, are there any independent tour/activity providers that are easy to access from the port? I appreciate any info/suggestion you can provide.

Based on other CC posts we signed up for Thrifty Blue Chip, used a corporate code (from previous posts) and booked on-line with Thrifty.com Then I called their Hawaii # 800-367-5238 to let them know we were at a ship pier instead of airport. They have shuttle service at each port to the airport and back to ship on return. Easy and very reasonably priced, around $35 day. We are doing one excursion with NCL (Capt Zodiac at Kona, and it is pricey!!!!). I think a car will be great.

Definitely book your cars in advance!! The rental shuttles were all packed with cruisers with no reservations. You will waste precious time waiting in line to book your car and they will be more pricier! and you may not get the size and type you want.

For me, i rented through Thrifty, with corp discount and signed up for blue chip. They always assist the Blue Chip customers first.

On my rental confirmation, it says that the shuttle arrives an hour after the ship docks or arrives in port, but usually they come by earlier than that.

I had to wait 45 minutes in Honolulu for the shuttle, but it may not always be that way. I cant speak for the other rental companies because i only used thrifty and i will do it again next time too!

have fun

Archived