Randi's - Can't find the answer to this question

southwestgal

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Mazatlan on March 28th (Diamond Princess) and Randi's sounds like a great time. I was on her website and it says pickup at 8:30am and return at 2pm. I've searched the threads and checked her website, but can't find information detailing the day. For example, how long does it take to get from the pickup location to her location? Is it by bus, taxi, boat? How much time is actually spent riding? Can you really ride the horses through the surf (not deep - just where the waves lap the beach)? Is the visit to Victors part of the day or does it extend past 2pm if you want to go there? It appears that any items ordered at Victors are the individual's responsibility, which is fine, just want to confirm.

My husband and I are traveling with his two sisters and their husbands. Normally, I wouldn't ask so many questions, but if I recommend something to them then I want to make sure it is the right excursion for them. My husband and I are going anyway because I have always wanted to ride a horse on the beach!

If you've read this far, I have a couple of more questions. On the Princess Excursions they have "Hideaway at Las Caletas". Anyone have any information on that? One of the sisters is interested. The other is Yelapa & Majahuitas Princess Excursion. Any info. on that one? Both are in Puerta Vallarta.

Thanks in advance for your information and time spent responding! I really appreciate your help.

We did Randi's Happy Horses in August. We got off the boat, walked through vendors and found her (everyone there knows her) and once everyone was there she took us in a tram to the water taxi, we took the water taxi to Stone Island, then another vehicle to where the horses are. You meet Randi's helpers and they help you pick your horse. You ride the horses for about an hour, hour and a half, ending up on the beach (I'm not sure how much beach you traverse). Randi goes ahead to Victors and waits for you. You end up at Victors outdoor restaurant right on the sand and just relax there until it's time to go, Randi buys a round of beers (and chips/salsa) and you can order whatever for lunch (you have to pay for your own lunch). I didn't actually ride the horses my son did and my husband and I just went ahead with Randi to Victor's and waited with her. I loved the beach it is so uncrowded and the restaurant is right there with a chaise lounge and palapa and the water was so warm with gentle waves and you could walk out very far. It was sooo relaxing. The restaurant's bathroom and shower are a bit "rustic" but clean. They had boogie boards you could use for free. After lunch my son and I and some of the others took a banana boat ride, that was fun too. It started getting crowded just as we were leaving to go back to the ship. PS feel free to email Randi she will answer any questions promptly.

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Mazatlan on March 28th (Diamond Princess) and Randi's sounds like a great time. I was on her website and it says pickup at 8:30am and return at 2pm. I've searched the threads and checked her website, but can't find information detailing the day. For example, how long does it take to get from the pickup location to her location? Is it by bus, taxi, boat? How much time is actually spent riding? Can you really ride the horses through the surf (not deep - just where the waves lap the beach)? Is the visit to Victors part of the day or does it extend past 2pm if you want to go there? It appears that any items ordered at Victors are the individual's responsibility, which is fine, just want to confirm.

My husband and I are traveling with his two sisters and their husbands. Normally, I wouldn't ask so many questions, but if I recommend something to them then I want to make sure it is the right excursion for them. My husband and I are going anyway because I have always wanted to ride a horse on the beach!

If you've read this far, I have a couple of more questions. On the Princess Excursions they have "Hideaway at Las Caletas". Anyone have any information on that? One of the sisters is interested. The other is Yelapa & Majahuitas Princess Excursion. Any info. on that one? Both are in Puerta Vallarta.

Thanks in advance for your information and time spent responding! I really appreciate your help.

I will be going on Randi's shore excursion next week. From what I have seen from other posters she picks you up after your ship docks. You take a open air truck/taxi to the water taxi that takes you to Stone Island. Once there you go on a cart pulled by a tractor to the horses. I think you ride the horses for about an hour along the beach and then you go to Victor's. You can order lunch from Victor's which you have to pay for and hang out at the beach in front. You can go back to the ship at your leisure. Hope that helps. I can give you a more detailed account when we return. I have to add that I am riding with my eight year old daughter and my husband and two year old son will be taking the transportation to the beach with Randi.

Thanks to both of you for your detailed replies. They gave me a much better idea of what the excursion would be like. Sounds like a nice time and I'll contact Randi to book. Gabismom - I'd love to hear your account of the trip when you come back. Thanks for the offer.

Happy Sailing to both of you!

You will absolutely love Randi and her group. We have done this 3 times now. We are 50/60 somethings and would not go to Mazatlan without seeing our friend. The ride to the island is an experience. First the open air "taxi", then the water taxi and then the tractor pulled trailer through this small village about 50 years behind times. Twice when we were there a new colt had just been born and we got to see it. Then the ride through the grove and onto the beach. My horse loved to just meander in the shallow water. It was so beautiful. After the horseback ride, a short walk to Victors. That first Pacifico sure tasted good. Our grandkids got some boogie boards from Victor's and the water was like bathwater. We had a hard time getting them out to eat. The shrimp is wonderful - both the garlic and the fried. Onion rings are huge. Guacomole is the best. And so much of it. Randi is a hoot - we have kept in touch and look forward to seeing her again soon. Enjoy your experience - nothing else like it.

I've booked Randi's for our Feb cruise. Nice to read all these wonderful reviews. Gabismom, please do post when u return! If my friends choose not to ride, they can just go to the beach/Victor's with Randi? Still the same cost? And I assume Randi gets you back to the ship? Thanks!

On 1 of our trips with Randi we did not ride but walked with her to Victors. She did not charge the full price then. I don't know what her policy is now - you could email her and ask. Yes, she takes care of getting you there and back to the ship.

Very nice Pics.....Thank you....What did you eat at Victor's..:confused: ....Did you do anything after Stone Island and before returning to the ship...?.....Isn't Randi the best.......:D..Did Randi last year and will be doing her in December...

My thirty year old son and I (I'll turn 60 on the cruise) will be going on this tour in January and after talking to Randi on the phone . . . I can't wait. I haven't been on a horse since I was in my teens so should be very interesting. Question . . . what did ya all wear . . . as in clothes and shoes?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, back from our cruise - sorry it took so long to respond. Randi's Happy Horses is one of most favorite shore excursions. It is an adventure. When you arrive in Mazatlan the dock is a true working dock and you have to take a little tram from the ship to a shopping area. Randi will meet you in the little plaza of the shopping area; just look for her pink sign. She will take you to this open air taxi type thing - really more like benches in the back of a pick up. Then you will get on a water taxi to cross the bay to Stone Island. When you are on the water taxi you will get a very nice view of your cruise ship. When you arrive on the island you then get on a trailer that is pulled by a tractor. The island is quite interesting and Randi does a great job of telling you the history. You are taken to the home of a local that owns the horses. He and his family have about 40 horses and they are all just beautiful. You are matched up to a horse that will be a good match for you to ride. After you are saddled up you go through the coconut grove out to the beach. The amount of time that you ride the horses is about an hour and it seems to go so quickly. I have to warn you that on the way back the horses seem eager to go home but Randi says that the horse has figured out what you are comfortable doing. Victors is a nice break after the horse ride. It is an open air restaurant and Victor is a very nice guy. Randi buys the first round of drinks and you have the opportunity to order off the menu. We had the coconut shrimp which I have to say is the most fantastic shrimp that I ever had and I used to live near the Gulf of Mexico so I have eaten a lot of shrimp. The beach is a nice beach with warm, calm water. You get to enjoy the beach for a while as Randi does like to get you back to the port area by two because she does not want to have you miss your boat! So, you do the reverse of your trip to Stone Island.

My son (2) and my husband came along but did not ride the horses. The walked to the beach from where the horses live and it was about two to three blocks. The family that owns the horses are so wonderful and friendly. The horse's owner (and I completely apologize for not remembering his name) sensed that my son was a little sad that he didn't get to ride the horse so he let my son ride a horse around the corral and offered to let him ride a horse down to the beach. My son enjoyed playing in the sand while my husband enjoyed his Pacifico beers ;-) Randi charged $15 per person for the non-horse riding visitors and that included all of the transportation as well as the first drink.

I would highly recommend this if you want to ride the horses or if the person doesn't mind just hanging out at the beach. If you have anyother questions just e-mail me mai_e@yahoo.com

Very nice Pics.....Thank you....What did you eat at Victor's..:confused: ....Did you do anything after Stone Island and before returning to the ship...?.....Isn't Randi the best.......:D..Did Randi last year and will be doing her in December...

Hubby had the coconut shrinp, Ryan had the garlic shrimp and I had the ribs! Yummy! After doing Randi's, when we were being taken back to the ship, Mario asked the driver of the open air truck how much he would charge to take us on a quick 1 hour tour of Mazatlan, he said $5 each so the whole group of us had a quick tour of the city! The driver did a great job as you can see by the pictures! We had a blast! ;)

Archived