Zipline - cruise ship vs. independent

jcsaaleber

On Feb. 18, 12 members of my family will be heading to the Western Caribbean aboard the Carnival Valor. One of the excursions we discussed doing was the zipline in Roatan. I've been reading the reviews. The 2 most common zipline companies that have been mentioned are South Shore Canopy and Gumbalimba Park.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I've notice a couple of spots where someone said Gumbalimba does not take tours unless it's through the cruise line. Is this also true for zipline?

2) Has anyone done the Pirates zipline which has been mentioned? Which company is that through?

We've never been to Roatan before. Looking for any suggestions for a great trip.

Carla

Hiyarelease,

How did you find out which zip lines are insured and which ones are not? I have read this a few times on these boards and was just wondering about the accuracy of the information. Is there a website with this information or did you get the info personally or through another person?

I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just trying to get the information straight from the horse's mouth.

We want to do the zip lines at Palmetto and might re-think it if they are not properly insured.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi if you are trying to have a great time and be safe at the same time the canopy for you is the palmetto zip line. The palmetto zip line and the pirates of the caribbean are the only canopys built by certified enginers. They both dont use an extra safety cable because they use the french system in which the cable is not ajusted untill complettly tight in which case you need it. In the french system tha advantage is you dont use a hand brake, the guides are trained to stop you as you get to the platforms this allowing you to relax more and enjoy the tour. To contact the palmetto ziplines roatanjungle@yahoo.com www.roatanjungle.com

Archived