SCAVI TOUR - Vatican notification

Hi

I applied to go on a scavi tour and finally got a response from the Vatican Office. They told me the total cost and asked me to fax or email my credit card payment to confirm our SCAVI TOUR. I sent the email to them and immediately got an automated notification saying my email has been received. I have yet to receive a receipt for transaction that they told me I would get. Does anyone know when I could expect this?? Please let me know what you experienced.

Thanks

: )

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question because I have not gone. However, I did request the tour and got an automated response saying they will let me know. Would you tell me when you are going on the tour and when you requested the tour? I requested it last week for a end of November 2006 tour. Thanks.

I think it took a few days from when I faxed our cc payment info and I recieved the reply that I was paid in full. This was a great tour for us! For Cruise to Relax, our cruise was in June, I think I originally requested a reservation for the tour in February, knowing June was a busy time of year in Italy, I think I heard back in April to send in the payment. I wouldn't panic until 30 days or so before you plan to be there, then fax again.

I sent my email with the credit card info on October 5th and received the receipt on October 10th for the Scavi Tour. Have you heard if the new Necropolis finds will be on this tour? They are supposed to open that section at the end of October but I don't know on which tours. I'm excited about my visit on Nov. 18th.

BTW, the Scavi Tour is of the underground excavations and the tours have to be reserved ahead of time and only a certain number per day may go in as part of a small group of 10 or 12.

Hope this gives an idea of the wait time right now.

Barb

The announcement of the new Necropolis opening at the Vatican was made 10/9 or 10/10. Go to the CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM ROLL CALL for 10/17/06 VENICE TO BARCELONA.

I and others have posted the news releases or links.

Nothing mentioned about availability on tours, Scavi, or not.

• 1 month later...

Hi, We did this tour in September and were thrilled that we were selected. They only take 12 in a group and I think there are only 1 or 2 English speaking tours a day. We received our final confirmation about two weeks before we left on our trip. Finding where you meet the tour is a little tricky. When you are facing the Vatican the tour office is on the left side, past the Vatican post office (be sure and mail a post card to friends back home!) and through a gate. They check your reservation so be sure and bring it! You will be going down beneath St. Peter's and seeing the old burial grounds. It is so interesting! I would love to do it again! I don't think a wheelchair could make it. There are some tight spots where you go single file etc.

WE tried to book the tour on our own a few months before our July 2005 cruise. We never heard rom the Vatican. Finally, in desperation, I E mailed the Conceirge at our pre-cruise hotel, the Excelsior. He made the reservation for us that day and we had no problem. I did send him the credit card information. If all else fails, try contacting your hotel...they seem to have a bit of pull in this area. As for a wheelchair,fom my experience it wuld be quie difficult. There are steps to negotiate as well very narrow passsages .

Good Luck!

Karen

Archived