I did not know this....

star10

I went to get my passport this weekend. The woman processing it told me that many people aren't aware that without a US Passport, you don't have rights in another country.

Not sure if I'm wording that correctly... If I am, can someone help me out?

I just thought it was interesting.

I went to get my passport this weekend. The woman processing it told me that many people aren't aware that without a US Passport, you don't have rights in another country.

I don't know if that would be true or not. It does serve as an international form of identification. You can visit the official passport website and maybe find the information.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Well I guess that you wouldn't, if you didn't have the proper id. The problem I see is you having to carry it around with you everywhere, increasing the chance of it being lost. I think its a d#mned if you do and d#mned if you don't situation, that will last the rest of our lives.

What she probably meant is that it is proof of your US citizenship and entitles you to certain protections (access to embassies, ability to leave by air). A driver's license and bc don't mean anything to most foreign governments in terms of your citizenship, but a passport does.

Maybe some exageration on her part, but yes, if you found yourself in some sort of shakedown or in the middle of unexpected political turmoil in a foreign country, not having your passport would be a very, very bad thing.

Maybe some exageration on her part, but yes, if you found yourself in some sort of shakedown or in the middle of unexpected political turmoil in a foreign country, not having your passport would be a very, very bad thing.
such as.......I wouldn't have wanted to be wondering around Puerto Rico earlier this year when all of that rioting was going on without a passport. I know the cruise lines wouldn't have let anyone off there had they thought it was too dangerous, but these are things ya never know about. Better to have it and not need it..............

Yup, pretty much. For some lame reason, many people think that they can just go about in a foreign country with a DL from the US, LOL... that will get you nowhere. They think just because they come in on a cruise ship, they are okay... many find out the hard way.

Just a question...this is our first cruise with passports; pro's and con's for carrying a copy off the ship or bringing the original with you?

Lots of discussion on every board on this topic. You might try the search button to locate them. In the meantime though you will probably hear equally from those who take passports with them off the ship & those who don't. We carry them off the ship & leave a copy in our room safe. if you miss the ship a copy will not get you from one country into another to reboard the ship. A copy will suffice however to get you back into the states from the ship if your original is stolen AND it is reported and documented as stolen ASAP.

Also carry a copy of your travel insurance with you when you leave the ship in port calls.

Just a question...this is our first cruise with passports; pro's and con's for carrying a copy off the ship or bringing the original with you?

I would not step foot on foreign soil without one... If something happens to it, that's on me, but I do my best to protect it. A "copy" isn't going to get you anywhere...

We take our original. I know a lot of people make copies and take that with them but that concerned me too. In certain situations, as I am sure you are aware, copies are not acceptable and my luck if I needed it to get me out of a situation or as proof of something I would get the one person who says a copy is not an acceptable form of identification. :rolleyes:

I would not step foot on foreign soil without one... If something happens to it, that's on me, but I do my best to protect it. A "copy" isn't going to get you anywhere...

Our first cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. So the only island we should take the PP with us is St. Maarten, correct or not?

I from Canada and my wife is from the UK. We have had passports for years and we would not traval without them. I don't require to show mine to US customs yet when I cross into the US but my wife does and she has get a vistors visa which last for 3 months. It does make it a lot easier to cross when I do show them my passport.

Our first cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. So the only island we should take the PP with us is St. Maarten, correct or not?

Even in San Juan and St. Thomas, even though they are US territories it is better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't trust a picture ID or driver's license anywhere except "mainland USA".

becasue of agreement with the cruise ship. i've been to SJ, ST and SM twice. you just swipe your sign and sail and you're done.

Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are both owned by the United States. No they are not part of the US like one of the 50 states, but it is legally US soil.

Having said that, a passport is an invaluable thing. If you have it, take it. Chances are you will never need it, but the one time you do.....

Mark T

Original passports go with us....copies stay on the ship. If I need it, I want to have it and (knock on wood) have never lost as much as a stick of gum in port so not so worried about losing it. We protect them as much as possible but they go with us.

The passport regulations extending to 2009 are by land and by sea. If you need to get home from port by air, you'd better have a passport come January 1 (and NOW depending on what countries you're visiting).

Always make a copy of your passport and keep it in the safe onboard ship. The passport is the official document, a copy means nothing to a foreign government. The benefit of the copy is if your passport is lost or stolen. Case in point:

My son was on a college study program to Equador. He had to show his passport to get from an Amazon research area, went to Quito and was supposed to fly home the following day. He had his passport when going to dinner that night but when he checked the morning of his flight NO PASSPORT.

He had to go to the American embassy there. He thought I was crazy for insisting he bring a copy of his passport in his suitcase. His study group had to leave but he could not return with them. It took 24 hours to get a new passport which was days quicker because he had the copy with him.

Luckily a professor at the university there took him home for the night and he flew home the following day. He was told that without the copy it could have been days to a week before they could research his identity and issue a new passport.

We never leave home without copies.

Always make a copy of your passport and keep it in the safe onboard ship. The passport is the official document, a copy means nothing to a foreign government. The benefit of the copy is if your passport is lost or stolen. Case in point:

My son was on a college study program to Equador. He had to show his passport to get from an Amazon research area, went to Quito and was supposed to fly home the following day. He had his passport when going to dinner that night but when he checked the morning of his flight NO PASSPORT.

He had to go to the American embassy there. He thought I was crazy for insisting he bring a copy of his passport in his suitcase. His study group had to leave but he could not return with them. It took 24 hours to get a new passport which was days quicker because he had the copy with him.

Luckily a professor at the university there took him home for the night and he flew home the following day. He was told that without the copy it could have been days to a week before they could research his identity and issue a new passport.

We never leave home without copies.

this is the perfect reason to NOT carry your original. you're more likely to lose or have your passport stolen than to 'need' it.

i also scan mine and email it to myself. in the unlikely event i lose AND 'need' it a copy is available anywhere a computer is.

Archived