Best time to book and onboard credits?

jonmar

I have been researching prices for April 2, 2007. The best price I have come up with is $3370 for a B5. This includes my wife, daughter and myself. The TA is also offering a $300 onboard credit. Does anyone know if onboard credits are promos offered by the cruise line or the TA? If I wait to see if the price drops, could the onboard credit offer disappear? Is the credit merely added to the cost, meaning the true cost is simply $3070? I'd just hate to book, only to find by Christmas the price has dropped like many voyages have ie December 2, 9, 16. One agent told me credits are only offered if the travel agency has 'group space'. Any advice would be welcome.

Well, the "best" deal I have seen was in the bargains section on this site. That was a 60% discount on a round-the-Horn trip we could not make.

But the best deal we have had, was from a series of three we booked while we were on board. Comparing the last to the next, I'd say at least a savings of 30% PLUS an impressively high amount of on-board credit of, um, about 15% of our bill for those segments.

As far as I know, that on-board only comes from Cunard.

I'd watch the "Bargains" section here. And then enjoy the benefits of re-booking while on-board.

There are many reasons why OBCs are given. They can be from the cruise line or a travel consortium (such as Ensemble or Virtuoso) or the TA directly. The promos can end at anytime and I would be careful waiting for a better cabin price while expecting the OBC to still be there.

Also the pricing on the April 2, 2007 cruise is a bit confusing, as there are regional promotions added into the mix. So, for example, a group price might be higher than a New Jersey resident price for the same cabin.

A final thought, as it is a spring break cruise, you might want to grab that cabin for 3 before there are none left...and if you have a good TA, he/she should be able to adjust the price if the fares drop.

I would definately book the trip now. I am going to be on that cruise with a group of 10 people. We recently booked the trip in AA category and with Gold Cunard status, and the best would could do with a large booking group of people was a very slight discount off the posted rate. I tend to agree that because of the time of year, it's going to be a popular cruise. Book it now and don't look back!

Archived