Alert!!! Everyone please read.

NYC95

As suggested by the Princess cruise line I registered online and filled in all necessary info on their website,including the credit card number I was going to use while onboard the Mexican Riviera cruise. Within 24 hours I was called by my credit card company and told that there was suspicious activity on my card. It turned out that someone had gotten my info and had tried to charge $500.00 on a gambling website. My credit card company did not let the tranaction go through,luckily for me, and I canceled the card.

I'm not definately saying that the Princess website was where this hacker got the info but I've charged online for years now and have never had this problem. It's too much of a coincidence.

As suggested by the Princess cruise line I registered online and filled in all necessary info on their website,including the credit card number...

I'm just curious - never heard of preregistering a credit card before the date of departure.**Is this a new thing or a specifically Princess thing?

This sounds like a phishing scam to me.**One should never use the web-links from an e-mail to provide personal info like this - always go to the website directly as e-mails and webpages can be spoofed and the link can take you someplace that looks official but one might note has a web-address that isn't that of the service provider.

It's odd though, they were doing pre-registering of credit cards back in 2004, but then and since then everytime we check in, they still ask us which credit card we're using and then they take an imprint of it .... just happened again in September. Not sure why they ask for it before hand, doesn't seem to speed up the embarkation process.

It's odd though, they were doing pre-registering of credit cards back in 2004, but then and since then everytime we check in, they still ask us which credit card we're using and then they take an imprint of it .... just happened again in September. Not sure why they ask for it before hand, doesn't seem to speed up the embarkation process.

That’s probably a requirement of the credit card companies – anyone can key a credit card number into the website, but in order for Princess to process the charges, they need to have proof that the credit card belongs to who the website says it does. The imprint provides that for them.

For what it’s worth, the web pages where you’re asked to input your credit card number on the Princess site are secure – normally that would mean some sort of encryption protocol encases the web pages and information entered there can’t be tampered with. That’s the normal situation…doesn’t necessarily mean someone hasn’t hacked the system.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve put my credit card numbers out on the Princess site since the ability was available and have never had a problem (now knocking wood).

I was informed yesterday by Costco Travel that it was Princess's policy that we use our card in pre-registering which I just did last night. Will keep an eye out for any extra charges. Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear about the pains you are going through.

Archived