What are the "pros"of cruising on a Sun class ship vs a Grand class?

lkmamom

Coral & Island are a separate class, although Princess website does lump several classes together.

Coral & Island have a different hull design, different tonnage, different passenger load, and were built in France, while the Sun class and Grand class were built in Italy. Two of the modified Grands, Diamond and Sapphire, were built by Mitsubishi, Nagasaki, Japan.

The key difference to a passenger between the Coral and Sun Class:

-Coral class has two decks of passenger entertainment space (including most of the spaces typically found on the Grand class like the explorer's lounge)

-the Coral class is, I think, actually as long as the Grand class but her beam (width) is much narrower. It's noticeable onboard.

-Think of the Coral class as Sun Class on steriods.

-the only con to the Coral class is the pool areas aren't as nice as either Grand class or Sun Class.

A big upside of the SUN CLASS - the main pool area is the best by far. There aren't chairs eight to a row, lots of little tables, lots of room to get close to the pools. The Sun class also offers more intimacy, lots of choice, an elegant feel, less frenzied feeling than the Grand class. I personally would never book a Grand class ship. I've only booked them when that was my only option for where I wanted to go. That said, I liked the Diamond best among that group. I am anxious to try either the Crown or Emerald because there are certain offerings unique to those ships which are highly appealing to me. (unlike MUTS which doesn't fit into my cruise world at all)

One thing no one has brought up is, although the Mini's on the Sun are as big as the full suites on Grand class, they are priced like them too! It's a big step from a balcony to mini on Sun class. That being said, we'll be on the Sun in a few short weeks :D ....glad to hear from above poster that they loved their Riviera balcony....that's what we have!

Lots of pluses for either imo, to be honest I don't have a favorite :)

Sun class has fewer people, which makes tendering a little smoother at times, and embarkation/disembarkation easier. The pizzeria is really nice. It's easier to get from here to there without your hiking boots because the ship is smaller. They are large enough to have plenty of services, nice pools, etc. There's a free sauna and steam bath. Lines at the buffet seem to be a bit shorter, but that's so subjective it's hard to know. Fewer kids running around if you want quiet. Nice mini-suites, and the balconies are tiny but private.

Grand class ships are newer, imo prettier but I know LOTS of ppl who disagree on that point, have more pools, maybe MUTS, probably more options of things to do if you get bored easily. I like the open air chess, and there's more open deck to explore. The kids facilities are nicer if you have kids. Better sports courts, exp on Diamond and Sapphire. Mini golf. More dining options are available for pc dining and specialty. Bigger balconies. Nice spas.

I've been in high seas on both Sun and Grand ships, neither seemed to be a problem really. The Regal, now that was rock and roll :(

Either way, can you really miss? It's a cruise! :)

If given a choice - I will always choose a Sun class ship over a Grand class ship.

The Sun class ships are more beautiful IMO. They also provide much better service compared to the Grand class ships. And I also love the pizzeria :)

Archived