Princess will be the first cruise line to convert entirely to electronic ticketing

johnlcruise

F.Y.I.

Saw this today.

Princess will be the first cruise line to convert entirely to electronic ticketing. E-ticketing will be in effect for most Princess cruises departing on and after November 17, 2006, and for Golden Princess cruises beginning with the December 16 sailing.

The biggest advantage for passengers? Electronic tickets may be obtained as early as 75 days prior to departure, whereas mailed documents have generally been delivered within the two weeks prior to sailing.

Soon after a reservation has been paid in full and pre-cruise immigration information has been completed, passengers will have access to their boarding pass and cruise details online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, passengers who ask us to make their air travel arrangements through Princess will also have the ability to view their air schedule online as early as 75 days prior to travel, instead of the 30-day industry standard.

Online cruise documents will include a personalized travel summary, itinerary, special request information, important notices, packages and transfers, shore excursion and spa pre-reservations, and a new boarding pass to be printed out and used for check-in. Passengers with suite accommodations or Platinum and Elite level members of Princess' Captain's Circle program will receive a "Preferred Boarding Pass" to be used at the "Preferred Boarding" check-in desk at the pier.

Passengers without internet access can obtain a travel summary and boarding pass directly from their cruise counselor. Princess still plans to mail pre-cruise documents, which include a welcome letter, Cruise Answer Book, Adventures Ashore excursion booklet, passage contract, Princess Travel Care (insurance) details (if applicable) and luggage tags, to all guests, 75 days prior to departure

We were a "test group" last spring for electronic ticketing. I have to say that we were a little apprehensive about the process at first, but everything was just fine. I am sure that they have the bugs worked out by now, but it really did not change the time involved with checking in. I will really miss the tickets coming in the mail, oh well..........

Linda

F.Y.I.

Saw this today.

Princess will be the first cruise line to convert entirely to electronic ticketing. E-ticketing will be in effect for most Princess cruises departing on and after November 17, 2006, and for Golden Princess cruises beginning with the December 16 sailing.

Have just booked a Feb Celebrity cruise & already have my E-ticket, or Xpress pass as they call it, and this is over 100 days out. However I'm not sure that Celeb. are changing totally to e-tickets, if that's what is implied in the Princess press release.

Passengers without internet access can obtain a travel summary and boarding pass directly from their cruise counselor. Princess still plans to mail pre-cruise documents, which include a welcome letter, Cruise Answer Book, Adventures Ashore excursion booklet, passage contract, Princess Travel Care (insurance) details (if applicable) and luggage tags, to all guests, 75 days prior to departure

It's not entirely 100% E-ticketing. A lot of elderly people don't use the internet (or computers) but like to cruise. They are also looking out for people that don't have computers (Yes, there are people out there that don't have them.)

This is not really new news - travel agents have known this for almost two months and have been told what to do for those clients that do not have e-mail. I think it is a great feature.

Well some people didnt know that john, so thank you for letting the others know. I think it is a great idea.

It's not entirely 100% E-ticketing. A lot of elderly people don't use the internet (or computers) but like to cruise. They are also looking out for people that don't have computers (Yes, there are people out there that don't have them.)

If people book through a travel agent, the travel agent will receive the e-tickets and have to print them and mail to the customers.

If they book directly through Princess, Princess is supposed to take care of it.

One of the nicest things about cruising is the boarding pass or the ticket or whatever you refer to it as. I know it is not the actual cruise itself but it is, even as small a thing as it might be, still a part of the cruise expierence. And I am talking about the little blue book you wait for and finally get in the mail. I remember as a child that the ticket was my little piece of the cruise well worth waiting for and watching for each day when opening the letterbox. I will miss them, as the e-ticket on the computer will be nothing more than a piece of printer paper. What will I use for a bookmark on the cruise for crying out loud? There was always something in that little blue book of tickets that the check-in-staff did not tear out which would become my bookmark. I would use it to mark all of those wonderful things I read as the surf moved slowly past the ship. Oh well, I hope the savings that the cuts will make for the company will be appreciated by the shareholders. And I can guarantee you that it will not make our prices go down any. And it will certainly not make those lines shorter either despite what they say. 3000 people are 3000 people and they all show up at once. Next year the cruise prices will be higher than this year rest assured of that. The lines will still be as long and I will have to come up with something else for a bookmark. Ahh progress, it is profitable, but for who. This probably sounds ridiculous but it’s one of those nice “little” things about cruising I hate to see go.

As silly as it sounds, I too will miss the ticket books. I guess now I will just have to get excited about luggage tags coming in the mail. It's a cruise, so I can work myself up for anything, so YIPPIE for luggage tags coming in the mail! See how easy it was to adapt? Bye, bye cruise ticket booklets, HELLO luggage tags!:p

Archived