What to wear

nicsie

This is my first cruise. I have no clue what to bring/wear for the cruise especially for dinner at night. Do they tell you what days you need to be dressed up? At the formal dinner can my boyfriend just get a way with black pants/shirt and tie? Does he need a suit coat? I am planning to wear a tea-length strapless black dress Informal - can i wear a strapless cream color cotton dress? What should by boyfriend wear for the informal night? does he need a tie? I am getting fustrated and I know I shouldn't be. Please help me out any way you can. Thanks Alot!! Nicole:confused:

On carnivals home page (lower right) there is a list of Frequently asked question that cover a wide range of topics.

I usually pack 1 fancier dress for formal night and another two full length summer dresses for the others plus a couple pairs of capris that I can wear with different tops. Other than that it is short and T's for the daytime.

On non-formal nights, I usually wear a golf or polo style shirt and a pair of khakis. For formal night, I wear a suit. I have seen some tux's, but more suits than the tux.

If your BF does not own a suit, there are two simple solutions to formal night. First, just rent a tux onboard. It's like $85, and he will look like a million bucks. A second easy solution is to buy a navy sports coat (which honestly, every man should own....it's our version of the little black dress). He can wear the sports coat with the khakis, a button down shirt, and a tie, and he'll cruise (pun intended) right on through formal night no problem.

Depending on where you shop, you can find a decent blue blazer for $100 or less.

As a guy, I have actually pulled off a sharp black suit and a plain black dress T-shirt for a Miami Vice look with dress shoes. Just came back today from 8 days. One suit for 2 formal nights (different shirts) and three other pairs of dress slacks- a variety of shirts (all button up). Decided to wear ties this week. It does disappoint me when some folks take no effort for formal nights- but just my opinion. They can go to the lido deck if they care to dress informally and have the same basic food.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Here is the link to the fashion boards. Your post may get moved there anyway. Since you are new I will tell you that the dress on formal nights is one of the most highly argued points of discussion on these boards. Everyone has an opinion of what is right or wrong. Read the Carnival information on dress and look at the fashion boards. You can also use the search function above and put in formal night dress and you should find lots of threads with information. Whatever you wear on formal night be sure to have your photo taken a several different photo stations and then pick the one you like.

In my opinion even though you are cruising other than summer, you should dress in summer type fashions. ;)

Archived