Carnival Legend vs. VOS vs. Norwegian Dawn

davy jones

Hi All,

I am looking for a family cruise out of NYC next summer. We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn last month and enjoyed it immensely, but it's the same itinerary next year.

I am looking at an 8 night Carnival Legend sailing and a 9 night sailing on the Voyager of the Seas.

Can you give me the pros and cons of the Legend vs. the other two ships?

I do know that the Dawn is freestyle and the others have traditional seating.

In other words, talk me into or out of sailing the Legend.

Thanks.

I don't know if I can help but I was on the Dawn last year.....And it is a great ship(love freestyle) but the itinerary is the same so I would suggest going on another....

....I was on the CCL Pride (sister ship to the Legend) and it was great! No freestyle but we took the late seating and it was fine.

...A few of my friends and family are going on the 8 day Legend in August & Sept and the main difference for them was the price. The Legend was a lot more affordable for a bigger cabin/balcony....But that is up to you....

...If I wasn't preggers, I would be going on the Legend as well...

I have been on the Voyager and the sisters to the Legend and Dawn and as far as overall ships I would rate them 1. VOS 2.Legend 3. Dawn. THe best thing about the Dawn and NCL is freestyle cruising with no formal nights. The Spirit class ships of Carnival are their best and there have been improvements with dining room food and the specialty restraunts is really excellent. The Voyager is the best overall ship of the 3 with ample activities... ice skating, rock climbing, in-line skating on top of the normal cruise activities. The service and food levels are all average with no significant line standing out... just typical mass cruise line. I would defintiely try a new ship though and a new itinerary. The Dawn itinerary is one of the worst ones out there in my opinion.

I have sailed the Legend and we loved it. we went 8 day to San juan and to St. Thomas. The ship was beautiful and the service was great!! I am thinking of sailing on the Dawn next time only because I have done 3 Carnival cruises and would like to try another cruise line, but I think you will love the Legend!

VOS definitely has my vote! Sailed on its sister ships EOS and AOS...there is no comparison to any other ship I've been on! The Dawn would be my second choice and Carnival would be my last choice (thought the Miracle was so second-rate compared to Voyager-class).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=265 (dawn)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=253 (legend)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=105 (vos)

These are usually fairly accurate and give great insight. On a personal note, I tend to favorite the legend or the dawn over the vos. I know as a TA, I should promote all three ships but, i wouldn't be doing my job if I simply sold you a bill of goods. I have sailed on several RCCL ships and while the ships are outstanding - clean, beautiful, etc...well, in my humble opinion, I have yet to have a decent meal on RCCL. I've found Carnival to be improving all the time and, have nothing but praise for the Dawn's restaurant selection (however, I should tell that I opted for the surcharge restaurants...whether the food is as good in the "free" restaurants, I can't say one way or another). I also didn't like the fact that RCCL totally ignored my dining requests, I asked for late sitting, I was given early. I asked for a small table and was given a large table. I asked the maitre d to tend to my needs (after tipping a $20) and no results. This happened not once but, on all RCCL ships I have been upon which now total 5.

If you're not a foodie and are more concerned about things to do, then VOS might be the best choice. You'll be far from bored! But, if you enjoy your meals, and, look forward to them...go with the Dawn or the Legend.

Sorry if I stepped on the toes of any loyalist of RCCL! I know you're out there, but, remember this is only my humble opinion!

No matter what cruise line you select, enjoy yourself!

Hi Davy:

I can't speak for everyone, I can only offer my personal experience. When I stated that I had requested a table for four on RCCL, my request was never honored, even after tipping to help ensure it would be done. I travel with my parents frequently and, while they aren't anti-social, they do prefer privacy when dinning - I'm sorry to say RCCL is the only line that completely ignored our requests time and time again. You'd think they'd go the extra mile, knowing that I'm a TA, so that I would give glowing reports of the ship and cruise line but, it simply hasn't been the case. Maybe other's have been successful with their requests, so, I can't say this is absolutely the case. I can tell you that Carnival does have tables for four, even tables for two on request. The NCL Dawn will also accommodate your requests for a small table without tablemates.

As for the Legend, I have yet to sail upon her but, I did sail upon sister ship Carnival Pride in July, 2003 to Bermuda. I LOVED IT! Truly the best Carnival Cruise to date! My negatives about the Pride were few and far between. For example, the decor is a bit much...while much better than the usual neon overkill, the ship was still gaudy. Did it effect the enjoyment of the cruise? Absolutely not. The entertainment was hit or miss - but, I didn't care, because there were too many other things to do occupy my time. After a year's absense from sailing on Carnival I was pleasantly surprised to find the food had been improved - and I loved the alternative restaurant which was an added plus to me.

I've been in the travel industry for a long time now, over ten years. I've been on over 30 cruises and inspected no less than 100 ships during my time as a TA. There are lots of things that can make or break a cruise for anyone, it's all a matter of personal choice and tastes. It's also possible for two different people to be on the exact same ship, on the exact sailing date and have totally different experiences and opinions about the cruise. Sometimes, you just have to chance it - remember nothing is guaranteed.

What makes your decision hard is that you've selected 3 top rated ships. I'll just reiterate and state that if you want LOTS of things to do and aren't concerned about food, then I'd recommend VOS. If food rates either one or two on your priority scale, then select either the Legend or Dawn.

Please let us know of your decision!

Tina from NJ

Archived