Airfare in Feb %*@!!!$$%@

star10

Keep at it. When I was looking for a flight from Ottawa (Canada), to Ft. Lauderdale I saw a 1 hopper for X amount and the direct flight was $920.00 (ish). So let's wait a bit. Next day, the direct flight was cheaper than the 1 hopper, so 2 round trip flights including all the add ons (8 I believe) came to less than $1100.00. Don't give up man, keep going, work that mouse.

Hi,

I used the :o icon more as to say "my bad"... I'm not embarrassed. Oh God, it takes a lot more to embarrass me!!!

Thank you all again for your help. I'm going to keep trying and I'll try at night. Unfortunately, with my husbands job, there is no way to get there a day early.

You know the funny part of this whole thing is that I had assumed my kid's were on vacation this week... they have been for the past 4 years... I booked it without checking. Come to find out they only have Monday off this year!! So we are travelling this pricey week for nothing!! Well, not really for nothing, because it sounds like an awesome cruise... the ports are great, the ship (Liberty) sounds great... and we got a pretty good deal. It's just the air may kill us!

Oh my goodness . . . think I better get on the ball and look into flights from the East Coast to Long Beach. I'm so used to fying to Miami for my cruises, hadn't really thought about how much more expensive my flight to California will be. I booked my January cruise last December and now I have less than three months . . . :eek:

Flying from one coast to the other is always cheaper-- kinda wierd considering the amount of fuel being used.

It was soooo much cheaper for me to fly to San Juan then it is to fly to Fort Lauderdale.

You are right. We live in Ma and my daughter just flew to LA and back for 298.00 on Delta, NONSTOP! I can't even get to my sisters in Alabama that cheap..One cruise, we booked our air in April for the following Feb. Another year, we gave up and took an extra week off before Feb vacation, and our cruise, to fly down cheaper.:cool:

Oh my goodness . . . think I better get on the ball and look into flights from the East Coast to Long Beach. I'm so used to fying to Miami for my cruises, hadn't really thought about how much more expensive my flight to California will be. I booked my January cruise last December and now I have less than three months . . . :eek:

You should be fine if you start looking now. Lots of sales the first couple weeks of January. AA has NYC/LAX for $268 + taxes through Dec. 15 and then again from Jan 6-Feb. 15-some restrictions and not available Fridays or Sundays.. The real problem is Florida and President's Week/Spring Break/Easter.

Trying to make sense of teh airlines' revenue management system is futile.

Keep trying, weekly at least, daily if possible, as fares fluctuate a lot.

Depends on your destination - My fare for Jan (Indianapolis to San Juan) has been stuck at the same price since $3.19/gallon gas in July, and has seen variation of $10 at most on a $400 fare. The only change is whoever offers the fare, and the connections, but the fare has been stuck at the same price for months.

Other destinations see a lot more variation...

It's all sticker shock especially President's week in the northeast. Most schools are on vacation and it's been my experience that it's one of the priciest weeks of the year...sold 10 months in advance. I also think that the cost of flying will make the difference in cruising or not (for us anyway). The days of getting a $200 fare to Florida out of the northeast are gone...almost double for high season now!

Jetblue is over $600 rt for that week from Newark to FL. :eek:

The cheapest I've seen today is around $410 pp. I really don't want to go that high. I'm going to wait a little and keep checking.

But, yeah, this week sucks for airfare!!

It all comes down to basic economics and supply & demand 101. It's even more so as the number of people flying are going up while the airlines are holding the number of seats available for sale steady.

I remeber a couple of years ago of being able to get a NYC-San Diego ticket for $200, now a good price is somewhere in the $300-$400 range.

The days of low prices that we enjoyed post 9/11 is history for the foreseeable future. There will always be specials, but just don't expect them for every flight on every day.

about those specials-- i was able to book first class seats at 15.00 more pp then what those were going for coach-- so really check.

Now i dont have to wait in line for checkin either coming home which is well worth the 30 bucks.

The Super Bowl is in Miami this year (well, the stadium is half-way between Fort Lauderdale and Miami) so all flights to FLL and MIA aren't going to be cheap traveling around Feb 4, 2007. The hotels will be pricey too. If you are renting a car, I would suggest flying into Palm Beach airport if you can.

Looking at Spirit from Detroit to Orlando 2/23/07. Fare has been 318.10 (including taxes) for some time. Watching great specials for 49, 69, 79 pp one way, however, timeframes only go through mid-November. Wondering what my odds are of getting 9 seats on the same plane if I wait and watch until Dec/Jan for one of those great deals. Comments?????

Archived