Conversation w/cabin steward - re: gifts

Cotton

On my most recent cruise, I had a nice conversation w/my cabin steward, who was probably the friendliest and most attentive I've ever seen. We got around to 'gifts', and he told me that he and his cabin mate have over 100 phone cards in their cabin.:eek:

He said that, although they appreciate the thought and generosity of passengers, and of course they smile and say thank you for every gift, it would be so much better for them if they didn't get all these nice things...cash is so much more needed - for them to send back home to their families.

I know this has been discussed on the boards many times.... but I thought I'd throw that out for anyone, maybe newbies, who may be thinking about gifts and phone cards.:)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I gave my steward $20 when I met him on the first day -- just a little motivation. As I was leaving on the last morning, I handed him another $20 and what was left of a bottle of Rum Punch that I had purchased on one of the islands. The bottle was practically full because the rum punch was so strong that I had to dilute it with the ship's fun punch and still couldn't drink it.

Well my steward was happy about the $20 but his face really lite up when he realized that I was also giving him the bottle of rum punch.

I always give them a tip in the beginning of the cruise. It motivates and shows appreciation so that I reap the benefit of my tip. If I am displeased after that, I can always go and remove the tip from my bill.

Glad to read your post. I only tipped and didn't "gift" on my other cruise but do when I go to an all inclusive resort. After reading other posts on here I was wondering if I should bring some small gifts for the cabin steward this cruise. Makes sense they'd prefer the cash as they'd have pretty limited storage space on board and yeah, their families may not have a phone.

We always tip extra cash for our room steward,last week on the miracle we had one of the best ever his name is Iputu.Kim if by chance he is your room steward tell him Kim and Barry miss him(he loved playing Barry's guitar):) I also found out where Storm n Norman has been.He is a great guy and now I know his new screen name:D

Not to get off topic here, but Cotton, let me ask this:

Educate me on what range of compensation the service providers make on average. Don't get me wrong, I am pro tip, and have seen the stong opinions on tipping threads, and I feel I have never received less than "steller" customer care from my cabin team on any level of cruise I have taken. I also acknowledge that the superior service is the result of a combination of hard work and long hours...

Let me rephrase my question- Are these jobs on line with sweatshops, or is the compensation package/ opportunity curve decent from a global perspective? Do others feel tipping above suggested tipping "nice to receive"- (noone argues with a bonus) or an essential part of their comp package?

Archived