Best place to snorkle?

carlakruz

Sorry, I really have only snorkeled on Oahu, so I can only give info based on what others have said. On Kauia, Poipu Beach is probably the best. In Kona, others usually have recommended a snorkeling trip from the pier. I believe they usually go to Kealakekua bay, have also seen the area around the City of Refuge mentioned, you would need a car to get there. Hilo doesn't have much in the way of beaches so not really a good place for snorkeling. Kahului is also on the wrong side of the Island and the snorkeling spots are over on the opposite side of the Island up around the Kaanapali Beach Area. Basically the problem is that in winter the North shores of the Islands are subject to large waves and swimming in those areas is definitely not recommended. I know this isn't much help but maybe moving the thread to the top will get some more knowledgeable responses.

Could anyone tell me the best place to snorkle from Kauai, Kona, Hilo, or Kahului? We will be there in December. Thanks so much

Kauai...We stay at a condo in the Poipu area and there's a little cove next to it where several sea turtles live. I've had conversations with several of them as they come up for air.:D There's a beach on the other side of the complex where there's some decent snorkelling as well. On the north shore, there's an area called "the Tunnels". Several lava tubes in the area, and experienced snorkellers can get down into them.

Kona....Just down the coast a bit is Kahaluu Bay, a State Park, protected by a breakwater. The water is fairly shallow and there's lots of fish and turtles. Lots of people sometimes too. I think on our next visit in February that we'll take a Fair Winds tour to Kealakakua Bay which I'm told is great snorkelling.

Hilo...No idea

Kahului...Haven't done much snorkelling on Maui. Did a trip to Molokini once and it was good, but the water was quite rough in the afternoon. Morning is better. There's a beach between Lahaina and Kahului (can't remember the name...starts with "O") that I've been told has great snorkelling, but we've never done it there.

Hope this helps.

Kauai...POIPU BEACH PARK was great! Loads of fish there, shallow waters, restrooms.

Kona...Kealakakua Bay is AWESOME! Must go by boat...but worth it. Fish and coral galore.

Hilo is not know for snorkeling. I think if you went to the Southwest coastal areas...there may be some snorkeling.

We did Kealakekua in Kona (by Zodiac) last week. It was the best snorkeling I've done in ten cruises. Unfortunately, it was at the bottom of the site of the land slide over the weekend. I've asked the locals on the Hawaii Earthquake thread for updates on it. If it recovers, I'd highly recommend it.

Usually, if you walk around Pu'uhonua o Honaunau and look at the rock walls that extend into the sea, you can spot a whole bunch of green sea turtles at the edge of the water munching on the green algae growing at the water line. :)

Spleen

Archived