Suit Required?

nicsie

On formal night, especially on Carnival which is a more 'relaxed' line, the attire can be mixed. He should wear a suit or tuxedo. There will be passengers who do not but these are the cruise lines guidelines and I feel they should be respected. And it does make for a great opportunity to have a picture taken of the two of you - whether by the ships photographers or just a fellow passenger.

From Carnivals website:

"Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner."

Cheers,

He should definitely wear either a tux or suit - at the very least a sportscoat and tie. Some do show up on formal night in shirt and tie, but they are in the minority.

I've read many threads on formal night (too many):D - and some have said they got their husbands suit/sportscoat at a thrift shop. I think that's a fine idea for those who never wear items like that at any other time. Why not?

You might want to check out Cruise Critic's "Fashion Board" for more info. Have a great cruise!:)

we just returned from our first cruise yesterday. it was on the Victory, and on formal night we only saw a couple men without a jacket. the entire ship was really nice walking around and seeing everyone with thier nicer suits and dresses on. was a special feeling on board all evening. dress up, you both will enjoy it.

doug

As a practical matter, no one will throw him out of the dining room if he is dressed in less than a sportcoat on formal night, but he will definitely look out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you wearing? If it's a formal gown, or even a short cocktail dress, the two of you will look odd together in your formal pictures if he has no jacket on. He'll be the one looking like he's on a coffee break, or going to the water cooler.

When he sees how great the two of you look together, he won't mind dressing up at all. Men have it easy, all they have to wear is a jacket and tie (if they have the right size, these should not be uncomfortable). Women have to (or so we think) wear the heels, the Spanx, do the hair, the makeup, the nails etc...

Whatever your choices are, have a great cruise!

the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise),

Huh? What does this mean? You HAVE to eat in the formal dining room the last night?

I really wasn't planning on getting dressed up my last night.

Put a blazer over that and he'll be just fine...believe me !

Don't be scared off by what the traditionalists tell you to wear. I've been to umteen formal nites wearing a pair of Dockers,open collared shirt with a blazer and NEVER a problem.Just don't show up at the door wearing jeans,sneeks and a Cub shirt. Simply use your head.

Have a good cruise e CIAO,

Archived