statendam

momofmeg

We were on the Statendam in 2001 and I thought I saw while on ship that the ship was built in 1996. Later someone told me on these boards that this ship was over 20 years old. So I thought maybe I was wrong.

Then I recently read there has been several Statendams. So does anyone know when the current Statendam was launched?

I think this one is number 5 or 6, as you walk around her you can see paintings of all of them.

Virgil

The current Statendam is number V (5).

Statendam I at 10,491 gross tons served HAL from 1898-1910

Statendam II **

Statendam III at 29,511 gross tons served HAL from 1924-1940

Statendam IV at 24,294 gross tons served HAL from 1957-1981

**STATENDAM II was launched on July 9, 1914, but due to WWI, completed in 1917 as the British troopship Justicia under White Star Line management. She was torpedoed on July 19, 1917 by German submarine U-64 and sunk the next day by U-124. In 1915 HAL still had hopes of taking delivery of STATENDAM II and used her image on pamphlets (see below).

ideal1.jpg

Hi John,

Where did you find that picture of the pamphlet? It's great.

Valerie:)

Hi Val, check out the unofficial HAL homepage at http://www.unofficial.net/hal/

Very cool site!

Also Statendam III served from 1929 (not 1924) to 1940 when, during the German invasion, she was caught in a crossfire between German and Dutch forces. She burnt out between 11-12 May 1940 and was scrapped in August of that year.

statclr.jpg

Statendam, first of the Statendam class was built 1993 and is the oldest of the ships in the line built specifically for HAL (for reference the oldest ship in the line is the Prisendam which was originally built in 1988 for another line).

We were on the Statendam in 2001 and I thought I saw while on ship that the ship was built in 1996. Later someone told me on these boards that this ship was over 20 years old. So I thought maybe I was wrong.

Then I recently read there has been several Statendams. So does anyone know when the current Statendam was launched?

Archived