cruising with teens

nosealegs

Hi,

We have just booked on the Carnival Glory for Mar 10/07 and were wondering about the programs for teens on board. Is there truly a teens disco for ages 15-17 or do other younger kids go in there as well which I am sure would not be so hot with the teens??

Is there really much for them to do besides hang around? We have not cruised before and are concerned about the two teens, ages 17 and 15 being bored and driving us nuts!!

We are really looking foreward to our trip on the Glory but are worried that their boredom may make it not so great for us.

Please comment and help us out

Thanks

The Canucks from Ontario

There will be a lot of other things beside the disco for the teens to do. Camp Carnival puts together a pretty good offering of daily activities. There are several groups which are broken up by age and there will be a "Camp Carnival Teen Capers" which will list the organized activities and games for the week.

Usually teens seem to gravitate to eachother and meet and then arrange where to hang out and what to do if they don't want to participate in the ship organized stuff.

On the first night of your cruise there will be a Teen Meeting/Orientation. I would suggest having your kids go to that. This is the opportunity for them to meet other teens on the sailing whether they want to participate in the organized activities or not.

I prefer Late Seating for dinner and the Teen meeting usually overlaps with that so I let my kids skip dinner in the DIning Room with me that first night so they can go.

Club O2 is the program for teens 15-17. My 15 YO participated in the program on both Legend and Victory this year, and we hardly ever saw him aside from dinner. Both ships had a dedicated area for Club O2, and the staff did a good job keeping out the younger (and some older!) teens. There are scheduled activities - the kids can participate in as many or as few as they'd like, or just hang out in the club to listen to music or play computer games. I agree with Liza - have them go to the orientation meeting the first night to get themselves registered and start meeting other teens.

Kathy - Can you tell me where on the Legend the Club O2 is located??

It's on deck 10 forward, near the spa and the gym. (It doesn't show on Carnival's deck plans.) On our cruise, registration started at 8 p.m. and the Welcome Aboard party for Club O2 was at 9 p.m.

It's on deck 10 forward, near the spa and the gym. (It doesn't show on Carnival's deck plans.) On our cruise, registration started at 8 p.m. and the Welcome Aboard party for Club O2 was at 9 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah, I have noticed that they did not update the deck plans after they added O2. One of my DD's is 16 1/2 so she will certainly need to check that out! I am a little concerned about my 2nd DD who is 14. She is in H.S and I am afraid that the 12 - 14 age group stuff will be to young for her. Additionally, she has been corresponding with a couple of kids on our Roll Call who are 15 and in addition to her sister we are sailing with her cousin who is 15. Since she is only 14 she will probably not be able to go to O2 while all her friends will. (To the OP.....from what I have read they are pretty good about not letting anyone into O2 who is not 15 (or just a couple of months shy at most).

Thanks. Yeah, I have noticed that they did not update the deck plans after they added O2. One of my DD's is 16 1/2 so she will certainly need to check that out! I am a little concerned about my 2nd DD who is 14. She is in H.S and I am afraid that the 12 - 14 age group stuff will be to young for her. Additionally, she has been corresponding with a couple of kids on our Roll Call who are 15 and in addition to her sister we are sailing with her cousin who is 15. Since she is only 14 she will probably not be able to go to O2 while all her friends will. (To the OP.....from what I have read they are pretty good about not letting anyone into O2 who is not 15 (or just a couple of months shy at most).

Liza - A little while ago there was a post from one of the O2 hosts regarding his policy on ages. I tried searching for it, but the search feature's acting up on me. His name was Doug.) It doesn't apply to all O2 hosts, but his view was that if you can show proof you're in high school (e.g., a school I.D. with picture), you can register for Club O2. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Liza - A little while ago there was a post from one of the O2 hosts regarding his policy on ages. I tried searching for it, but the search feature's acting up on me. His name was Doug.) It doesn't apply to all O2 hosts, but his view was that if you can show proof you're in high school (e.g., a school I.D. with picture), you can register for Club O2. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

I remember a thread about this on the Carnival Board. It was his info that I was basing my concern on actually (if we are thinking of the same thread) because he said that he (and a few other) Teen Directors stuck with a "within 3 mths of 15" policy....My DD only turned 14 in the beginning of Sept and we are cruising next month so I am thinking that it is not very likely that they will let her in. She has not received her photo id from H.S. yet. I am hoping that we get it very soon and will bring it along and see what happens but I am not going to count on her being able to get in.

I am sure that she will have a good time and find plenty of things to do but I also know that she will be disappointed if her friends, sister and cousin are all hanging out there without her!!!

I have read some thread on here about the loud partying teens aboard Carnival and that security just lets them carry on. Is there a age restriction for booking a cruise room? I thought it was 25 but I could be wrong. Are the parents of these teens just allowing them to run wild? Have any of you experienced this before? I am nervous now about not steeping etc. I don't read the same sorts of posts on other ships and I was wondering if maybe the rules for booking are different or something. The week we are booked is for March 10 2007. This is our spring break in Ontario Canada. Is this also a break week in the states?

I have read some thread on here about the loud partying teens aboard Carnival and that security just lets them carry on. Is there a age restriction for booking a cruise room? I thought it was 25 but I could be wrong. Are the parents of these teens just allowing them to run wild? Have any of you experienced this before? I am nervous now about not steeping etc. I don't read the same sorts of posts on other ships and I was wondering if maybe the rules for booking are different or something. The week we are booked is for March 10 2007. This is our spring break in Ontario Canada. Is this also a break week in the states?

Spring breaks for college vary in the states - generally, anywhere from the end of February through March. When DH taught college, his students' (not his) spring break usually was the first week of March. Here in New York, public elementary and high school kids generally are off a week in February (hence our February 17 cruise) and a week in April. Private schools vary - the private school our oldest used to attend had two weeks off in March.

There is an age restriction on bookings. Since you're booked on a 7-day cruise, I wouldn't worry too much about spring break college cruisers - for the most part, it's out of their price range.

Archived